Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Looks like the pro peloton has one more reason NOT to use disc brakes [smartyiak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
smartyiak wrote:
.....Also, it appears that lots of ProTour bikes are over 15lbs....

This is quite true. Plenty pro bikes are well in excess of the minimum 6.8kg limit so it would seem pro riders and teams at least are aware that weight isn't everything and are unlikely to have a big issue with this rule. In fact if there was a poll among pro riders on whether or not they wanted the weight limit, I wonder how that would go? I suspect most would be happy to keep it.
So perhaps it doesn't matter too much if the rule is removed because the teams won't chase the lowest possible weight? But then one of them will, and they'll go too far.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Apr 7, 17 1:10
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the pro peloton has one more reason NOT to use disc brakes [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
Come on. I know you remember the 90s, when ridiculously light CNC'd aluminum phased into poorly engineered carbon. The race to reduce weight took precedence over good engineering - as it always will

I was racing a lot back then, and I don't know what you are talking about. There were some boutique "crazy light" parts available (and there still are), but these were not used by the pros.

You don't understand engineering very well if you think it is incompatible with low weight. Rather that's when engineering and new materials and techniques become more important.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the pro peloton has one more reason NOT to use disc brakes [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
The weight limit dramatically reduces the role of weight in those trade offs and swings the balance towards both stiffness and reliability. These you will actually notice on the bike. Especially should reliability let you down. Low weight is nice, but it's relevance is massively overplayed in the cycling world.
I stand by my comment that I'd expect any competent engineer to see the merit in this.

Competent engineers want to push the envelope. The weight limit has actually made structural engineering less important.

If you think weight isn't relevant then why do you believe manufacturers would pursue it to the detriment to every other factor? Why do you think stiffness and reliability will fly out the window? Any performance factor that is important to you will also be important to a pro riding and racing 20k miles/year.

It isn't a safety issue period. The pros don't need to be "saved" by the weight rule. Crashes and injuries due to equipment failures have always been a small fraction of the total, and that won't change.

If you as a consumer believe the pro bikes are too fragile because they are pushing the envelope too hard, then buy a couple tiers down. That's were the value is anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the pro peloton has one more reason NOT to use disc brakes [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
So perhaps it doesn't matter too much if the rule is removed because the teams won't chase the lowest possible weight? But then one of them will, and they'll go too far.

Why would they "go too far" if the bikes aren't even hitting the weight limit now?

There is one situation where weight is important, that is stages or races with long climbs, specifically mountain top finishes. Nowhere else.

BTW regarding "overly fragile 90s bikes" here is he who shall not be named winning the 1996 Tour DuPont on a heavy assed steel bike. And I'm not saying it was heavy just because it was steel, he specifically chose a heavy tubing because he preferred a stiff bike.

Last edited by: rruff: Apr 7, 17 10:24
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the pro peloton has one more reason NOT to use disc brakes [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride a "heavy" Emonda (SL vs SLR). Did I buy it because I though an extra 350 grams would make it safer? Of course not - it was cheaper.

Now if I can get a 700 gram frame because the top tier one is 500 grams, then it's a win for me as a consumer.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the pro peloton has one more reason NOT to use disc brakes [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
The weight limit dramatically reduces the role of weight in those trade offs and swings the balance towards both stiffness and reliability. These you will actually notice on the bike. Especially should reliability let you down. Low weight is nice, but it's relevance is massively overplayed in the cycling world.
I stand by my comment that I'd expect any competent engineer to see the merit in this.

Competent engineers want to push the envelope. The weight limit has actually made structural engineering less important.

If you think weight isn't relevant then why do you believe manufacturers would pursue it to the detriment to every other factor? Why do you think stiffness and reliability will fly out the window? Any performance factor that is important to you will also be important to a pro riding and racing 20k miles/year.

It isn't a safety issue period. The pros don't need to be "saved" by the weight rule. Crashes and injuries due to equipment failures have always been a small fraction of the total, and that won't change.

