Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Shimano Ultegra Di2 orSram RED eTAP Blips and RED eTAP Clics [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoops, nevermind, realized I was looking at your original build pics
Last edited by: SBRcoffee: Mar 1, 17 13:23
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Ultegra Di2 orSram RED eTAP Blips and RED eTAP Clics [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Grill wrote:
The cockpit is where wires can be difficult to conceal and SRAM's solution is worse than Di2 where it actually matters. Let me know when eTap TT actually becomes wireless with an easy took hide blipbox and we'll talk. No way I could get my P5 front end as clean with eTap.

Is the issue here specifically the size difference between the Shimano 5-port junction box and the SRAM BlipBox? Otherwise, the wiring and setup is similar at the cockpit, right?

I have a nice little compartment in the nose of my Felt I frame meant for a Shimano junction box. I need to find out if it is large enough for a BlipBox.

I can confirm this one for you ... It DOES NOT fit the IA front brake cover. I was tossing the idea of eTap last year and I spoke to Super Dave he confirmed this. Once that was confirmed I went Di2 and there are no wires in the system exposed except for a 6cm section which exit the rear of my extension bars into the stem.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Ultegra Di2 orSram RED eTAP Blips and RED eTAP Clics [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PushThePace wrote:
I can confirm this one for you ... It DOES NOT fit the IA front brake cover. I was tossing the idea of eTap last year and I spoke to Super Dave he confirmed this. Once that was confirmed I went Di2 and there are no wires in the system exposed except for a 6cm section which exit the rear of my extension bars into the stem.
Well rats; and thanks. I prefer everything hidden. But, I have a screw hole in the center cover of my Alpha X bar/stem that could accommodate a pretty clean mount underneath my BTA bottle. But, still not as good as totally invisible.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Ultegra Di2 orSram RED eTAP Blips and RED eTAP Clics [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is an image of mine. This year I'm going to move my extensions forward a bit ad then run the cables down the pedestals for a bit more cleanliness but overall it is already 99% clean as can be.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Ultegra Di2 orSram RED eTAP Blips and RED eTAP Clics [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any rumors on an updated E-Tap and/or wireless Shimano??
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Ultegra Di2 orSram RED eTAP Blips and RED eTAP Clics [k89533720] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Resurrecting this thread and going to add disc brake thoughts between the two systems.

I'm in the market for a new road bike and 1st Choice is the Canyon's Ultimate. I have only ever used Shimano....DA Di2 on my road bike and Ultegra Di2 w/ hydro disc on my cross/winter bike. Looking to go disc on the new bike....Shimano/SRAM hydro disc I'll assume are going to be comparable - apples to apples??

Never ridden a SRAM road group. Is the feel and shifting similar to Shimano or will this be a Coke vs Pepsi, Chevy vs Ford - you either like it or you don't?

.......I'm posting this as my road bike has been sitting in the garage the last three weeks trying to figure out what is wrong with my Di2 system. Plus is the system has been issue free for the past 7 years. Negative is when something goes wrong it can be a PITA figuring out the cause (OLD 7970 2x10 Di2).
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Ultegra Di2 orSram RED eTAP Blips and RED eTAP Clics [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had wondered if a new Sram blip box may appear at Eurobike. Also wondered if FSA would have an aero version of their groupset.

I can see the plus and negatives of both DI2 & etap.

Obviously the blip box is a bit of pain to hide, but otherwise looks good and you don't need a di2 compatible frame routing. The rear mech failures are a bit of a worry though. Like the idea that it maybe simpler to switch from 1x to 2x quicker depending on course. The blips for the bull horns look a bit better than the options for di2 unless you use their integrated brake levers.

DI2 has been around a while so longevity is a bit more known, but you have to work out where to put the battery and how you will configure the wiring. The smaller junction boxes can make for a very clean set up. The new 2018 mechs are meant to be more aero. I have a frame to build up over the winter and a 2nd hand DI2 groupset should be easier to get hold off otherwise the price difference isn't huge in the UK.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Ultegra Di2 orSram RED eTAP Blips and RED eTAP Clics [k89533720] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
k89533720 wrote:
If you had the choice could you justify the cost between Ultegra Di2 VS ETAP?
eTap is significantly more?
Thanks for any advice and experience

No, UDI2 is the best value on the market 100%. I have DA di2 on the road racing bike, UDI2 on the training bike, they perform identically. Going on 2.5 years, zero failures, enough said. Yes it will take an hour to setup a bike but after that you are done. Is that hour of work worth the price difference?
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Ultegra Di2 orSram RED eTAP Blips and RED eTAP Clics [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
// Also wondered if FSA would have an aero version of their groupset. //

Saw some info on the new FSA electronic groupset here:

https://cyclingtips.com/...-coverage-day-three/

Anticipated availability is second quarter 2018.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Ultegra Di2 orSram RED eTAP Blips and RED eTAP Clics [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:

Never ridden a SRAM road group. Is the feel and shifting similar to Shimano or will this be a Coke vs Pepsi, Chevy vs Ford - you either like it or you don't?

I have both and like both. Forced to choose one, I really could go either way. Nice thing about eTap is the wireless, which works out great on my Ritchey breakaway travel bike. But for racing, I would probably pick the Di2. It just seems to shift faster and more reliably. Not that eTap isn't reliable. It's just that little edge to Di2, IME.

I'll add: as far as feel, it takes me a ride on either system to get my brain switched into the different shift actions between the 2 systems, and I will press the wrong button during that first ride. After that it feels natural. Then going to the other system feels strange for a ride, then natural again. Which I find quite fascinating.
Last edited by: BrianB: Sep 6, 17 19:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went di2 for the cost savings. At my first race on this new bike, somehow an internal battery cable unplugged and bike was stuck in 53x11. This course started with an 1100' climb to 7,000' altitude and featured plenty of rollers in between. I chose not to race. After this experience I would have spent the extra money and gone eTap 1000 times over. Old bike had SRAM Red mechanical and with the exception of the shifting on the base bars and the front derailleur , SRAM was 10 times cleaner than Ultegra. I would go eTap.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Ultegra Di2 orSram RED eTAP Blips and RED eTAP Clics [playero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
playero wrote:
If icould afford and justify the prices of both then I'd go Etap! This system is only gonna get better and better and the new firmware updates keep coming in!

As far as DI2 is concerned, it has reached its potential and no further improvements will be seen in the near future even though the 9150 had great things going for itself at this moment, the limiting factor will always be the wires and the oversized battery.

At the time when I got my DI2 there were no hints of Etap so 6871 or 9071 was the way to go and i decided in the cheaper version! If I was you right now, I'd go Etap however di2 is just fine as well if you prefer to keep a few hundred bucks in your wallet, nobody will knock you for it lol

No firmware update I am aware so far, let alone keeps on coming
Quote Reply

Prev Next