Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

WHEEL SUPPORT WEIGHT
Quote | Reply
I am looking at getting a set of new wheels for my tri bike. As I am looking at the wheel specs I am noticing that with a lot of the wheels I am within about 10lbs below max recommended rider weight for the standard wheel.

With not quite being at race weight I will be about 15lbs below max recommended rider weight. Since the rear wheel I am getting is a disc I am going to assume it wont make any aero difference with going with the Clydesdale setup of extra spokes. But on the front do I need the clydesdale setup just to keep everything stiff so it doesn't flex, but might lose on the aero because of spoke count? Or would a normal wheel be just fine?
Quote Reply
Re: WHEEL SUPPORT WEIGHT [HonestYP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://flocycling.blogspot.com/...-much-drag-does.html

2 seconds in 40k, 6 seconds in IM, per Flo
Quote Reply
Re: WHEEL SUPPORT WEIGHT [Emma'sDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, Thank you for the good read!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your spoke count won't matter as much as that 15lbs mentioned. It also won't matter as much as position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HonestYP wrote:
I am looking at getting a set of new wheels for my tri bike. As I am looking at the wheel specs I am noticing that with a lot of the wheels I am within about 10lbs below max recommended rider weight for the standard wheel.

With not quite being at race weight I will be about 15lbs below max recommended rider weight. Since the rear wheel I am getting is a disc I am going to assume it wont make any aero difference with going with the Clydesdale setup of extra spokes.

Aerodynamically you'll be the exact same since the spokes are covered.

But on the front do I need the clydesdale setup just to keep everything stiff so it doesn't flex, but might lose on the aero because of spoke count?

Referring to our wheels, our standard front wheel is the exact same build as the clydesdale front wheel. So you would not be giving up any aero performance whatsoever.

For a rear wheel, if you are lose in weight or a particularly strong rider we often recommend a clydesdale build. Here's why...

The standard recommendation for a Clydesdale build has to do with weight, but the riders strength and riding style should also be considered. It’s not uncommon for us to recommend a Clydesdale build to a strong criterium rider that weighs 175lbs. Criterium races have a number of sprints and if you are continually putting 1,000+ watts into the pedals, then you may want to consider a Clydesdale build. Triathletes are much different since they typically maintain a much lower average power throughout a race without the maximum power efforts. A strong 175lbs triathlete would most likely be fine with a standard build wheel.

Most people who are contemplating the Clydesdale build, are worried about the weight penalty by sizing up to the Clydesdale build. Since only the rear wheel changes with a clydesdale build, we only see a increase of 30-40 grams for the Clydesdale build. The difference in weight will effectively make no difference.

If you are in the Clydesdale category, the benefits of sizing up will greatly outshine the 30-40 gram weight difference. Since the wheel is built for your weight/strength, power transfer is improved, cornering improves, compliance is balanced, and the service life is much better.

Or would a normal wheel be just fine?

Hopefully that helps a bit.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Last edited by: Canadian: Feb 26, 17 18:51
Quote Reply
Re: WHEEL SUPPORT WEIGHT [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris,

Thank you so much for your response. I hadn't thought about the Clydesdale build wheel for those that produce that kind of power. Makes total sense though.

Out of curiosity, why isn't your front wheel laced differently? is there not enough weight distributed to the front wheel for that to matter?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HonestYP wrote:
Chris,

Thank you so much for your response. I hadn't thought about the Clydesdale build wheel for those that produce that kind of power. Makes total sense though.

Out of curiosity, why isn't your front wheel laced differently? is there not enough weight distributed to the front wheel for that to matter?

Yes. The build we use for front wheels simply can take the 242lbs that our rear clydesdale wheel can take. Weight distribution and power transfer play a big part in that.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: WHEEL SUPPORT WEIGHT [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thumbs up! Thank you for your responses.
Quote Reply