Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Laptop Choice for Computrainer Use
Quote | Reply
My Gateway desktop after many years of good use is old and needs replaced. Looking to purchase a laptop to use with my computrainer. Have been looking at the following laptops:

HP Pavilion ZD8000; 3 GHz pentium 4 630; 17" screen (1440X900 resolution), 80 GB harddrive

HP Pavilion ZV6000; 2.2 GHz AMD Athlon 64, 15.4" screen (1280x800 resolution); 80 GB harddrive

Dell Inspiron 6000; 2 GHz pentium M760, 15.4" screen (1680x1050 resolution); 80 GB harddrive

Gateway Platinum Edition (Bestbuy model) 1.86 GHz pentium M processor 750, 15.4" WXGA TFT Ultrabright widescreen; 100 GB harddrive

Which laptop would you choose to use with your computrainer and also just to have for an overall workhorse or perhaps multimedia laptop. Also what options are must haves and which are a waste of money?
Last edited by: Reparto Corse: Nov 19, 05 16:19
Quote Reply
Re: Laptop Choice for Computrainer Use [Reparto Corse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why a laptop ? Are you looking for portability ?
If your trainer never moves - just build up a base station. Much cheaper, reliable and expandable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HP's look the best. ( I am biased)

I love using a laptop. Screen right there in front of me.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got the ZD8000 (3.2 , 1 G Ram with 80 GB HD, 256 Vid Card). Works fine with the CT. However, it isn't a very portable laptap. It's a desktop replacement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think all will work with the CT. I would concentrate on what the computers main purpose is and not worry about the CT use. I have a Dell Laptop from 2001 that works great. I prefer it on the laptop as I can ride in the theater room instead of the office. Check out Marisols post on the CT winter TT series.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use my Dell laptop and it works great. I used to have an old desktop dedicated to the Computrainer. The laptop has more speed to download and better graphics. Also I don't need to tie up a compter for the Computrainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had good success with my Toshiba 1.8Mhz laptop and the computrainer on the rare occasion I use it. It was nice on a recent business trip to Vegas to be able to take my bike and computrainer (I drove) and ride in my hotel room.

Best ever setup was borrowing the digital projector from work and riding in front of a 56 inch screen, almost like the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Laptop Choice for Computrainer Use [flying wombat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for the past 9 years or so, I have used a dell laptop everyday in an industrial/manufacturing environment...on the floor, not in an office. my company provided me with dell lattitudes because they are robust and reliable (a little more so than the inspiron). I recently purchased an dell inspiron for my realtor wife - well, I spec'd it, she paid for it - for her to drag around. I changed jobs recently and my new company provided me with a...you guessed it...dell lattitude. I wouldn't consider buying anything else.

hell, I didn't even know gateway was still in business.
Last edited by: p2k: Nov 20, 05 5:22
Quote Reply