Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70.3 Schedule Weekly Activities?
Quote | Reply
Last year I started triathlon and I did 1 sprint and 1 Olympic. This year I am going to tackle a 1/2 iron distance in July. Wondering what your schedule looks like each week for the amount of swim, rides and runs that you do. I am married and have a child so I think thinking 7-10 hours of training time is what I am going to be able to allot.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.
Last edited by: ericallenboyd: Mar 2, 17 20:33
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Schedule Weekly Activities? [ericallenboyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did my first sprint last May & 70.3 in September.

Monday->Thursday I'd do the Zwift ftp builder, couple of 4 mile runs in the morning (tempo/interval) and a couple of 1 mile bricks (after the easier Zwift sessions)
Friday off
Saturday->Sunday long ride (built to 60 miles) long run (10 miles) and swimming both days.

Closer to the race I did some longer bricks.

Very roughly that's 3 hours of running, 7 of biking and 1 swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's your aim (ie just finish, time or placing?)

And what are your strengths/weaknesses?

Other than going longer, the main thing you need to do is practice nutrition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim 3x, Bike 4x, Run 4x. This would be the minimum amount to race to the best of your ability. I would recommend 3 indoor training rides during the week to get the most bang for your buck time wise.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Schedule Weekly Activities? [FairDestroyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I would like to do well in the race but I am not expecting podium.

My training schedule right now roughly looks like this:

Swimming: Took a break from it and have been off for the last 3 months. Going to start back up mid April and will go 3 days a week and more than likely join a masters program.

Riding: Since May 16 I have been probably riding 99% indoor on zwift with my kickr snap as it is the most convenient for my time with the family. I usually ride 3-4 days with 3 of those days being 1 hour and the other day being 2.5 hours. I try to ride one race on flat, one day of hills, 1 recovery day and then the last day is the longer ride on a flat surface.

Running: Been running 3 days a week now around 15 miles total.

Moving forward I will probably throw in a bike/run or two in there as a swim/bike brick is not as convenient. I just need to write down an actual training plan as right now it is not very specific due to not in 100% training mode.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no idea how old you are. I'm 52. My last 2 races were 70.3's (Lake Logan and Augusta). I did them on 3S/2-3B/4R per week. I was doing a 1-1.5 hr ride during the week and a (towards the end) 50-65 mi. ride on Saturdays. Running mpw topped out at +/- 27 with at least 2-3 runs of my race distance mixed in, as the race neared.

I started to say....."If I had it to do over again".....but, I DO have it to do over again. I'm doing Choo 1/2 in May and IM Louisville. I'm adding an additional trainer ride this year and an additional run (5x/wk this year).

Before the first half last year, I was good about doing big day training (swim at least my race distance.....big ride....long run) a couple-three times before my race (all back-to-back). I didn't do that for the second 1/2 ....and it bit me in the ass. I finished, but it wasn't nearly as much fun as the first one. My somewhat novice advice is not to overlook the big days.

Good luck. I think you'll love the distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is my super-rough schedule...

The weekday AM time slots are mine, because they happen before anyone gets out of bed. The evening time slots are after dinner, when my kids are generally working on homework. These slots would be a lot more difficult if my kids did not have anything else going on. Then, the Saturday AM run does not interrupt family too much, because I can be back home as early as 9:00 AM (or earlier if I run early from home). The most challenging is the long Sunday ride if I try to get outdoors. Otherwise, I can usually knock out a 2 hour trainer ride without much interruption.

This gets me around 10 hours a week, give or take because my weekday runs are typically less than 1 hour, and I sometimes miss one of the weekday evening rides. But, when I am nearing a race and focusing, I am hitting everything and doing about 12 hours/week.

M: 1 Hour Run AM
T: 1 Hour Swim AM; 1 to 1.5 Hour Ride PM
W: 1 Hour Run AM; 1 to 1.5 Hour Ride PM
Th: 1 Hour Swim AM; 1 to 1.5 Hour Ride PM
S: 2 Hour Long Run AM
S: 2-3 Hour Long Ride
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Schedule Weekly Activities? [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am turning 40 next month and I think that I will love the distance. My weakness is definitely the swim because I have not done enough of it to start liking it. Not like I dread going to the pool when I was I just have not swum enough to get into decent shape.

nc452010 wrote:
I have no idea how old you are. I'm 52. My last 2 races were 70.3's (Lake Logan and Augusta). I did them on 3S/2-3B/4R per week. I was doing a 1-1.5 hr ride during the week and a (towards the end) 50-65 mi. ride on Saturdays. Running mpw topped out at +/- 27 with at least 2-3 runs of my race distance mixed in, as the race neared.

I started to say....."If I had it to do over again".....but, I DO have it to do over again. I'm doing Choo 1/2 in May and IM Louisville. I'm adding an additional trainer ride this year and an additional run (5x/wk this year).

Before the first half last year, I was good about doing big day training (swim at least my race distance.....big ride....long run) a couple-three times before my race (all back-to-back). I didn't do that for the second 1/2 ....and it bit me in the ass. I finished, but it wasn't nearly as much fun as the first one. My somewhat novice advice is not to overlook the big days.

Good luck. I think you'll love the distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Basic break down while in season:
Monday: easy bike or run as recovery
Tuesday: run and possibly a swim
Wednesday: hard run - generally intervals at the local HS track
Thursday: hard bike - generally intervals over FTP & swim
Friday - easy run
Saturday - long bike and short run
Sunday - long run with either a swim or bike

Using this basic schedule for last season, I peaked around 18 hours focused on 70.3. I have two young kids and the early mornings need to become your workout friend!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply