Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: FAI: hip impingement and labral tear [myhipsucks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Revival of an old thread, interesting.

I had surgery for impingement and labrum tear in December of 2015. Started biking more than for PT in mid-February 2016. Did not run a single step until April but by June ran a 5k about 2 min slower than prior PR. In August did 70.3 Steelhead within 7 mins of my 4:28 PR on the same course 2 years earlier. Did it on much lower training volume. No pain. Had to skip a spring marathon due to another unrelated medical issue (um, cancer surgery) but was in shape for a marathon PR by October 2017, a bit under two years post-surgery. I believe I could have run a marathon PR six months earlier had it not been for the other medical stuff.

My hip surgeon was awesome and my PT was awesome. The key was patience and not trying to get back to running very quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: FAI: hip impingement and labral tear [MattyA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyA wrote:
Revival of an old thread, interesting.

I had surgery for impingement and labrum tear in December of 2015. Started biking more than for PT in mid-February 2016. Did not run a single step until April but by June ran a 5k about 2 min slower than prior PR. In August did 70.3 Steelhead within 7 mins of my 4:28 PR on the same course 2 years earlier. Did it on much lower training volume. No pain. Had to skip a spring marathon due to another unrelated medical issue (um, cancer surgery) but was in shape for a marathon PR by October 2017, a bit under two years post-surgery. I believe I could have run a marathon PR six months earlier had it not been for the other medical stuff.

My hip surgeon was awesome and my PT was awesome. The key was patience and not trying to get back to running very quickly.

I don't mean to revive old things there's just honestly very little information about it and everyone has really strong opinions about it. I'm currently trying my best to do absolutely nothing until they say the surgery needs to be done because almost any strain I put on it even like sitting normally, I have to kinda lean on my left really seems to stress it out. I'm currently sitting on my left cheek and my right feels obscenely itchy but no level of scratching will make it better cause it's probably some nerve being sucked into my joint socket at a microscopic level making my right leg all itchy. Idk exactly what's going on really but it's fucking uncomfortable.

I want to get to the, after the surgery phase so I can do physio slowly and hope to one day get back to jogging in a couple years. I really wish doing yoga and whatever would help but I can honestly feel the area grinding even sometimes. It only clicks constantly and when I walk I can hear it make a mushy kinda grinding sound and then it starts to feel itchy after a few minutes of walking. my left side is 100% fine it feels like one hips 90 years old and the others a crazy 15 year old ready for anything lol.

I'm looking into saving up money now I guess for a private MRI or MRA if possible to expedite the thing because it's really uncomfortable and it gets worse daily. I'm unfortunately a single person all alone and I don't really have family anywhere to go to to recover and stuff and I have to do everything myself 100% of the time. I can't afford a live in nurse to help me get to PT and stuff and I live in an icey staircased basement suite so I really picked the best place possible to end up like this lol.

I do feel just getting it over with if it's confirmed by scans the best solution but the original orthopedic surgeon they gave me didn't even look at my file and kept telling me it was backpain and he was really excited to get to work lol. Not only was he excited but he apparently recently lost his privileges at the hospital but he was "confident" he would be getting them back soon. Whoever said before to not take the surgeons they give me, you are 100% on the money with that as that dude I swear was some sorta saw level lunatic lol he just heard back pain and said without a doubt it's my spine when 2 chiros an occupational therapist and 2 sports meds guys say it's FAI and some sort of ligament tear but, he might have said labral my ears kinda suck these days.

idk it's just uncomfortable and I would like to get back to trying to do stuff. Not really much to do around here with covid I guess but the mountains have never been more clear I was told so snowboarding would be a really great goal to get back to after I got mine repaired but who knows. Some people think I should just be doing physio or w.e and this sensation will go away with time when it's only gotten exponentially worse over the last year.

Currently feels like some one is digging their hands into my crotch tearing my gooch meat a new one while trying to dismember my leg and tickling my ankle from the inside out but I guess that's normal?
Quote Reply

Prev Next