Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

where to do intervals in or near dt toronto?
Quote | Reply

i'm new to the area, looking for somewhere *safe* to do 4-8 min max efforts. on the right day, high park sort of works, but i'd rather a solid effort with no turns.

west is better, don't mind driving, don't mind boring industrial park loops (in fact prefer them).
Quote Reply
Re: where to do intervals in or near dt toronto? [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
High Park is good, but it's always going to be more variable with traffic/turns/lights (if you loop outside the park).

Morning Glory does loops of Edenbridge in Etobicoke—it's not bad. Still has turns and stop signs, but you can usually get a good flow (north on Royal York to Allanhurst, right on Edenbridge, back to Royal York).

You can probably get 4-8 minute efforts in by the airport (from Renforth along Convair Dr. to Courtneypark to Dixie). Just south of the airport is an industrial area that's commonly used. Southeast on Matheson, right on Explorer Dr, and back right on Matheson.

Just south of there I've seen some races go on around the TD Canada Trust building by Buckhorn Gate and Tahoe Blvd. I haven't done that, just saw lots of people posting Strava.

You can get a good idea of where these loops are on the Strava Heatmap. And if you drive out a bit from the city there are lots of loops and longer rides. I don't do those much anymore—it's easier for me to just ride from home.

Quote | Reply
i don't live in TO anymore. . . but is there anything down by cherry beach/leslie street spit? used to be pretty quiet down there. otherwise i definitely used to do big right-hand loops of high park. the waterfront down by the Ex would be OK, but depending on the times there might be lots of joggers or strollers, and it's not an ideal road for max efforts. . .

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Edenbridge is not great, it's downhill for maybe 1/3 of the loop. Highpark loop is probably better, but still has many turns. I've never ridden near the airport, but you can go out to Oakville for some nice quiet riding. Also, north of the city riding from Victoria square would work too (though admittedly it's not west end).

At Tahoe blvd is the Midweek criterium which runs every week on Tuesday. Never done it either, but it exists if you're into that kinda thing.

Re. the comment about the Spit. I would say probably not... there are a ton of speed bumps on it, and the path to Cherry beach is pretty winding/narrow.
I guess depending on your w/kg you could go to Brimley hill in Scarborough for max efforts. It would probably on the lower end of the 4-8min efforts though. Something like 6x4 is not that difficult to do there.

The trainer is probably the best bet if you want to do them during the week.
Quote Reply
Re: where to do intervals in or near dt toronto? [geodee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

great info thanks!

you've led me to this segment:

https://www.strava.com/...90508?filter=overall

which looks ideal!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do loops down at exhibition place 2 loops is roughly 8 minutes

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: where to do intervals in or near dt toronto? [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

what's a good time of day for this one?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It really depends on the time of year more than anything. Last year they had started some construction projects later in the summer (Late July / August) so Princess Dr was completely fenced off. I haven't been down there this year yet but I was doing loops Sat/Sun mornings around 8/9am. For the most part though it's fairly good most times of day outside the rush hour time frame when people are trying to cut across the southern part of the city.

Once I go down and check it out I can let you know if I get there before you.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to do loops on top of the reseviour on St. Clair east of Bathurst. Cannot remember how long it is but more than a quarter mile. Path in the valley the is just north of st. mikes and goes under Bathurst might still be good. Used to do some cross country races on that path

buzz wrote:

i'm new to the area, looking for somewhere *safe* to do 4-8 min max efforts. on the right day, high park sort of works, but i'd rather a solid effort with no turns.

west is better, don't mind driving, don't mind boring industrial park loops (in fact prefer them).

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's east of you, but the Commissioner's Road loop that someone else mentioned might work for you: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7049430 Commissioner's Rd. itself is about 2.5kms long; it's industrial, so there are trucks on it, but it's two lanes and dead straight, and the loop is all RH turns. There's also the Bayview Extension - not amazing in terms of traffic, but there is a shoulder for most of the way, and it's level (and free of lights) enough that you can put out a reasonable effort for the sort of duration that you're looking for.
Quote Reply