Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Move to Madison [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
onceatriathlet3 wrote:
My main concerns are finding a solid masters group and a good cycling club or two, but it seems like yours and others have answered those questions. I just don't know if I can go back to the cold! Haha. I may take you up on that. I'm potentially going there for a PhD program at UW and I'm trying to arrange a visit right now.

I recently moved back to Madison and everything in this thread is spot on. I do masters in Research Park at the UW Health clinic (621 Science Dr.). The skill levels vary dramatically with some beginners and some ex-collegiate swimmers but overall people are on the slower side for masters. Classes are at 6am, noon, and 6:40pm depending on the day. I have a friend who does masters at Middleton High School and has said that is pretty good.

There are a lot of strong cycling clubs in the area with GDVC probably being the best. The Capitol Brewery group ride is pretty good if you're looking for an introduction to people.
Quote Reply
Re: Move to Madison [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
onceatriathlet3 wrote:
I really love the riding out into Hill Country west of Austin. Is there riding like that in Madison? I used to live in Ann Arbor so I'm no stranger to the cold, but I don't know if I can go back to my trainer for winters!

Would suggest pulling up strava and do a search for Ironman Wisconsin. Review the sections out by Mt Horeb. That whole area to the west gets more and more savage. No huge extended climbs but rollers for days.

My father in law Iives in Mt Horeb. He's 76 and kicks my ass on the hills out there. Ride out of his driveway and right up a 1/4mi 8% hill. Haha. Hell of a way to start arise. Then we go out to bluemounds and I die. Definitely awesome riding over there. Plus it's very easy to watch the 2 M-dot races in the who area.

Wisconsinite Fat Felt rider.
Quote Reply

Prev Next