Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need to replace entire aerobar+stem on Cervelo due to rusted bolts. DIY or have shop do it?
Quote | Reply
The bolts on my Vision aerobars and stem have rusted to the point that they cannot be removed - the rust has eroded the hex shape of the screws so they cannot be removed, and I even tried drilling them out using a screw extractor+drill, which didn't work (I suspect the rust has fused the bolts to the aerobar.) Same deal with the cap screw. This all happened in the past 5 months where I've been exclusively marathon training and thus didn't ride my bike at all - I guess the condensation in my garage was enough to rust the bolts (they weren't stainless steel - next time, for sure I'll go that route); the bolts were already in pretty bad shape since they're the originals since 2009 (!) Fortunately, I the side-bolts on the stem are still loosenable, so I can likely remove it.

I'll probably have to replace the entire aerobar + stem. I'm def not a DIY kind of bike person, but I did watch a youtube video on how to change it all from scratch, and while it's not trivial, it doesn't seem technically that hard. That said, time is precious to me, and I'm willing to pay for it to be done if it's not too crazy expensive. At the same time, I do like the idea of knowing how to install/remove this thing for future reference, so it wouldn't completely be time wasted if I invest in learning this.

Has anyone done this and can comment on whether it's a lot harder than it looks, if it's actually overall not a challenging task and shouldn't be hard once you study the process (videos)?

Another complicating factor is that my Cervelo P2c has internal cable routing; I've never dealt with it myself, but that could complicate things further.
Quote Reply
Re: Need to replace entire aerobar+stem on Cervelo due to rusted bolts. DIY or have shop do it? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Install stem, install base bar, install brake levers, route new cables/housing, wrap base bar. *edit* If you're not replacing your base bar, then you don't need to install new levers/cables/housing/wrap. But it sounds like you might want to do that anyway since it's probably been a while since this has been touched.

Install extensions, install shifters, route new cables/housing, wrap extensions.

Adjust front/rear brakes. Adjust front/rear derailleurs. Adjust headset.

Not difficult if you know what you're doing. Easy to screw up though. I would say take it to a shop if you're not comfortable with doing everything listed above.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Last edited by: bryce_d: Mar 22, 17 9:36
Quote Reply
Re: Need to replace entire aerobar+stem on Cervelo due to rusted bolts. DIY or have shop do it? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends...

If you have plenty of time and the tools to do the job, then it's as good a time as any to start wrenching your own bike.

If not... that's not really a beginner job. It'll take some time and you'll probably f*ck it up before you get it right. Some people that bothers, some it doesn't.

Plenty of video's / tutorials out there, and you can always bring yourself to the mercy of ST if you run into a snag... but it's definitely an afternoon/case of beer and some cussing type of job for your first time.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Need to replace entire aerobar+stem on Cervelo due to rusted bolts. DIY or have shop do it? [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like I'll be in over my head.

Bike shop it is!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like I'll be in over my head.

Bike shop it is!

Ahhh, try yourself first if you have any interest in learning. If you eff it up, then take it in. If you use a torque wrench you really can't harm anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not really. The only tricky part is recabling the brakes - it takes some patience. Also if you have durace shifters, remove them carefully - they will be hard to put back together if dropped.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply