Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cool weekend project
Quote | Reply
Other nerds will appreciate this. Take the following things and add them together:

Cateye wireless cadence/speed computer
+ Kinetic fluid trainer
+ a homemade receiver for the wireless signal from the Cateye
+ a homemade decoder for that same signal
+ a chip programmed with the power curve formula for the trainer
+ an old flop circuit and LCD readout
= a wireless power meter for my trainer

When it's built, pics will be posted.
Quote Reply
Re: Cool weekend project [astrotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
isn't there error in the power calculation based on the tire-trainer interface? how do you plan to calibrate the system?

overall, sounds really cool! i'm impressed, man. god, i'm (we're) lame...

http://www.theninjadon.blogspot.com

"The bicycle riders drank much wine, and were burned and browned by the sun. They did not take the race seriously except among themselves." -- Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I must be a nerd because I think this is cool!

How did you get the powercurve onboard a chip? Is it an Altera type of device?

Any idea how accurate this will be? My guess is it will get you to +/- 15% maybe. Depends on how you derived the power data I guess. If you could calibrate it you would be set.

Keep us posted.

-------
Andrew

"When will i learn, people do not want to hurt but will spend $500.00 bucks to go four seconds faster." - randall t
Quote Reply
Re: Cool weekend project [zoomy3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm basically building a wireless version of what Kurt sells as a power meter for their fluid trainer. They have the power formula fit for their trainers posted on the website. The chip is a standard programmable computation chip from a company like Altera. The place I work has them lying around in the machine shop, so I swipped one with the foreman's permission.

I figure the best this thing can do is measure to within 10% of actual power. The largest errors introduced into the calculation come from the cubic term in P=Ax+Bx^3, so one is safe in ignoring any other sources of error.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might consider a submitting this to Make Magazine [1] -- The first magazine devoted to digital projects. You'll be famous!! ;-)

[1] http://www.makezine.com/.
Quote Reply