Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Getting my first set of carbon wheels, any ideas? [JCAndroid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whatever you end up getting, it should be a good deal and value over the long haul. Highly recommend not going out and buying whatever is available at the moment just so you have them for your upcoming next race. This is usually a long term purchase. Personally, I'd rather have a set of new wheels as opposed to used, especially if you don't know the seller and can't verify how many miles on the wheels.....but that's just me.
Last edited by: gphin305: Mar 2, 17 10:29
Quote Reply
Re: Getting my first set of carbon wheels, any ideas? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
You pay and then wait.

Not exactly. We did that during our first ever sale 5 years ago, but haven't since. We don't take advanced payments. We only sell when we have stock in hand.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Last edited by: Canadian: Mar 2, 17 10:48
Quote Reply
Re: Getting my first set of carbon wheels, any ideas? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
You pay and then wait.
Correction: you wait, and then you pay. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Getting my first set of carbon wheels, any ideas? [JCAndroid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JCAndroid wrote:

Thanks for the detailed info.

I was considering Flo at first, but I noticed you have no stock. Basically I have to wait for the next release March/April, correct? How does the sale work?

We currently have a container on the water that should arrive at our fulfillment center near the end of this month. When it's in stock we open up a sale for people to buy. In the past as we've been growing, the containers (600-1000 wheels) have been known to sell out very quickly, but we have been holding stock much longer now. As an example, we had stock for essentially the entire winter.

We should have final shipping dates within the next couple of weeks. When we finalize those details we'll send out an email notification to those who are on the list with specific sale info.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Getting my first set of carbon wheels, any ideas? [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for correcting me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey I'm kinda late giving my 2 cents...I kept my eye on the classified section and scored a really nice set of Zipp 404's. They came with the cassette I was going to purchase for them separately and had on 100 miles on them, new! Can't argue with Zipp right...just an idea
Quote Reply
Re: Getting my first set of carbon wheels, any ideas? [Larryl115] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's very simple math. Forget weight, aerodynamics, yaw, pitch, etc. Get the most expensive wheels that your significant other will let you get away with because you won't be buying a new set of wheels for a few years. I own a pair of older Zipp 404's and have absolutely no chance in getting new wheels anytime soon. Just sayin....
Quote Reply
Re: Getting my first set of carbon wheels, any ideas? [Larryl115] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Larryl115 wrote:
Hey I'm kinda late giving my 2 cents...I kept my eye on the classified section and scored a really nice set of Zipp 404's. They came with the cassette I was going to purchase for them separately and had on 100 miles on them, new! Can't argue with Zipp right...just an idea

Yeah lots of bargains on the 2nd hand market.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting my first set of carbon wheels, any ideas? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for the 62.5mm Swiss Side Hadrons front and rear.
20% off 2017 versions.
https://www.swissside.com/products
Had mine for a few years now (when the Euro was kinder to us Brits).
Excellent all round especially in the wind - took them out in pretty blustery conditions last weekend and was amazed at the stability.
Can't confess to be an aero or wheel geek but they seem good to me.
G
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard Dished wheels are on special.

Only fools never change their minds and I'll never change my mind about that.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting my first set of carbon wheels, any ideas? [trytri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trytri3 wrote:
It's very simple math. Forget weight, aerodynamics, yaw, pitch, etc. Get the most expensive wheels that your significant other will let you get away with because you won't be buying a new set of wheels for a few years. I own a pair of older Zipp 404's and have absolutely no chance in getting new wheels anytime soon. Just sayin....

+1 I need to get the yankee candle ready for tonight's negotiation
Quote Reply
Re: Getting my first set of carbon wheels, any ideas? [Gmehje] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gmehje wrote:
+1 for the 62.5mm Swiss Side Hadrons front and rear.
20% off 2017 versions.
https://www.swissside.com/products
Had mine for a few years now (when the Euro was kinder to us Brits).
Excellent all round especially in the wind - took them out in pretty blustery conditions last weekend and was amazed at the stability.
Can't confess to be an aero or wheel geek but they seem good to me.
G

Yeah I really liked those ones, cool design and great performance for what I could read. Not sold in the US though.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting my first set of carbon wheels, any ideas? [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hiro11 wrote:
My unvarnished opinions (note: opinions means not facts):

1. Deep section carbon rims offer one of the worst dollars/watt ratios. Things like shoe covers offer more watts. Position modification is free and offers the greatest benefit. Buy them because you think they look cool, not because of performance gains. Frames are worse! Shoe covers take time in transition but might be worthwhile for IM, maybe.
2. Deep section wheels are harder to manage in cross winds. They can be a real problem for even experienced cyclists, especially in a tri/TT position. I learned this the hard way when I got blown off the road when I was an the limit in a TT out in the corn fields. So I've heard but I've had no issues myself. 62.5mm/85mm combo of Swiss Side Hadrons and I've been out on unsheltered mountain roads on blustery days without any problems.
3. Wheel with carbon brake tracks typically have terrible braking. As in non-existent braking in rain. Alloy rims make more sense. Carbon brake tracks are mostly the result of ignorance or vanity.
4. Rolling resistance is not all that important. The difference between the best and worst tires is pretty small. Certainly rolling resistance is dwarfed by aero in terms of impact to performance at speed. There are trade-offs with rolling resistance in comfort/pressure/tire width/road surface etc. Lab results are essentially meaningless to me. Regardless, tubeless is the way to go IMO. Depends how fast you'll be going. Weaker riders and/or hilly routes may benefit significantly from lower RR tyres. Saving of several watts can potentially be made, which I'd expect to provide a better cost/benefit ratio than you'll get with deep section rims. As or more importantly, faster tyres typically also feel nicer.
5. Cheap aero wheels typically come with weak and unreliable hubs. If you want aero wheels, I'd personally buy inexpensive alloy tracked rims and build them up with good quality hubs.
6. I've seen far more broken spokes with deep section rims than box rims.
7. Controlling for tires, aero rims often ride very roughly. They're very stiff. I'm always highly skeptical of claims regarding wheels and comfort. Wheels don't flex radially by a noticeable amount. Laterally perhaps, but that's not what you're talking about. Radial wheel stiffness is almost entirely a function of the spokes, not the rim. Even ignoring that, an alloy rim with a carbon fairing should be much more similar to a simple alloy box rim in terms of stiffness than a structural carbon rim. Radial wheel flex is irrelevant to comfort. ALL the radial movement that matters comes from the tyre.
8. Weight weeneism is silly and often counterproductive. Generally agree.
Quote Reply

Prev Next