Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post-swim lotion?
Quote | Reply
My son (11) is reluctant to go to the pool beyond his weekly "swim club" group session because he gets itchy afterwards - especially his legs.

He's fairly sensitive in general, so it is extra hard for him. HTFU is not the right approach!

I've read some of the recent threads about showering immediately, sauna, soaping up, etc. Any specific recommendations for a post-shower lotion?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Post-swim lotion? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good call with the no-htfu thing. You do that, and you might have a kid that hates swimming. Get them to like it, and you are winning.

Try Aloe or a non-oil based lotion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shower immediately afterwards with warm water (not hot), use soap only to groin/armpits, get out and pat dry. While the skin is still damp apply a good moisturizer such as Vanicream, Cerave, or something else that comes in a jar - avoid the ones with a pump (which is most of them, I know). Aquaphor is the best moisturizer but it's a greasy mess, although it might be tolerable just for the lower legs.

I haven't used TRISWIM products, but they seem to be popular among swimmers as an anti-chlorine wash/shampoo/lotion. That said, I probably wouldn't go straight to those products - I think the benefit in using them is coming from the fact that they force you to shower after swimming, moisturize, etc.

Aloe often has alcohol in it - extremely drying and not good for irritated skin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also have very sensitive skin. I use UltraSwim shampoo--both to shampoo my hair, and as soap to wash off the rest of me. Another tip is to pat dry with the towel, not rub. Apply moisturizer while the skin is damp from the shower.

FWIW, I've also heard that fully wetting down in the shower prior to getting into the pool sort of "preloads" the skin and hair so that it absorbs less of the pool chemicals. Don't know if there's any truth to it, but at least the practice keeps down the cloramine levels.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nivea.
Quote Reply
Re: Post-swim lotion? [MI_Mumps] - Swim Spray or DIY Chlorine Removal Spray [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buy some Swim Spray and give it a try.

I did and it worked for me and for my year round swimming son. I then bought several spray bottles and filled them with the DIY version of Swim Spray. We keep a bottle in each home shower, his school pool locker and my swim bag. The DIY recipe is easy to find online...its just powdered Vitamin C and water.

Good luck.

David K
Last edited by: DavidK: Mar 16, 17 9:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just rub a little baby oil on my arms in the shower, after swimming. Pat dry.

'Course......giving an 11 y.o. boy a bottle of baby oil in the shower sounds like a recipe for 30 minute showers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thinking out loud - could you use something before swimming, almost treating it like a barrier cream ?

Maybe a thin coat of nappy cream (sudocream / bepanthem etc) just on the problem areas ?

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
My son (11) is reluctant to go to the pool beyond his weekly "swim club" group session because he gets itchy afterwards - especially his legs.

He's fairly sensitive in general, so it is extra hard for him. HTFU is not the right approach!

I've read some of the recent threads about showering immediately, sauna, soaping up, etc. Any specific recommendations for a post-shower lotion?

I don't have kids, but cheers for having a good attitude regarding this.

As others have said...perhaps... address the cause as opposed (in addition) to symptoms.

For example with Duck itch we use either dish soap or thick (like 40-60spf) sun screen before on contact areas. Of course dish soap may not work in the pool but sun screen might. When we swim in the outdoor pool in HI, always use sun screen and have no issues. For me the dryness is always on the face so occasionally use 50 spf pre workout and it works great.

2c
YMMV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use TriSwim shampoo and lotion. It's expensive, but I have sensitive skin and that stuff works wonders.
Quote Reply
Re: Post-swim lotion? [SimplyAmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Full disclosure: I race for EMJ.

Seriously though, the anti-chlorine body wash and shampoo works great. I also use the spf 30 as lotion after shaving and swimming. It's chemical free and leaves your skin feeling fresh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:

I've had the same problem since I was your son's age, so going on 50 years. The only thing that I have found that helps is Gold Bond Medicated lotion, and it more or less solves the problem. I shower out of the pool, then drive home and put the lotion on. For the most part the itchy feeling goes away in a few minutes. I like the stuff that "tingles" when you put it on because it seems to work faster, but it isn't for everyone, because the "tingle" can be worse than the itch for a few seconds to a minute. Gold Bond makes the lotion in both flavors - Tingly and no tingle.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Post-swim lotion? [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting this thread and I am getting some good ideas. My daughter is 6 and she swims now and likes it but only once a week. She might be doing swim team soon so these are good pointers what to use.
Quote Reply
Re: Post-swim lotion? [SimplyAmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SimplyAmy wrote:
I use TriSwim shampoo and lotion. It's expensive, but I have sensitive skin and that stuff works wonders.

I've used TriSwim too and really like it. Had an orange smell too it and takes the chlorine smell out. It is a little expensive but if used for just the pool it should last quite a while. Also don't be afraid to try just plain over the counter body lotion either. That could do the trick. Lots of men's products out there if he doesn't want to smell like a girl.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also take a look at swim outlet. Enough choices to drive you bonkers.

https://www.swimoutlet.com/...%20Wash%20%26%20Soap

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i switched to zealios shampoo for post swim showers, and then I use their lotion. so far, so good, likely going to re-order more here shortly.

--------------------------------------------
TEAM F3 Undurance
Quote Reply