Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stages power- watts decreasing over time?
Quote | Reply
I'm on the first gen stages (yeh yeh, I know) and for a few years my races at sprint distance were quite consistent in nominal power. In fact they only varied around 1 or 2 watts.
This season I'm having a bit of an anomaly. I have done more training and my speed has increased, also evidenced by racing against the same people as before as well as using virtual power in trainer road. However all season my stages is now consistantly started to read 10 watts lower. To be more precise, last seasons races I was up and around 240 watts give or take a watt. This season I'm only hitting 230 but I'm quicker. Position hasn't changed, speed is actually up. Beating or keeping with the same people. Trainerroad virtual power has risen

I know stages are fairly shit, but are they known to drift like this? I calibrate every ride and get numbers very close all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages power- watts decreasing over time? [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stages are somewhat notorious for dropouts, have you checked your power files for this? If you're having a few seconds of zero Watts every now-and-then it'll certainly bring your average down and you might not necessarily spot it if you have power displayed on your head-unit as say 10+ second smoothed.

I'd have a look at one of your turbo sessions on TrainingPeaks, stick the smoothing slider thing down to zero and see if you can see any unexpected spikes downwards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you taken on a more aggressive position?
This would be the good kind of change where you sacrifice some whats, but is pays off in terms of better aerodynamics hence you're faster overall...

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Re: Stages power- watts decreasing over time? [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could definitely be dropping data, as mentioned above. Have you changed your computer, or moved its position? My Garmin 920XT drops a lot of data, which is a known issue. My Garmin Edge doesn't seem to miss a beat.

I would call Stages. I have had three Stages cranks, and their customer service has been outstanding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
I'm on the first gen stages (yeh yeh, I know) and for a few years my races at sprint distance were quite consistent in nominal power. In fact they only varied around 1 or 2 watts.
This season I'm having a bit of an anomaly. I have done more training and my speed has increased, also evidenced by racing against the same people as before as well as using virtual power in trainer road. However all season my stages is now consistantly started to read 10 watts lower. To be more precise, last seasons races I was up and around 240 watts give or take a watt. This season I'm only hitting 230 but I'm quicker. Position hasn't changed, speed is actually up. Beating or keeping with the same people. Trainerroad virtual power has risen

I know stages are fairly shit, but are they known to drift like this? I calibrate every ride and get numbers very close all the time.
1. Power asymmetry is normal and variable asymmetry is normal.
2. I'd suggest checking your power meter's slope calibration but you can't with many of today's meters, including Stages AFAIK.
3. Data transmission / head unit issues.

The reality with unilateral power meters is you can never really know the answer since the error in measurement is both unknown and variable.

Be happy you're faster but don't expect such equipment to be able to help you reliably understand why.

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: Stages power- watts decreasing over time? [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all. No my position hasn't changed at all and checking the data there have been no drop outs at all.
I have had it for 3 years i think stages won't warranty it unfortunately - def getting dual sided next time
Quote Reply