Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How does elite AG OD training differ from IM training?
Quote | Reply
Curious to understand how Olympic Distance elite AGers train in terms of hours per week and "key" workouts on S B R. I know it differs as much as IM training differs between individuals and that there is a lot more to it than hours, just trying to get out of pure curiosity a general sense of training volume and type of workouts.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: How does elite AG OD training differ from IM training? [andreasjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See this thread for appropriate research regarding your question
Quote Reply
Re: How does elite AG OD training differ from IM training? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well played.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: How does elite AG OD training differ from IM training? [andreasjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As most folks doing OD or IM will have the same time during the week the main difference will be the length of the Long ride and Run, the rest of the training will be pretty similar.

http://www.tri-monkey.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: How does elite AG OD training differ from IM training? [RLB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RLB wrote:
As most folks doing OD or IM will have the same time during the week the main difference will be the length of the Long ride and Run, the rest of the training will be pretty similar.

IM training has SAME volume and hours but:
Longer long runs
Longer long rides
Longer hard rides
Tempo run might be easier
Swim speed work might be easier
Quote Reply
Re: How does elite AG OD training differ from IM training? [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
RLB wrote:

IM training has SAME volume and hours but:
Longer long runs
Longer long rides
Longer hard rides
Tempo run might be easier
Swim speed work might be easier

That seems to be what I did when I trained form IMLT 2013

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, per an earlier response... it probably starts with defining what you consider "elite"

I'm going to stay out of the whole argument about what an elite AGer is or isn't. But happy to share how I approach OD and IM distances as A priority races. My hours per week are pretty much set. 14hrs a week for me is about the max I can ever do and the average is closer to 10-12. So my goal is always just to get into the best shape I can with the time I have. That means a focus on intensity, because for me I wouldn't be introducing enough stress in a week to create an adaptation. I should add, that I started as a bike racer almost 30 years ago - so I have the benefit of having many years as a base. I don't have time to do lots of long distance stuff. So the only real change is that I negotiate a couple days with the fam to cram in 3-4 extra long days in the 6 weeks leading up to an IM. By long days, I mean 6+ hrs zone 2 & 3. It's not perfect, but I find that if I'm OD fit, I can do an IM. In my opinion, there's almost no difference training for OD and 70.3.

The other thing I'll say is that even OD is a 2hr race. So from an aerobic standpoint these races are all very similar. The big difference I think is the jump in muscular fatigue that happens with IM. Whenever I've done IM, my legs die. I haven't done it, but I think it makes sense (and research would back this up) that strength training could really help. Traditionally, with a time crunch I've believed that you'll get the most bang for your time training sticking to the sport you're training for. But for my next IM, I plan to incorporate strength training this time around.
Quote Reply