Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: HED3 + Disc? does anyone ride this? [clutchy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in optimal conditions...there is currently "Nothing faster than H3 and Disc..(Both correctly set up with the proper tire and pressure)
But conditions sometimes change...and for that..( you use your 1080 or Flo 90 or 90's from others)
Quote Reply
Re: HED3 + Disc? does anyone ride this? [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
captain-tri wrote:
The H3+ and HED Disc+ are my race wheels, but I bought them last fall and with the weather haven't had a chance to ride them very much.

Take this with a grain of salt, but on BBS I compared a "tri-spoke" front and disc rear with a 60 front and 90 rear, and adjusted the bike weight based on the claimed weight between the HED wheels and Flo's 60/90 CC combo, and I'd be a bit more than a minute faster on the flo wheels, at least on the very hilly IMC bike course.

Not sure that you can really count on that minute with out actual aero testing, but it was interesting.

I'm going to stick with the H3+ and Disc because as others have said, I'll get just as big a boost by looking fast :-)

BBS won't account for watts to spin. If the limited data is correct, nothing will beat the H3-disc combo
Quote Reply
Re: HED3 + Disc? does anyone ride this? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rode this combo last year for Steelhead - H3+ up front mounted with Attack tire and latex tubes on my IA10. Could be a lot of other contributors but I will say my ride was ridiculously fast for the w/kg I rode at. If there's a more aero choice out there I would say it has to be very marginal.

And yes, it looks badass. So there's that.
Quote Reply
Re: HED3 + Disc? does anyone ride this? [dnomelgreg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi dnomelgreg,

I've recently upgraded to GT3 + Disc (haven't raced on this setup yet) so I'm not going to refute that claim. It justifies my spend!

But can you tell me where it comes from?

Many thanks!

Sam.

Samuel Arthur Medway
Perth, Western Australia
Quote Reply
Re: HED3 + Disc? does anyone ride this? [sscott43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What size tire attack on your H3+?

I saw back in the thread 22mm Attack mentioned as the fastest tire according to HED, but for some reason I thought I saw that 24mm attack was the fastest (good chance I'm imagining that, thought)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
captain-tri wrote:

I saw back in the thread 22mm Attack mentioned as the fastest tire according to HED, but for some reason I thought I saw that 24mm attack was the fastest (good chance I'm imagining that, thought)

22. There's a thread on this somewhere - they tend to expand when mounted on this rim so I think 24 would sacrifice some aero quality. I also like to tell myself it's one of those "magic" attacks with very low crr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No such thing as a 24c Attack AFAIK, it was always a 22c tire, until just recently when they updated it and started calling it a 23c. You may be thinking of the 24c Force, which is meant as a rear tire pairing for the front Attack. (The Force was also updated recently, marketed as a 25c tire now).
Quote Reply
Re: HED3 + Disc? does anyone ride this? [jsk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're probably right. I bought a couple of those Attack/Force sets from PBK just after I bought the wheels, but that was in the fall and I haven't looked at them recently.

Hopefully with some nice weather in the forecast I can get outside and do some testing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
captain-tri wrote:

HED claims it's the fastest tire from an aero perspective, not combined aero/crr (thus overall). I run a 23mm GP TT on mine because if the winds are high enough for me to experience >10 degrees of yaw I'm not going to run the H3+
Quote Reply
Re: HED3 + Disc? does anyone ride this? [clutchy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just contemplating this myself today after completing two time trials.

Here's the first one....h3 with (older) conti super sonic 20c and latex tube, 291 weighted ave power and 21:39

https://www.strava.com/activities/925326014

And here is the second one, zipp 808 with (older) conti attack 22c and latex tube, 287 weighted ave power and 21:24

https://www.strava.com/activities/925327933

Exactly the same otherwise (shiv, hed disc rear), same clothes, gloves, helmet, etc. May have been a bit windier on run #2 (zipp) but temp increased 5 degrees too.

I'm not done running them head-to-head but as of now it's 1-0 in favor of the zipp 808.

Would love to hear what the consensus is on the fastest tire on the 808. I'm assuming the new conti super sonic 20 is fastest on the H3....if you can find it.

Thanks guys :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next