Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Taper / training fatigue 2.5 weeks from race - advice
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I am looking for some advice 2.5 weeks prior to IMSA.

I have followed a high volume mixed intensity plan with great success with a few breakthrough sessions past weeks incl. a successful long bike and run last weekend.

Now 5 days into this week and 2.5 weeks prior to my race I have still not recovered from the big weekend workout and I feel a general fatigue and sudden non-motivation (??) to train. If it was the last week before the race I would not be concerned because that is pretty normal but not it is a balance between losing and maintaining fitness.

What would be the best way to find the legs and sharpen the pencil these last 2.5 weeks?

Should I still go ahead and do the long brick (6h) on Sunday, should I do nothing, should l go short and intense, long and intense?. Any other out of the box suggestions?

F
Quote Reply
Re: Taper / training fatigue 2.5 weeks from race - advice [Financier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck on your race, well done putting in the work. Nothing revolutionary here, but i would ensure you are eating well and getting quality sleep. Some times a massage my help on the legs. If during your upcoming workouts your perceived effort is high but your HR is remaining low i would shorten the workout in half and lower the intensity. You could also check what your HR to watts on the bike is if you ride with power. If you are in a hole this will be out of line.

You will not loose fitness 2 1/2 weeks before your race as long as you stay marginally active relative to the quality work you have been completing. The risk of beating yourself up and not getting to the line fresh is much greater than the marginal benefits you will receive from doing these last hard workouts.

Best,
GS
Quote Reply
Re: Taper / training fatigue 2.5 weeks from race - advice [Financier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Financier wrote:
Hi all,

I am looking for some advice 2.5 weeks prior to IMSA.

I have followed a high volume mixed intensity plan with great success with a few breakthrough sessions past weeks incl. a successful long bike and run last weekend.

Now 5 days into this week and 2.5 weeks prior to my race I have still not recovered from the big weekend workout and I feel a general fatigue and sudden non-motivation (??) to train. If it was the last week before the race I would not be concerned because that is pretty normal but not it is a balance between losing and maintaining fitness.

What would be the best way to find the legs and sharpen the pencil these last 2.5 weeks?

Should I still go ahead and do the long brick (6h) on Sunday, should I do nothing, should l go short and intense, long and intense?. Any other out of the box suggestions?

F
Training for the same race and feeling pretty much the exact same. This could have been my post in fact except my fatigue set in a little earlier.

I got up on Friday, 10 March, with the intention of a long trainer ride, felt terrible from the getgo and only managed 2 hours before calling it quits and feeling like the flu was coming on.

I took Sat and Sun completely off, and have started tapering now. Plan for this weekend is to not go mental, 4 hour ride sat and 25km run on Sunday as normal.

Will taper hard for the next 2.5 weeks.

Was feeling great 4 weeks out and absolutely terrible with 3 weeks to go...loss of confidence etc after bad workout. I figure that the fitness is still there...important thing is not to bury it now but rather take it too easy (rather than too hard) and show up on race day feeling good.

Good luck for last 2.5 weeks....See you on race day!
Quote Reply