Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wahoo Kickr/Garmin 520/Quarq questions
Quote | Reply
Searched through some old threads and can't seem to find exactly what I am looking for, or not spelled out exactly in a way that I can get results from.

First, just purchased a new wahoo kickr power smart trainer. It arrived yesterday and got set up for a test ride.
I have a quarq power meter along with a garmin 520.

My questions are what is the best setup combination? Can I run all in concert together? If so, do I need additional components for ANT+ capability? If I run bluetooth on the trainer how would the rest of this be setup or should it (or does it have to?) be setup differently.

I have downloaded trainer road for use on my IOS systems and actually utilized Zwift last night as a trial.

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr/Garmin 520/Quarq questions [dandr614] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disclaimer - i don't use IOS. Instead I use windows and PerfPro Studios. But hopefully this works for you:

1. Use TrainerRoad or Zwift (not both) - connect Kickr via BT if able. Otherwise, use Ant+.
2. connect quarq via ant+. You may need to use the ant+ dongle that came with your power meter.
3. Use "PowerMatch" or similiar feature, which essentially uses quarq data to control your Kickr resistance. The name of the feature may vary slightly depending on service but that is what you want. This assumes you trust your quarq PM data more than the kickr PM data. Though for me personally, I like consistency so since I train outdoors with my Vectors, I want to use Vector PM indoor as well.
4. connect any other sensors you need. HR, etc.
5. Have fun.

You'll notice I don't include the 520 in there. The 520 is not part of the ideal set-up since as long as you are using TrainerRoad or Zwift or another software program it is mostly useless, though perhaps it might give you some data points you like such as 10s average power. if you really want, sync your quarq power meter to the edge 520. Don't bother with the kickr since if you are using the PowerMatch feature then it is the quarq data that you're really interested in.

Also note the Kickr can do BT or Ant+ simultaneously. So it doesn't really matter which way you connect to it. Just don't try to set it up to TrainerRoad and Zwift at the same time trying to control it.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr/Garmin 520/Quarq questions [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racehd wrote:
Disclaimer - i don't use IOS. Instead I use windows and PerfPro Studios. But hopefully this works for you:

1. Use TrainerRoad or Zwift (not both) - connect Kickr via BT if able. Otherwise, use Ant+.
2. connect quarq via ant+. You may need to use the ant+ dongle that came with your power meter.
3. Use "PowerMatch" or similiar feature, which essentially uses quarq data to control your Kickr resistance. The name of the feature may vary slightly depending on service but that is what you want. This assumes you trust your quarq PM data more than the kickr PM data. Though for me personally, I like consistency so since I train outdoors with my Vectors, I want to use Vector PM indoor as well.
4. connect any other sensors you need. HR, etc.
5. Have fun.

You'll notice I don't include the 520 in there. The 520 is not part of the ideal set-up since as long as you are using TrainerRoad or Zwift or another software program it is mostly useless, though perhaps it might give you some data points you like such as 10s average power. if you really want, sync your quarq power meter to the edge 520. Don't bother with the kickr since if you are using the PowerMatch feature then it is the quarq data that you're really interested in.

Also note the Kickr can do BT or Ant+ simultaneously. So it doesn't really matter which way you connect to it. Just don't try to set it up to TrainerRoad and Zwift at the same time trying to control it.

Good luck!

Appreciate the information. I will probably need to get a dongle since I purchased the bike used and it came with the quarq.
Was really only mentioning the 520 because I have it and my power and heart rate are all set up on that currently. I see at trainer road I should be able to get my garmin heart rate directly to trainer road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Currently, Zwift won't read a HRM or speed sensor broadcasting Ant+ only on IOS devices. It's annoying since my Garmin HRM and speed sensor broadcast Ant+ but not Bluetooth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recommend you run a single ride registering your quarq & kickr2 separately after calibration/spindown...then look at the variance between the 2. I would estimate that you will see such a small variance, the need for power sync won't be necessary. I find the power sync is a great feature but there is a slight delay (and I mean slight) delay...

I run, the majority of the time, the Kickr2 on its own with TR for iOS. I'm actually just testing the Android and Triplans with TR now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racehd wrote:

I believe the 520 is part of the ideal setup if you want your data to automatically upload to Connect. Agree that only the Quarq should be paired to the 520.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out of curiosity, why connect the kicker via Bluetooth instead of ant+? I have a similar set up as the OP but use ant+ for the kickr. Do you get a better response from the kickr via Bluetooth than ant+?

Please tell me yes and I'll buy a Bluetooth dongle for my PC in an instant. Getting sick of the kickr and TR hunting using powermatch and being out of sync by 10 - 20 watts.

*Edit* Any recommendations on a Bluetooth dongle?
Last edited by: triharder81: Feb 24, 17 16:49
Quote Reply