If you as a consumer believe the pro bikes are too fragile because they are pushing the envelope too hard, then buy a couple tiers down. That's were the value is anyway.
Your editing of my comment has misrepresented the thrust of my argument and your comments are (perhaps unintentionally) putting words in my mouth. Words you haven't, and won't, hear from me incidentally. Please re-read the full post you took this from and see if perhaps you've misinterpreted my argument. Good engineers will want to improve on what came before (call it pushing the envelope if you wish) no argument there. Risk is one of the factors that we have to manage. And as I said in my full post, it's common for pressure to be brought to bear on the technical SMEs to push certain commercially useful boundaries past where they should sensibly be pushed without due consideration. That's why standards exist in most fields. It's not to ruin the fun for everyone. It's because history and many of our personal experiences have demonstrated that they are necessary to maintain good practice. I'm not suggesting that sporting body regs like those of the UCI are comparable with ISO, FDA CFRs, etc, but I do have experience with being an engineer who's grateful from time to time to be able to point to a regulation in order to get management to back off when they push too hard for something they don't properly understand.
Besides, very low pro bike weights don't appear to be essential as a driver in minimising bike weight generally. Cyclists want light bikes. I've already said I think the importance of light bikes is overplayed but it is a major selling point and so will continue to get lots of attention. The UCI rule has not had much adverse effect on this IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
eb wrote:
Come on. I know you remember the 90s, when ridiculously light CNC'd aluminum phased into poorly engineered carbon. The race to reduce weight took precedence over good engineering - as it always will

I was racing a lot back then, and I don't know what you are talking about. There were some boutique "crazy light" parts available (and there still are), but these were not used by the pros.

You don't understand engineering very well if you think it is incompatible with low weight. Rather that's when engineering and new materials and techniques become more important.

I'm not talking about "boutique" parts. I'm talking about mainstream high-end stuff: disbonding Vitus frames, disintegrating welded Syncros stems, fragile CNC'd cranks from any number of makers, Ringle hub flanges breaking off, broken seatpost clamps from numerous brands, and on and on. Yeah, I wasn't hanging around with pros either, but one of my friends who was on the national team faceplanted pretty well when his Al stem broke on Belgian cobbles. I worked in a shop in the mid-90s and saw plenty of component failures with the general public as well as the racing crowd; I'm not sure how you missed all that.

And please don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say that engineering was "incompatible with low weight". That's a ridiculous assertion on your part. Re-read what I actually said: "The race to reduce weight took precedence over good engineering".
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the pro peloton has one more reason NOT to use disc brakes [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
exxxviii wrote:
That's a balk.

No, it's reality.

In every single sport I've ever been involved with there's been rules that seems arbitrary. And a cottage industry of "outrage" at the stupid rule-making body. But, generally, the rules are just something annoying installed to avoid something worse.

We could get rid of all those fairing, 3:1, and saddle-and-bar position rules.

But then some asshole is going to show up with a faired recumbent. And you have to be able to point at a rule that says he can't do that.
. Thanks for that! 8.25/10

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the pro peloton has one more reason NOT to use disc brakes [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carlosflanders wrote:
3:1 rule was a very reasonable compromise between optimizing aero properties and not turning into the IHPVA. The truly awful monstrosities that were starting to dominate TTing in the 90s were getting ridiculous. The UCI saved us from that.

SHAME ON YOU! This was an AWESOME machine!

Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the pro peloton has one more reason NOT to use disc brakes [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The horror!
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the pro peloton has one more reason NOT to use disc brakes [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Though it seems like the monstrosity effect is starting to hit triathlon (P5x, Andean, Dimond, et al) Maybe triathlon needs the UCI to step in and short things out. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like the pro peloton has one more reason NOT to use disc brakes [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Though it seems like the monstrosity effect is starting to hit triathlon (P5x, Andean, Dimond, et al) Maybe triathlon needs the UCI to step in and short things out. :)

UCI caused this 20 years ago and set bike design back by 20 years!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
carlosflanders wrote:
3:1 rule was a very reasonable compromise between optimizing aero properties and not turning into the IHPVA. The truly awful monstrosities that were starting to dominate TTing in the 90s were getting ridiculous. The UCI saved us from that.

SHAME ON YOU! This was an AWESOME machine!

The best part about it was the distance it got when you threw it in a fit of rage
Quote Reply

Prev Next