Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thank you disc brake road/gravel bike, for enabling a ride....
Quote | Reply
... on a day many stayed inside to ride. (Near freezing, alternating between rain, freezing rain, and snow.)

And thank you 3T for making the Exploro, so I can ride in a position that has my body angles the same as when I'm on my TT bike. So I can ride all kinds of surfaces, in all kinds of weather, and not worry that I'm not getting a TT specific workload.

And if you are wondering why discs matter: The 1/2" of ice on the leading edges of the bike are an example. When descending in near freezing conditions, ice quickly builds up on the rim. Stopping is not possible without first clearing the ice, and that can take a long time; I've had it take 20-30 seconds. Today it was taking < 1 second.

So get out (actually outside) and ride! Have fun. Ride on dirt, mud, snow and ice; get better at bike handling. Get off-road to avoid the cars, and stop-and-go. Don't let your bike limit you...

But most importantly, have some fun. And this, this is fun!

(P.S. This is a bit of venting. Nobody from my normal group ride rode outside today. I think many have forgotten how much fun actual outdoor riding can be. So this is my reminder to you; get out and ride, it is fun :)

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Last edited by: Paul Dunn: Apr 1, 17 14:34
Quote Reply
Re: Thank you disc brake road/gravel bike, for enabling a ride.... [Paul Dunn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes to all of this. There's no such thing as bad weather, just poor clothing choices and rim brakes.

What fenders are you running? I need a set for my Cannondale Synapse

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Thank you disc brake road/gravel bike, for enabling a ride.... [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are the SKS RaceBlace Pro XL. They are rated to 32mm tires, but I've run them with up to 40mm. Granted the 40mm is really too big, in that unless they are really well aligned, the tire will rub a bit on the stays.

I've used these, or something similar from SKS for several years. I do really like them because they mount/dismount so easily. I only put them on for days where it looks like it will be wet. But once one, they hold quite well. I have used them quite a bit while riding dirt roads or reasonably well groomed dirt trails with no issue. I do wrap the frame with some tape to protect the finish. The fenders come with some clear protective tape, but it is only large enough to cover the back of the fork/stays; and I think you still need the protection on the front where the rubber attachment strap rubs the frame as well.

Overall, I really like them, and would recommend them for this application; temporary use, but even on dirt/rough surfaces.

http://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/raceblade-pro-xl/

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Quote Reply