Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

normalized or average power for calories burned?
Quote | Reply
Curious which would be more accurate. I did a 2.5hr ride today and I know the "3.6*avg P*(minutes/60)" yields approximate calories burned, but since normalized power is the stress your body deals with and adapts to, would that also be said for caloric burn? Todays NP was 262, average power was 228. The difference would be like 300 calories. Which means I'd be guilt-free for a beer later haha.

Going to a hypothetical extreme, if for a 1hr workout your NP was 300 and average pwr was 150 (as painful as that'd be), it's comparing 1080 calories burned to 540. It would make more sense to take average power in my head, since there would be a lot of super easy spinning in that scenario, which doesn't take much effort at all. But there might be some muscle-use-oxygen-fat-burning-science?

Average.
Quote Reply
Re: normalized or average power for calories burned? [odpaul7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am guessing that you are using a powermeter?
Why not just used kj?
Quote Reply
Re: normalized or average power for calories burned? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Average.

Thanks for being succinct haha. I never found KJ on my Garmin so I just ran average.

average power relates to actual mechanical work that you deliver to the road. You can map directly from Average power, multiple by second to get joules and then convert to calories by multiplying by 4.184 (1 cal = amount of heat to raise 1 gram of water by 1 degree C), then you divide by 1000 to get "food Calories" (Cal=amount of heat required to raise 1 kilogram or 1L of water by 1 degree C) and then there is the efficiency of the human machine, (if I recall its around 25 percent, so it basically cancels the conversion from joules to small calories) and then you're at the energy you used during the workout. So the kjoule number you see is more or less the food Calories your body is burning through during the workout. All that to say, take the ave power, multiple by seconds divide by 1000 to get ~ food calories.
Quote Reply