Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Japan gets 20 more slots on the pier at IM Canada [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth wrote:
I don't think WTC have to honour the commitment of the Japanese athletes, but it is a nice touch to reward that country's commitment after WTC closed one of the original races (30 YO wasn't it?).

It's a shame it's gone.

The race at Toya Ko was not the original.

Ironman in Japan has had a punctuated history with the original Biwa Ko (Central Honshu) course in the late '80s to early '90s being discontinued due to traffic/road closure problems.

The race was resurrected for a while at Goto Island, west of Honshu, around the turn of the century but a foot-and-mouth outbreak resulted in travel restrictions and a cancellation of the race and it was not staged again.

There was another hiatus before the most recent incarnation at Toya Ko in Hokkaido which was held for less than 5 years IIRC.

It seems Japan has been without an Ironman branded event just as much as they've had one in the last 30 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Japan gets 20 more slots on the pier at IM Canada [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Back in the day when there was only the 5 International IM races, there was always a large contingent of Japanese triathetes who would come over to race Ironman Canada (Penticton) every year. A sizable enough group that they used to have a separate pre-race meeting for all the Japanese triathletes conducted in Japanese and that Race Announcer Steve King, would have a number of Japanese words/phrases he learned, to and greet and welcome Japanese races to the finish line!

Similar situation at the time at Ironman Australia. With the Japanese usually the largest foreign contingent, one of my friends was they official interpreter/tour guide/host/bus driver and conducted the Japanese language race briefing.
Quote Reply
Re: Japan gets 20 more slots on the pier at IM Canada [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
In any case, in a country as rich and resourceful as Japan, it is a bit surprising that they can't pull together an IM Japan event. Hokkaido seemed doomed right out of the start with too tough a course and bad weather.

Yes, it is certainly perplexing as to why IM has had such a chequered history in Japan.

I thought they had finally hit on the right location in Hokkaido. The island is relatively sparsely populated, Toya-ko is conveniently close to Sapporo for transport connections, it is a beautifully clean lake for swimming and the cycling course is both scenic and challenging.

Hokkaido is less susceptible to typhoons than the rest of Japan (both in frequency and severity), so weather is less likely to be a factor than the previous courses.

Not sure about the course being too tough. The swim and run certainly hid no demons.

Perhaps the cycle might turn off a few international athletes, but I can't imagine it would deter the average Japanese triathlete and that's the demographic critical to the race's continued viability. Plenty of kick-arse endurance races in Japan have been staged for decades with little or no foreign interest and I think it's a bit ethnocentric to think that Ironman need be any different. With the spread of the franchise around the globe, a smaller proportion of athletes now race IM internationally than they did in the days of just NZ/Aust/Japan/Germany/Kona and if there's a thriving domestic scene and it's not a "resort" or "destination" race, luring foreigners is now largely irrelevant to a race's ongoing success.

I always thought the run course would have been pretty cool with a single lap circling the lake, (a neat 26 miles and a beautiful run in it's own right), but the logistics of the multiple out-and-back option is obviously less complicated.

Part of me would like to have raced Toya-ko. It was probably the only IM-branded event of recent years that appeared satisfactorily attractive for me to consider overcoming my aversion to dragging my tri gear overseas.
Quote Reply

Prev Next