Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wrenches: Which Bottom Bracket Grease?
Quote | Reply
I could e-mail Wheels Mfg about this, but what fun would that be?

I'm considering getting a new BB for my BBRight bike (using a Shimano crank). It appears I need one type of PTFE grease to go to the inside surface of the BB shell, and then another type of grease (NOT PTFE) for the threads themselves. Is this right? What kind of grease are you guys using?
Quote Reply
Re: Wrenches: Which Bottom Bracket Grease? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn't really matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My favourite anti seize is the park tools version, it's silver in colour (nickel ?) rather than the traditional cooper anti seize compounds. You can see it on the headset cups here :

I bought it as it was recommended for Ti but I have used it all over all of my bikes since. It seems to hang around / stick to surfaces a lot better than the copper alternatives.

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
seems odd, this peculiar restriction on the threads. I use Finish Line Teflon everywhere on my BBs but don't have any BBrights.

Not even sure what they mean by 'high quality grease', really need more detail on what that would be. Here's a short primer -
http://machinerylubrication.com/...798/grease-selection

guess something like the Park Tool High-Performance grease would be safe though..
http://www.nashbar.com/...3_10052_595823_-1___
Last edited by: doug in co: Mar 8, 17 17:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:

I'm considering getting a new BB for my BBRight bike (using a Shimano crank). It appears I need one type of PTFE grease to go to the inside surface of the BB shell, and then another type of grease (NOT PTFE) for the threads themselves. Is this right? What kind of grease are you guys using?

CeramicSpeed. Jason Smith from Friction Facts tested a wide range. The CS grease really is better.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have to use two different types of grease because you do not want to put "locking" grease on the BB threads. If you did, you might not be able to unscrew them if you want to remove them. I used ParkTool Polylube 1000 on the threads, and SuperLube synthetic grease for the surfaces needing PFTE when I did the same install as you. (Finish Line Grease is another easily available PFTE grease.)

Plus, by asking on ST, you might not get the same, snarky "take it to a bike shop" response I got from Wheels Mfg when asking a question about install. Then again, you might....

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Last edited by: Tri3: Mar 9, 17 10:38
Quote Reply
Re: Wrenches: Which Bottom Bracket Grease? [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
misleading as the bbright does not use a traditional threaded bb as shown in image 2

you can get threaded in the center bbs to use on bbright, but not what you seem to be talking about
Quote Reply
Re: Wrenches: Which Bottom Bracket Grease? [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The OP is converting to Shimano. The adapter from Wheels Mfg threads together in the middle.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Wrenches: Which Bottom Bracket Grease? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
It doesn't really matter.

For this application, just pick the prettiest tube.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Wrenches: Which Bottom Bracket Grease? [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, but that is not what the images shown are talking about. look where they are placing the grease in image 2. not the center threads in the middle of the BB.

I know what you are talking about, I have 2 of those bb's for pf30. these images are too blurry :)

op should specify what exact model BB he/she has
Last edited by: jeffp: Mar 9, 17 12:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same question so I emailed Wheels Mfg. This was the response.

" We basically recommend pure Teflon/PTFE greases because their inert chemical properties will not break down carbon over time. You may use a product such as Finish line Extreme Fluoro and Rock and Roll Web Grease that is a Teflon PTFE based grease. However, you may use “carbon safe” greases such as the Park Tool HPG-1 or PPL-1, respectively. "

I ended up going with the R&R Web Grease.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:

I use Philwood grease for all bike parts.

PTFE ? Isn't that plumber's thread tape?
Quote Reply
Re: Wrenches: Which Bottom Bracket Grease? [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
PTFE ? Isn't that plumber's thread tape?
PTFE is short for Polytetrafluoroethylene, a plastic better known as Teflon.
It's got very useful low friction properties and is also stable at reasonably high temperatures (for a plastic).
It's used for lots of different things including plumbers tape, non-stick cooking pans, liners for bike cable outers, as particles in lubricants, for non-roller bearings, gaskets, seals, numerous uses in clean production equipment (food, drug and medical device manufacturing) and in medical devices themselves.
I'm sure there's lots more I'm unaware of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everybody! I now have a pretty good idea about the 2 kinds of grease I need to do this right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use this for my bike grease.... good grease and the "marine" bit makes is somewhat more water resistant than other greases. You can get it from other places, think Walmart even carries something similar.

http://www.harborfreight.com/marine-boat-trailer-and-4x4-wheel-bearing-grease-97844.html
Quote Reply