Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone out there ever tried cycling on Eleuthera, Bahamas?
Quote | Reply
Next month I'm going to a wedding there for a full week. Never been there before. Would road cycling be a good way to see the island? From what I've read there isn't a shoulder on the Queen's highway, so someone recommended thicker tires if you need to get on the side of the road to avoid cars. It seems like it would be a good way to get to beaches on the north and south extremes of the island. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone out there ever tried cycling on Eleuthera, Bahamas? [natewalsh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have driven the entire queens highway from lighthouse beach on the south end to north ekeuthera airport and harbour island on the north end. We stayed in Governor's Harbour about mid-island. Riding in and around Governors on a fatter tire bike would be ok. But I wouldnt recommend a road bike on the long sections between towns. The Bahamian government is notorious for poor road upkeep in the out islands. Traffic is pretty light on Eleuthera and the highway is over 100 mikes long. But beach side-roads are sandy or gravel and not suitable for road bikes. The north end has some great vantage points from the Queens Hwy. But much of the southern hwy is landlocked with no water views.

That being said Eleuthera is a fantastic island with great people. Amazing beaches. Enjoy!
Quote Reply