Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shoe nerds-recommendations hiking/trail running shoes if I like brooks adrenaline&ravenna?
Quote | Reply
I'm asking here because it's full of shoe nerds.

I can't just go try&buy shoes off the shelf because I wear size 15 2E. I can wear normal width, but my pinky toes wear a hole in the fabric, so they don't last super long. So normal width with wide toeboxes is probably fine.

Also, I live in a rainforest so some level of water management is good, as is the ability to handle mud well. Moisture is the main issue I'm looking into getting dedicated trail/hiking footwear-too many slips from it. I also want a sole that's durable. I'm going to be living in a national park for the next 8 months.

So. Slowtwitch. Any suggestions? Other than logging boots, those are too bulky.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe nerds-recommendations hiking/trail running shoes if I like brooks adrenaline&ravenna? [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a fan of my brooks cascadia, but can't comment on that size!
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe nerds-recommendations hiking/trail running shoes if I like brooks adrenaline&ravenna? [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As you know you have two issues. The size 15 can be hard and limits trail shoes down. Then the width is doubly hard because most trail shoes are covered with overlays bringing the shoe in tighter. There is no chance the Brooks Cascadia will fit your foot. You'll blow through the sidewall quickly. Great shoe but not great for your foot.

New Balance makes two shoes in your size and width. The Leadville and the 910v3. I kind of like the tread on the 910v3 better.

You might also look at the Altra Lone Peak 3.o and the Superior 3.0. Both come in your size and the toe box might work for your pinky toe.

I'm sure you do this but buy from a place that has a liberal policy

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new Altra King MT might also fit the bill.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe nerds-recommendations hiking/trail running shoes if I like brooks adrenaline&ravenna? [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDJ wrote:
As you know you have two issues. The size 15 can be hard and limits trail shoes down. Then the width is doubly hard because most trail shoes are covered with overlays bringing the shoe in tighter. There is no chance the Brooks Cascadia will fit your foot. You'll blow through the sidewall quickly. Great shoe but not great for your foot.

New Balance makes two shoes in your size and width. The Leadville and the 910v3. I kind of like the tread on the 910v3 better.

the cascadias were going to be my first rec. so... moving on...
i've got a pair of leadvilles now that i'm pretty comfortable with. good tread when on dirt/mud. the cascadias were better on harder surfaces and if there was a significant amount of road/pavement in the run (and just as good on the trails). leadvilles could use a bit more cushion, imo - i suspect that when i'm done with this pair i'll go back to the cascadias.

can't say anything about the rainforest conditions though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I can't just go try&buy shoes off the shelf because I wear size 15 2E.

Damn, we've got Big Foot posting now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would check out Inov-8.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm very happy with my asolo reston. They are little beefier than a strict trail runner but not really heavy enough to be considered a true boot. Used heavily for a year and show pretty much no wear. My biggest issue is that lack a real stiff sole plate you you feel pointy rocks a little
Quote Reply