Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Options for Tubeless, Carbon, External Nipple Rims?
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

Looking to crowdsource a question here. What options exist for a 700c road wheel (or rim) with the following characteristics:

1. Carbon rim
  2. Rim brake
  3. Tubeless compatible
  4. external spoke nipples

Based on my own knowledge and searching, it looks like the following wheels/rims fit that description:

• Flo Cycling carbon clincher line
  • Boyd Cycling clinchers

Anybody know of other brands/options? I'm looking into building or buying a pair of aero wheels for my road bike. I switched over to road tubeless about a year ago when I built up the wheels that are on it now (Hed Belgium + laced 24/28 to CK R45 hubs) and don't want to go back to running tubes. At the same time, I'd like to have external spoke nipples for ease of maintenance given that I'd have to rip up the tubeless tape from the rim to true the wheel on an internal nipple rim.

Thanks in advance for your input and collective wisdom!

-Ben
Quote Reply
Re: Options for Tubeless, Carbon, External Nipple Rims? [Ben R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ben,

Do you have a depth or width you are specifically looking for?
Quote Reply
Re: Options for Tubeless, Carbon, External Nipple Rims? [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not dead set on a particular width or depth. More surveying the options. That said, given that these will ultimately end up on my road bike, a depth in the range of 45mm-60mm and an internal rim width of 20mm +/- 2mm is probably the general range.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bontrager Aeolus 5 TLR, Easton EC90 Aero 55 and the Roval CLX 50 are all tubeless compatible with external rim nipples. They are all the fastest wheels in the world too, how convenient?

I sold my full carbons because I was so tired of horrible braking and swapping pads, but the wheels I'm on now don't meet your external nipple criteria. After seeing a 32.5mm aluminum rim (meeting your other 3 specs and close to your dimension wants) look pretty good in a 3rd party tunnel test, I think they could be replacing the Ksyriums on my road bike. That's a pretty nice option for 1/2 to 1/3 of the price of the wheels above at very similar or lighter weight. The black ceramic coating gives it a nice look as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a look at Nox Composites (http://www.noxcomposites.com/). They have two road rims, the 36D and the 36R (Disc and Rim, 36mm deep. Inventive naming convention, huh?).

I can't speak to those rims specifically, but I have two of their wheelsets (27.5 all mountain rims on my hardtail, and their 29er lightweight racing rims as my CX race wheels) and I am very happy with them. It helps that my shop has a realationship with them and I got good deals.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just bought some rims from Nextie that fit that description. Hoping to have them in the next few days.
Quote Reply