Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What's the best TT mechanical setup?
Quote | Reply
If you would build a mechanical TT bike what would be the best component choice. Not 1x.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the best TT mechanical setup? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dura-Ace 9000 or maybe the new 9100.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe SRAM Red. I like their Yaw FD and RTC shifters.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the best TT mechanical setup? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^ This is my set up, 10 speed, I previously used Dura Ace. I have been very happy with SRAM Red.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like SRAM Red.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
If you would build a mechanical TT bike what would be the best component choice. Not 1x.

If you have rear facing dropouts on your TT bike, I would suggest anything Shimano over SRAM. The Shimano rear derailleurs are much easier to manipulate out of the way during wheel changes.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's your budget?
Quote Reply
Re: What's the best TT mechanical setup? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's a reasonable amount to spend on a good mechanical setup?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best value is Ultegra 6800.
Quote Reply
Re: What's the best TT mechanical setup? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
If you have rear facing dropouts on your TT bike, I would suggest anything Shimano over SRAM. The Shimano rear derailleurs are much easier to manipulate out of the way during wheel changes.
Wow, that is saying a lot. I think getting the wheel out with my rear dropouts from my Shimano RD sucks. I cannot imagine worse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Wow, that is saying a lot. I think getting the wheel out with my rear dropouts from my Shimano RD sucks. I cannot imagine worse.

There's a technique you can learn where with your right hand you push the pulley cage forward and the derailleur body in and then the skewer nut will clear easily. Once practiced, you can do wheel swaps quickly and chain grease free :-)

Due to the geometry of the SRAM derailleurs, IME they don't create enough room for this technique.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
There's a technique you can learn where with your right hand you push the pulley cage forward and the derailleur body in and then the skewer nut will clear easily. Once practiced, you can do wheel swaps quickly and chain grease free :-)
I need to find and master this technique. I had to do it today for a ride, and I was a total grease bomb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
What's a reasonable amount to spend on a good mechanical setup?
This all depends on how much you want to spend, how patient you are, and the products that have captivated your lust. I just did a mini mech upgrade on my bike. I spent $20 on the FD, $40 on the RD, $32 on a Dura Ace chain, $60 on Dura Ace bar-end shifters, and $200 on a splurge SRAM Red 22 crank. I already had an Ultegra cassette that I think I bought for $75. I probably could have done better. So, that is one ballpark.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ultegra 6800 cassettes can usually be purchased for around $55.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The current price for a new Ultegra 6800 group with Dura-Ace bar-end shifters is $508 with free shipping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
I need to find and master this technique. I had to do it today for a ride, and I was a total grease bomb.

Here's one example:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This video is amazing. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may be my second hero today. I will study this video and master it.

My first hero today is the guy with the chain tool out in the middle of nowhere. I had my first chain break in my life, and I think I was 10 miles from cell coverage and the nearest public road. But, a guy had a chain tool, and it rescued me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: jeffp: Feb 19, 17 19:35
Quote Reply