Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What is your caffeine routine? [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeez over 60oz I love my coffee but that seems a little overboard IMO. But different strokes for different folks
Quote Reply
Re: What is your caffeine routine? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Sanny87 wrote:
Coffee#1, workout, Coffee#2. First one helps a lot with RPE because i workout early in the am and sometimes it's a bit rough without it.

Is "RPE" an acronym for "Requisite Poop Evacuation?"

or is "workout" a euphemism for it?
Quote Reply
Re: What is your caffeine routine? [Shiv88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Traphaus wrote:
I drink one coffee with butter and coconut oil every day. Don't change it up before or on race day.

Shiv88 wrote:
As for me, I am on the bullet proof coffee bandwagon. I was skeptical at first, but I like it now.

Explain to me, again, what the point of that is?

Keeping in mind, I'm fairly convinced it's bro-science bullshit. I mean, if you want coffee and butter for breakfast, why not just have some toast on the side?

YMMV

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Traphaus wrote:
I drink one coffee with butter and coconut oil every day. Don't change it up before or on race day.

Shiv88 wrote:
As for me, I am on the bullet proof coffee bandwagon. I was skeptical at first, but I like it now.

Explain to me, again, what the point of that is?

Keeping in mind, I'm fairly convinced it's bro-science bullshit. I mean, if you want coffee and butter for breakfast, why not just have some toast on the side?

YMMV

I like the way it tastes, bro
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Bullet proof" coffee is just a coffee with butter and MCT oil (i.e. Coconut oil) blended in a vitamix (or similar) blender. It's a part of ketogenic diet. I drink this coffee (tastes like latte) and work out fasted. It's a method to achieve nutritional ketosis and accelerate fat loss.

Google it & you shall find out more.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your caffeine routine? [ITRIhard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'm a little extreme, but I always have 1-2 shots from my nespresso pre-workout (45 minutes before). I travel a lot for work, so in hotels I'll drink two cups of coffee from the shitty little coffee maker before.

Gets my poop out before I get my workout going. Usually have 2-3 cups at work after.

I maintain this up to races and don't back off. It's my way of life.
Last edited by: TriowaCPA: Mar 13, 17 7:27
Quote Reply
Re: What is your caffeine routine? [Traphaus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Traphaus wrote:
I like the way it tastes, bro

OK then

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
TriTamp wrote:
C_Hassard wrote:
philly1x wrote:
RandMart wrote:
TriTamp wrote:
race day. 1 cup.

Race day, it has to be Wawa coffee ... from a very specific Wawa

I am sure this is lost on non-Philly-region peeps.

IME: all Wawa coffee tastes the same, like all DD coffee. so you know what you're getting when you walk into any franchise—it's what makes it so easy to get coffee at either one.

Whether it's the coffee or the food, you always know what you're going to get at Wawa. I mainly race in Philly area / South Jersey region so a pre-race snack at Wawa is a regularity. When I went out to Milwaukee in 2014 for Nationals and Chicago in 2015 for Worlds I felt like a lost puppy without it.

I miss Wawa from when I lived in VA and FL. No Wawa yet in SC. Always like their sandwiches too.

I dunno; I've been to both and there's something just a little different about those "Southern" Wawa's vs. the "Originals" in PA/NJ/DE

http://www.philly.com/...wa-by-the-Ocean.html

“‘Wawa by the Ocean’ is dedicated to my favorite beach, Ship Bottom, New Jersey, and my favorite Wawa convenience store, Wawa #700. The store is so close to the entrance to the beach, so you can change into your swimsuit, grab a veggie hoagie, a giant water [and] a container of pineapple with a fork, and you have your own little mini-vacation all day before driving back home. Twelve summers of solo trips to Ship Bottom and it hasn’t really changed. I’ll always visit it in my dreams.â€

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All this "Coffee Talk" is very nice, but we need to look each other right in the eyes, we can no longer put off this matter, we need to speak about ...

Cherry Coke Zero

Quote Reply
Re: What is your caffeine routine? [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn lucky wrote:
solitude wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Never ever drink the stuff

+1. If you need caffeine to get going in the morning - or ever - you are better off sleeping instead. Have gotten through med school, residency, working >24 straight hours, etc without it

I'm in the abstain group also. I have a decaf instant each morning, I like the taste, something warm and the liquid plumber side effects. I like coffee, I just get headaches if I skip it. I'll grab a coke on a long ride or use a caffeinated gel once in awhile.

+1 in the abstain group. I've seen enough people get addicted to it and "need" it to function, either waking up in the morning or to stay up and get work/studying done. I just tell my body deal with it and get my crap done without the caffeine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just race day and the occasional big/key training day for me. Mostly in pill form, occasionally blok/gel. For me it's not about limiting, I just don't like most things with caffeine (pop, coffee, tea).

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your caffeine routine? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have tried pill form, it turns into the jittery feeling and I can't sit still. Kind of like the movie crank I feel I could run through walls. But when I just drink a coffee I feel alert and focused and ready to work/perform. Anyone else tried pill form?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also used to cut out caffeine the week before an A race but I got headaches and felt terrible so now I cut down to just 1 cup a day until 3 days out then cut it out completely.

I read somewhere that caffeine's effect runs out after a few hours so on 70.3s I didn't take any until the run and in IMs I had a Redbull after 60 miles.... this does work and gives you a real boost when you need it.

Reading other people's comments I'm now considering caffing up from the start and simply taking more!

I also read somewhere that 5mg /kg was the recommended amount....... for me that equates to 6 cups!!

Edit: it's actually 3-6 mg/kg

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/...ycling-Supplements-0
Last edited by: Stimps9: Mar 27, 17 16:03
Quote Reply
Re: What is your caffeine routine? [THesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THesel wrote:

You may have gotten through med school, residency, etc., without caffeine, but I bet you would have enjoyed it more had you started your day with a strong cup of coffee.

Exactly.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your caffeine routine? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
SharkFM wrote:

Best is to use caffeine for racing/ training and not on a regular consumption basis.

Says who?

I know QT2/core diet takes this approach and recommends it to all their athletes.

I'd love see a study/research on this to see if it's true.

It's here! (Spoiler - not true). http://http://www.mysportscience.com/...l-effect-of-caffeine

Asker Jeukendrup is a really good guy to follow in the sports nutrition world.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your caffeine routine? [sambadhillon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sambadhillon wrote:
One large cup. In the morning. Does 2 things:
a) Wakes and warms me up, getting me ready for the workout ahead
b) Cleans the system

Coffee > go to the race site > port-a-johns > setup transition > awesome racing day

Coffee grinder (the one we had and used for years) broke the morning of Lake Stevens 70.3. Turned for 1 second then smell of overheated electronics permeated the air. No coffee anywhere at 5 AM on Sunday. Stopped by port-a-johns twice during that race. Damn it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next