Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Plasti Dip Project #2 is Complete - My Scott Plasma 3 Project
Quote | Reply
As one who always loves a change of pace, I stripped all of the plasti dip off of my last ride and sold it away for funds for a new ride this season. And also as someone who always loves a change of pace, I purchased a Scott Plasma 3 and changed up its grey paint job with a little something more stealthy. Yeah, I tried to go battleship gray and then green with it first, but in the end I wasn't feeling either color so I went back to matte black. I love it!

As another splurge, I used some of this year's bonus money to buy a nice SRAM Etap aero kit on the ride. Of course, I couldn't let those silver parts show, so it them up with some plasti dip as well. I am now probably the first person in the world to have black edition SRAM Red Etap. I also replaced one pair of regular blips with the Etap clics which make a nice clean setup by sitting right in the tips of the aerobars.

I also ordered up a nice Dash saddle since the Fizik Tritone was just not feeling comfortable to me. I threw some tri rig parts on there to boot, including the Tririg Omega X aero brake on the front and the Tririg Beta under the saddle bottle holder for a nice aero setup.

I got some nice 3T Brezza aero bars, but the extensions weren't quite what I wanted, so I bought some Profile Design T5 carbon extensions and painted them with black matte plasti dip so they would match the rest of the bike.

Add in some Zipp 808's with some custom fluro green decals to match the other fluro green highlights on the bike.

Then there's the Bontrager Speed Concept II bento box and the custom aero cover that I made to hide the blip box and wires on the stem. Also, I picked up a used VR Torhans aero waterbottle. I cut it to make it into a flat kit and then painted it with matte black plasti dip to match everything else.

All in all I think it came out pretty nicely. It should ride super fast. I can't wait to jump on!

Last edited by: justtrime: Mar 10, 17 18:53
Quote Reply
Re: Plasti Dip Project #2 is Complete - My Scott Plasma 3 Project [justtrime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you spray with? I assume not just the can, that tip can be pretty bad after a while.
Quote Reply
Re: Plasti Dip Project #2 is Complete - My Scott Plasma 3 Project [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got one of those clip on sprayer nozzles. They are like $2.99 at Lowes.
Last edited by: justtrime: Mar 10, 17 19:52
Quote Reply
Re: Plasti Dip Project #2 is Complete - My Scott Plasma 3 Project [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used a Harbor Freight HVLP gun with a 1.5mm tip, thinned 5% with xylene. Works extremely well for plastidip, and is incredibly smooth.

Re: Plasti Dip Project #2 is Complete - My Scott Plasma 3 Project [justtrime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks awesome.

What did you do to the frame prior to painting? Just a good cleaning? Any sanding? Stripping? Can you apply a decal to the plasti-dipped areas? Can you see or feel the decals/paint underneath?
Quote Reply
Re: Plasti Dip Project #2 is Complete - My Scott Plasma 3 Project [carboner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carboner wrote:
Looks awesome.

What did you do to the frame prior to painting? Just a good cleaning? Any sanding? Stripping? Can you apply a decal to the plasti-dipped areas? Can you see or feel the decals/paint underneath?

You just have to clean the surface really well. The original paint does not get touched because the finish of Plasti Dip is pretty much like plastic material. If you don't like how it looks or want to change color again just peel it off.
Quote Reply
Re: Plasti Dip Project #2 is Complete - My Scott Plasma 3 Project [carboner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Likes he said, the stuff is magic. It just bonds to itself not the paint. Don't like the color...peel it off and start over. Very little prep. I just clean the bike then spray. Decals can be added. If you take them off it will probable peel the plasti dip off so you have to think about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have to remove the decals on your bike or can you just spray over them? If you leave them on and spray over them, will they peel off when you remove the plastidip?
Quote Reply
Re: Plasti Dip Project #2 is Complete - My Scott Plasma 3 Project [Rebcos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doubt it bc the dip doesn't adhere to what's underneath it. Although the you may see imprint of the decal underneath if the decal is raised not under the clearcoat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you do it in 1 coat or do you need multiple coats?

Does the dip crack or rub off at the quick release areas or do you not paint those spots?
Quote Reply
Re: Plasti Dip Project #2 is Complete - My Scott Plasma 3 Project [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Multiple coats is best with PD. I have done my winter rims on my car, body molding on the car and emblems as well as bike parts and multiple light layers always works best. I am thinking about using some of the clear PD to do my chainstay now as well to protect against the odd chain slap.
Quote Reply
Re: Plasti Dip Project #2 is Complete - My Scott Plasma 3 Project [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you only do one coat it is very difficult to remove. Do 4-6 coats and it peels off very easily. Hardly any weight to it at all so no reason not to do multiple coats
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is there any wind tunnel data on second skinning your frame and foot long valves?

but seriously - looks great - nice to have the option to remove it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That looks awesome, did you tried it on the wheels? I like matt black bikes, but not the way my zipp's looks in a matt black bike with them having that semi glossy look. But now switching to disc brakes there would be no effect on the braking when i would do this to make them matt as well like the frame. So having seen your job i seriously consider this.

Thanks for your input.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many coats did you use on the Plasma? Also, how well/long does the PD hold up against scratches? Did you add any top coat?

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks great!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very Nice - how did you prep the frame before spraying... ie did you start with a bare frame or was the bike built up already, and you just masked off the brakes etc.?

Interested in doing this to my 2012 Shiv Pro, with the hideous stock paint job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you have never seen an issue with the plasti dip and the under layer of topcoat/paint? Just wanted to verify, since it has solvents in it, I can see how it could affect some paint.
Quote Reply
Re: Plasti Dip Project #2 is Complete - My Scott Plasma 3 Project [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No problem whatsoever. Comes off easy peasy and no evidence that it was ever on the paint. It's great stuff!
Quote Reply
Re: Plasti Dip Project #2 is Complete - My Scott Plasma 3 Project [brianwchan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I strip the entire frame, cover parts like the bottom bracket shell and headtube and seattube just like I am painting the bike, then spray away. Give the bike a nice clean before you put the PD on. Then hit it with around 6 healthy coats. Voila!
Quote Reply