Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp hub safety recall issues
Quote | Reply
I was a bit late in getting my wheels affected by the Zipp 88 hub safety recall sorted but handed them over to a bike shop in Sweden this week to get it done. A day later I get a call saying they'll charge 50€ per wheel for the admin since they weren't bought there. Because they're nice they'll however do two wheels for the price of one for me.. Since this is officially supposed to be a safety recall for any Zipp wheel affected regardless of who was the original owner and where it was bought from, with no cost to the consumer since the dealer gets compensated for the admin by Zipp/Sram, I wasn't ok with it of course. I understand the problems for bike shops with internet sales etc but this is a bit different with a safety recall and surely every dealer must know the terms of Zipp/Sram warranty/recalls when they sign the dealer agreement.

The Scandinavian distributor called them but they wouldn't budge with the charge. Distributor sorted it another way in the end so I was reasonably happy but it does seem like a faulty system when this could happen in a situation where peoples safety are at risk. I guess it kind of irks me both that the bike shop was willing to squeeze money out of a safety issue and that the distributor didn't push them harder on the matter. In the end someone buying wheels second hand or someone moving countries could be shit out of luck and in this case be riding dangerous wheels through no fault of their own if the safety recall system doesn't work(I'd rather have sent the wheels in myself to start with but wasn't allowed to).

Curious if anyone else had issues?

BA coaching http://www.bjornandersson.se
Last edited by: bjorn: Feb 14, 17 4:16
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp hub safety recall issues [bjorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have not had this issue (don't own any Zipp wheels), but I completely agree. If recalls work like what you have experienced a lot of people will simply not get the faulty product corrected and this is exactly what a recall has to make sure happens. Just look at to what lengths Samsung went to get all their faulty phones back - offering perks and basically make the phones still out there unusable.
Quote Reply