Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Getting Aero Cheap and Effective?
Quote | Reply
So this year will really be my second full year in triathlon. I rode last year on a Motobeccane road bike that I will continue to use this year bc the used tri bike market just wasn't what I wanted it to be for a 62cm bike. I did get some hand me down profile century design "aero bars" but the short length and limited ability to make these fit my base bar mean that these typically sit on the front of my bike for show more than they get used. I love the redshift system but it seems like spending $350 to "fix" a $600 road bike just seems like it will take away from my eventual tri-bike budget. I realize that doing this cheaply may not make a big impact on my actual time savings, but I would like to start to ride more in that aero position to get used to it while I look at buying a tri bike, and to help with wrist pain on long distance rides. Any suggestions on cost effective clip-on solutions that are either inexpensive or have components that could still be useful when I make the actual jump to a tri bike? I've read a little on chinese "carbon" options etc, but would love to hear from someone with experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting Aero Cheap and Effective? [tristartriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want longer extensions and don't want to dump money on it, go for aluminum Profile Designs (T1/2/3/4/5). Very adjustable, works with 26.0 or 31.8, can easily be cut down.

If you're having wrist pain on your road bike I'd get that fixed before dropping money on bars that you're not going to use in the near future when you get your tri bike. Different stem/bars/fit is going to serve you better.

Edit: or check out the V2/V4 bars, since they'll give you a lower stack height on your existing drop bars.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Last edited by: bryce_d: Mar 9, 17 13:12
Quote Reply
Re: Getting Aero Cheap and Effective? [bryce_d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bryce_d wrote:
If you want longer extensions and don't want to dump money on it, go for aluminum Profile Designs (T1/2/3/4/5). Very adjustable, works with 26.0 or 31.8, can easily be cut down.

If you're having wrist pain on your road bike I'd get that fixed before dropping money on bars that you're not going to use in the near future when you get your tri bike. Different stem/bars/fit is going to serve you better.

Edit: or check out the V2/V4 bars, since they'll give you a lower stack height on your existing drop bars.

I second that. From what I understand Chinese carbon can be pretty good for a cheap price but you really have a lot of DIY on your own so unless you're super comfortable doing all your own work and doing it right I'd forgo the "charbon" parts for a bit. Make sure you're getting the right bend too. I was S bend for years and the fitter put me on ski and I like it much better.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Getting Aero Cheap and Effective? [tristartriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's nothing wrong with spending good money on something like an Alpha X cockpit for your Motobecane (assuming you have an idea of where your stack/reach will fall in a TT position though the Alpha X is super adjustable). Frames in your size are hard to come by. Be patient and vigilant.

Felt makes some good aluminum options as well that are cheaper. If I were building a budget bike in your size I'd try to buy a p2/p3 for under $1,500, get a fast cockpit, and look at the new aluminum aero wheels from November.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting Aero Cheap and Effective? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
There's nothing wrong with spending good money on something like an Alpha X cockpit for your Motobecane (assuming you have an idea of where your stack/reach will fall in a TT position though the Alpha X is super adjustable). Frames in your size are hard to come by. Be patient and vigilant.

Felt makes some good aluminum options as well that are cheaper. If I were building a budget bike in your size I'd try to buy a p2/p3 for under $1,500, get a fast cockpit, and look at the new aluminum aero wheels from November.

Good call on the Felt. I bought an old B10 last year and it came with a pretty good basebar. If I ever feel the need to blow tons of money (and I might) I still may go with something thin and carbon but this is already good.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply