Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hobbies/collectibles/enthusiasms you just don't get [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
firewall is blocking photos, I'll have a look tonight during my "me" time.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I made a journal of my trip starting in Bangkok but the Canadian portion starting in Inuvik is in June 2014. There are some pictures there.

My last post was when my trip ended but on the sidebar, click "June" that is the start of the portion of my trip in Inuvik.

http://bikefororphans.blogspot.ca/2014_06_01_archive.html

Thanks for posting the link. I only had a few minutes to skim your blog but can't wait to read all the details. All I can say is WOW!
Quote Reply
Re: Hobbies/collectibles/enthusiasms you just don't get [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
The hard on some posters here have over guns is a bit of a head scratcher for me.

I have no idea who you're referring to but a hard on for guns is easy to understand. They make some people feel powerful.

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Re: Hobbies/collectibles/enthusiasms you just don't get [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The furry thing...I have never heard of it before till my friend mentioned it. There is a convention across the street from his office every year. Provides for some good workday entertainment looking out the windows.
Quote Reply
Re: Hobbies/collectibles/enthusiasms you just don't get [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Dude, I doubt he wants you masturbating to his pictures.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Hobbies/collectibles/enthusiasms you just don't get [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Why not?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Hobbies/collectibles/enthusiasms you just don't get [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had to Google "cosplay." The things I learn here.
Quote Reply
Re: Hobbies/collectibles/enthusiasms you just don't get [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
j p o wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Why not?

Re-read the subject line.
Quote Reply
Re: Hobbies/collectibles/enthusiasms you just don't get [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rambler wrote:

So did I. That's some crazy shit. Clicked on 'Images'. Sheesh.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: Hobbies/collectibles/enthusiasms you just don't get [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice bike and nice plane. Like your Dad, I'd have to admit a long lasting infatuation with aviation. My Dad was a career pilot in the Air Force, retired and started an FBO, became a pilot examiner, and taught me to fly at an early age including issuing my pilot license to me. Last summer, he taught my son to fly in the very same airplane I learned in. I got chills when he sent me a text message with a video of my son landing at the end of his first solo. Dad is 86 now and is still instructing. Over the years, we flew various restored warbirds to airshows, I became obsessed with flying gliders and soon found myself on the national competition circuit travelling all over the country for contests. Dad crewed for me most of the time and enjoyed this niche of aviation that I found. It wasn't long before he went to the same gliderport as I went to for instruction and got his glider rating from the same instructor. Later, I bought a Cirrus SR22 and Dad taught me how to fly on instruments within a year after taking delivery. Now, my son is trying to decide which aviation college he will attend and how he will find his way to the cockpit of an airliner.

At various times, I have been completely taken by other hobbies as well. I raced sailboats extensively for 10 years including the Great Lakes, Puget Sound, Bay area, and the southeastern coast. For about 8-10 years, I got into racing cars from SCCA autocross events to Porsche and Ferrari club racing. Now, I'd say cycling is a passion. I get in about 3,500 to 4,000 miles per year and spend a lot of time mentoring new riders since I am 60YO and can't really compete with the A-riders anymore. Even with all of these extracurricular activities, aviation has always been a part of my life. Now, I really want to buy myself some sort of taildragger to putz around in on Saturday mornings going to pancake breakfast fly-ins.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: Hobbies/collectibles/enthusiasms you just don't get [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't get people who hang out in the LavRoom. Oh, wait...

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Hobbies/collectibles/enthusiasms you just don't get [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not so much I have tons of skills, I just have decades of experience. Put the time in I have I have no doubt your would be every bit as accomplished as I am.
Love the muzzle loader project. Do you get to carbs the stock or is that pre done? Of so, have you considered decorative carbon-based or wood burning. There is a cool technique using rope and burning the rope to make a faux tiger pattern.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: Hobbies/collectibles/enthusiasms you just don't get [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregtryin wrote:
Rambler wrote:

So did I. That's some crazy shit. Clicked on 'Images'. Sheesh.

Greg

Someday I may google cosplay and larping.

The one thing I don't get is Medieval Fighting.

(Well actually it makes much more sense to me than watching people play poker on TV, but I had to take a jab at one of our favorite fellows who is so far absent here.)

My weird hobby is collecting/fixing/trading/selling vintage stereo equipment. I listen too, but the equipment is a hobby in itself.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This reminds me of my college girlfriend.

We went to her grandmother's house for Christmas. It was full of ladybug stuff. Figurines, decorations, mats, rugs, plates...everything. We did a gift opening. She got nothing but ladybug stuff and acted like she was so excited about each thing.

Later in the day I found myself alone with her and she turned to me and said, "I mentioned that I like ladybugs once 30 years ago and every fucking gift I have gotten since is another fucking ladybug."

Andy
Quote Reply
Re: Hobbies/collectibles/enthusiasms you just don't get [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
bloody ugly/creepy ceramic figurines, especially the 'cutesy/folksy' ones of little kids. people pay big money for this stuff and plunk it on a shelf to watch them while they eat, and i just don't get it:

-mike

When I first started working at Campbell Soup, drawing The Campbell Kids was part of my job

I soon came to find out that little old ladies put out tons of money for ANYTHING with those two little brats on it: calendars, plates, bowls, spoons, figurines, Xmas ornaments [of which I still happen to have from the years I was there (1985-1996)]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Hobbies/collectibles/enthusiasms you just don't get [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bloody ugly/creepy ceramic figurines, especially the 'cutesy/folksy' ones of little kids. people pay big money for this stuff and plunk it on a shelf to watch them while they eat...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I don't understand people's fascination with their phones and how the world stops if their phone rings. In SE Asia, people literally walk around with their phones in their hand, 24 hours per day. If you go out to dinner with a group, the phones are out on the table in front of them and they are constantly looking down just in case someone, who they would rather be with, sends them a message. I would see a group of 8 people out to dinner, to be social, and then each of them is on their phones typing to someone else.

For the last year, I have a phone at work and a land line at home and have never once been outside and wished I had a phone in my hand to make sure I didn't miss a message.
I completely agree. A few weeks back while on a flight to Portland I noticed the guy sitting across from me holding his phone as if he were about to lose his life. No games or music were being played, he just had to hold it.

Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
bloody ugly/creepy ceramic figurines, especially the 'cutesy/folksy' ones of little kids. people pay big money for this stuff and plunk it on a shelf to watch them while they eat...

Looks like Meryl Streep, as Julia Child

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Hobbies/collectibles/enthusiasms you just don't get [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last I heard, Pyrex sold in Europe is still borosilicate glass. Corning explained that the European market is more quality oriented while the US market is more price sensitive. We get the crap, everyone else gets the good stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's really cool. You sound like a great Dad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen a few of these "lip-synching battles" lately and I don't get the appeal at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tattoos.
Quote Reply

Prev Next