Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I am about to buy my first tri bike used - is this a good buy?
Quote | Reply
Edit: Slowtwitch saved me some buyers regret and I am still shopping.

By the way, I have been to a fitter I found in the database and am shopping for bikes that were recommended for me. I am size medium for most bikes (Trek SC, Felt IA, Cervelo P series, DB Serios/Andean) I am likely going to go purchase something new in a shop unless I see a screaming good deal.
Last edited by: AverageDave: Mar 24, 17 12:12
Quote Reply
Re: I am about to buy my first tri bike used - is this a good buy? [AverageDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's about $1000 over priced if everything is like new
Quote Reply
Re: I am about to buy my first tri bike used - is this a good buy? [AverageDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If this is your first tri bike, I would really caution you about a couple of things

#1 - take your time - this is really a buyers market. That price is way to high for a used 8 year old bike. You would be so shocked what top of the line, best in class, 1 year old equipment is going for let alone carbon from 8 years ago.

#2 - double check the fit - maybe you can fit on a P3 from dimensions, but there are likely better options. As a first time tri bike user the fit and feel is going to be different and a P3 might set you off on the wrong foot.

I would really walk into a store and buy something new and try some things out at the very least. You can add a power meter for pretty cheap and get the exact one you want. Power meters can be flaky anyway and good to have a warranty not sure what Quarq policy is on resale though.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: I am about to buy my first tri bike used - is this a good buy? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you both for saving me a lot of regret. I am going to keep looking for something cheaper.
Quote Reply
Re: I am about to buy my first tri bike used - is this a good buy? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
good to have a warranty not sure what Quarq policy is on resale though.

Quarq honour the warranty after resale, as I found out to my benefit when the dodgy old (but still in warranty) Quarq S975 I bought for not much money had the spider replaced for a shiny new Riken.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AverageDave wrote:
thank you both for saving me a lot of regret. I am going to keep looking for something cheaper.
First look for something that fits.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: I am about to buy my first tri bike used - is this a good buy? [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I have read a lot of your posts that discuss fit.

I went to an independent fitter in Ontario that i found on the fitter database and got a bike list of possible bikes and the sizes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AverageDave wrote:
Thanks! I have read a lot of your posts that discuss fit.

I went to an independent fitter in Ontario that i found on the fitter database and got a bike list of possible bikes and the sizes.
Then you're way ahead of most people looking to pull the trigger on their first tri bike. Good stuff.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found a good deal on a 2014 Cervelo P2 not too long ago on eBay. If you're willing to go about five years old for a P2/P3, you can get close to $1,000. Use bicyclebluebook.com for pricing help. There are deals out there.
Quote Reply