Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Texas Hell Week
Quote | Reply
Tell me about it...I'm signed up for 4 days on coach's orders and will be heading down on the 10th. I'm heading down solo and I don't know anyone else who will be there. I'm pretty much going in blind so any pointers or tips on how the rides work or what to expect would be much appreciated. My wife is considering joining me for a couple of days but she's worried about finding the right group to settle into (she rides a 70.3 bike split in ~3 hrs). What does the rider strength range look like? Is there really something for everyone as the website claims?
Quote Reply
Re: Texas Hell Week [gd28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uh, what are you talking about?

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Texas Hell Week [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Texas+Hell+Week
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's awesome and you'll love it. When you check in, they will give you maps and schedules. Each day there are A, B, and C rides. All riders meet at a motel parking lot at the same time and the A group rolls out first. The rides are non-supported, so bring fluids, nutrition and cash. The scenery is beautiful and there are lots of climbs.

Lots of shops, restaurants, bars in town. Have fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think what Jimmy B said covers most of the ride itself.. The routes are shuffled around each year, so it is kind of a surprise which route is which day until you get your packet. Bring a couple bottles of fluids. The routes are designed to stop by a gas station or some sort of store so that you can buy fluids/snacks, so don't skip them when you see people stopping at a spot.

Also, if you've never ridden in the hill country, be prepared for stretches with cattle/sheep/goats roaming the roads and occasional cattle guards across the road to keep them on the right property. It may be bumpy or have a pothole along the front edge, but normally you can just go straight across the cattle guard and you'll be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas Hell Week [krull_etc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thanks for the info. What about the range of rider abilities? Do a decent number of ~16-18 mph riders show up?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its hard to judge speed on some of the hilly routes, but I'd say "Yes". There are all abilities when I've gone: crazy ultra endurance riders doing RAAM qualifiers and 300K brevets, roadies from Dallas & Austin, beginners from all over, average triathletes, and a ton of people from the midwest that have been hammering on the trainer all winter. Other than the ultra long rides you won't be very alone.
Quote Reply