Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help, my bike was stolen...
Quote | Reply
And now I have to buy a new bike!!! My days of serious triathlon are probably gone for a few years. Will probably just do 1-3 sprints or olympics a year for fun so I will probably just get another road bike and slap some aero-bars on when needed. The stolen bike was a 10 year old Specialized that needed to get replaced anyway. Never had a bike fit. Looking to drop between $2K-$4K all in. Anybody have recommendations on what to look for in that price range? Component recommendations? Can I get a power meter done in this range? I haven't shopped for one in a really long time so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

By the by, the stolen bike was locked in the garage of my condo building in Chicago. We have the guy on video steeling multiple bikes from the building over a few day period. The cops said they know who it is but will not be pursuing an arrest.
Quote Reply
Re: Help, my bike was stolen... [Rothman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They know who the guy is but won't be persuing an arrest ?

WTF !!!!

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Help, my bike was stolen... [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Consider getting an aero road bike, like a Giant Propel, and put aero bars on it. This would give you a good road bike and you could still use it in Tri's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a good place to lock this new bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Help, my bike was stolen... [bikewrecker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's bullshit. I'm a District Asset Protection Manager for a retailer and it really bothers me when police do the minimum. I mean, it is a broken system... the guy that stole your bike is probably pawning it to put food on the table so it's not going to fix a bigger problem.

That being said, you have a budget that if spent well on a nice used set up, would go a long way.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rothman wrote:
The cops said they know who it is but will not be pursuing an arrest.

I don't understand. Isn't this their job? If they aren't going to do their job, what happens when someone decides to do it for them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about the theft - hopefully when you get your new bike, it doesn't happen again!

I agree with the above poster in getting an aero road bike - look at bikes like the Specialized Venge, the Felt AR line, the Giant Propel, or the Cervelo S line. That will give you a great road bike that has some decent aero gains for when you do slap on some aero bars for your occasional tri. For $2-4k, you can get a great bike with a mix of 105 and ultega level components and you can probably wiggle a power meter in there too.

https://www.specialized.com/...e/venge-elite/115695

http://www.feltbicycles.com/...s/road/aero/ar3.aspx

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/propel-advanced-1

https://www.cervelo.com/...ecs%20and%20geometry
Quote Reply
Re: Help, my bike was stolen... [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
I don't understand. Isn't this their job? If they aren't going to do their job, what happens when someone decides to do it for them?

It's Chicago. One of the leading crime-cities in the country. The police are overwhelmed. Bike theft is probably pretty low on the radar when they are dealing with their record violent crimes
Rothman wrote:
Looking to drop between $2K-$4K all in. Anybody have recommendations on what to look for in that price range? Component recommendations? Can I get a power meter done in this range?
New or used. And, how handy are you with building yourself from components?

I am in the process of building a budget very good road bike. I have my eyes on a Specialized Tarmac S-Works SL4 frame... those are high performance and a very good value on the used market. Then, I will use a combination of stuff lying around and some new take-off used components. I should be able to build the bike for well under $2K. Since you are thinking double-duty as a tri bike, then I would get one of the aero options, like the Venge, Madone, Felt AR, etc. You can find great used options for around $2K. In my city, someone is selling a Felt AR4 with a power meter for $1,700.

Since you are not likely to ride it a lot, Shimano 105-level components are great.

If you are looking new, then you are looking at a bunch of choices with 105 components in the $2,500 range (Felt AR5, Venge Elite, BMC TMR02, etc.). For that price, you can easily add a power meter and stay under $4K.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Mar 8, 17 6:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about the theft. Not sure what size your looking for but I have a 56cm 2014 Madone 5.2 that was built up with a SRAM Force 22 drive train that I am looking to sell; just have not got around to putting it in the classifieds yet. Bike has less than 500 miles on it in total, is in great shape, and I would be willing to sell at the low end of your price range. No worries either way but happy to provide photos if your interested.

All the best.

Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
Consider getting an aero road bike, like a Giant Propel, and put aero bars on it. This would give you a good road bike and you could still use it in Tri's.

Umm, no! If you are going to slap aero bars on a road bike then steer clear of any with a proprietary seat post. That way you can replace the seat post with a red shift post and move the seat forward on the fly whenever you want to go into the aerobars...i.e., you will be in the proper position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know of a case where the police knew a criminal well, but decided not to go after them for a burglary and wait for them to commit a bigger crime so that they could put them away for longer. I don't approve of this, just sharing a similar scenario.
Quote Reply
Re: Help, my bike was stolen... [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:

Umm, no! If you are going to slap aero bars on a road bike then steer clear of any with a proprietary seat post. That way you can replace the seat post with a red shift post and move the seat forward on the fly whenever you want to go into the aerobars...i.e., you will be in the proper position.

Not true for all aero road bikes - with the Felt AR you can flip the seatpost to get you into a tri position. Easy enough to do before a race. But I do agree with the Redshift Seatpost - I have it on my Tarmac right now and it's perfect for on-the-fly switching between aero and road positions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously. No interest in doing anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Help, my bike was stolen... [bikewrecker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife can't argue with me keeping it in the condo now.
Quote Reply
Re: Help, my bike was stolen... [redfox29] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the idea of going with the Aero road bike option. Thanks for the links!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had the Redshift post on my last bike. Definitely getting another one.
Quote Reply
Re: Help, my bike was stolen... [redfox29] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Redshift on my Argon 18 Gallium Pro. I like being able to go back and forth with it in a race; not having to turn a seat post around, and reinstall the seat, before the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:

On my Giant Propel you can rotate the seat clamp to move the seat more forward. If you are going to buy a Propel check that you can still rotate the seat clamp. The bars on some of the Propels are not a standard shape/size. To fit aero bars to them you either need to buy Giant aero bars or see if there are any other manufactures that make aero bars specifically for the Propel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rothman wrote:
And now I have to buy a new bike!!! My days of serious triathlon are probably gone for a few years. Will probably just do 1-3 sprints or olympics a year for fun so I will probably just get another road bike and slap some aero-bars on when needed. The stolen bike was a 10 year old Specialized that needed to get replaced anyway. Never had a bike fit. Looking to drop between $2K-$4K all in. Anybody have recommendations on what to look for in that price range? Component recommendations? Can I get a power meter done in this range? I haven't shopped for one in a really long time so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

By the by, the stolen bike was locked in the garage of my condo building in Chicago. We have the guy on video steeling multiple bikes from the building over a few day period. The cops said they know who it is but will not be pursuing an arrest.

Sorry to hear about the theft.....doubt the guy who stole it was "looking to put food on the table". Lots of good options out there especially if you want to go to the top of your budget range. Lots of threads in the "search section" about best deals. And you still might find a 2016 leftover at a great price. But if you into "serious triathlon", I might consider a deal on a tri-specific bike, especially if you are going to continue to do tri's over the next few years. Guess it depends on how often you do road riding as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sucks donkey balls. I do get to keep the bikes in the condo.

Where in Chicago are you at? I'm up in Lincoln Park.

Jon
Quote Reply
Re: Help, my bike was stolen... [GSJon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big donkey balls!

I'm in Little Italy area. The police said the guy got bikes from buildings all over the neighborhood.
Quote Reply