Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

winter bibtights: with or without chamois?
Quote | Reply
looking at protecting my rump this winter with some winter/windblock bibtights. these boston winters are starting to kick in and the shorts/leg warmer combo are no longer cutting it.

i've read that the best set up is a pair of chamois-less bibtights pulled over your normal shorts... is this true? seems that wearing two bibs would be uncomfortable on the upper body.

any recommendations on set up (and brand of bibtight) would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: winter bibtights: with or without chamois? [redlab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i've read that the best set up is a pair of chamois-less bibtights pulled over your normal shorts... is this true?

=================================================

Absolutely, and absolutely the best around are Assos Airblock bib tights. These little babies are up to the usual Assos standard of fit and materials also the front of them is made out of Windblocker material which makes cycling in sub zero temperatures no problem.

10/10.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The chamois-less over a pair of regular shorts works well for California coastal winter rides because you may end up riding in warm (relatively) weather after a frosty morning start. It's not uncommon out here to start peeling layers on a January ride and end up putting them back on if you stay out all day.

Boston, however, I'm guessing the tights stay on all day.

I own both but the chamois-less get more use (as do the leg warmers) out West I'm guessing.

My vote is for chamois-less as a cost saver and versatility benefit.

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a pair of thermal bib tights with chamois that I love. I prefer that over wearing two layers.

I race duathlons and like it.
Last edited by: A-Train: Nov 19, 05 7:10
Quote Reply
Re: winter bibtights: with or without chamois? [JulianInEngland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to be a member of the school of thought that felt insulated bibs without a chamois were the way to go. My reasoning went like this:

You already own good quality shorts to the tune of $60-$??. If you buy insulated bibs without the chamois they are usually about the cost of the chamois less expensive, say, $20-60 less depending on brand. If you already own the padding in the form of a pair of shorts, why buy it again?

Also, from a laundry/logistics standpoint: You can wear the bibs over a fresh, clean pair of shorts for a couple days before having to launder them since you generally don't get too gross riding easy in the winter. That means you don't have to wash the bibs every tme, just the shorts.

However, recently I have switched to bibs with a chamois in them. This is strictly out of convenience. You simply have to don less layers. If I play may cards right, even on a cold morning I only have to put on three main garments: Heavy, windstopper style bib w/chamois; Heavy, windstopper style jacket; wixking base layer. Add windstopper socks, a helmet liner beanie, good gloves and shoe covers and you are done. Another thing that annoyed me about bibs over shorts was that after you put the shorts on- you pull the legs of the bibs up and it causes the shorts to roll up inside the bibs. You have to pull some kind of weird move to get the shorts leg rolled back down again inside the bibs. Annoying. Also- if you wear bib shorts and bib tights you have a lot of suspenders on- that's a little uncomfortable.

Anyway, two schools of thought....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: winter bibtights: with or without chamois? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, from a laundry/logistics standpoint: You can wear the bibs over a fresh, clean pair of shorts for a couple days before having to launder them since you generally don't get too gross riding easy in the winter. That means you don't have to wash the bibs every tme, just the shorts.

Also- if you wear bib shorts and bib tights you have a lot of suspenders on- that's a little uncomfortable.

==============================

This time of year (this morning's ride was a crisp -4) I find the fact that I am wearing two layers on my lower body a positive. I agree about the logistics of wearing the tights acoupl of times with different shorts to be true also. I got my airblock tights as part of a settlement after I got knocked off my bike, I am not sure if Assos do airblock tights with a chamois insert and is they did I am not sure it would be enough to make me buy them, I like less bulky chamois.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another nice thing about having tights w/o a chamois is that they are a lot more versatile - use them for running, XC skiing, wear them under your clothes for spectating, etc. I HATE wearing a chamois when I'm not perched on a bicycle.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply