Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How Long to Resume Training After Food Poisoning?
Quote | Reply
Woke up this morning with a case of food poisoning. It really knocked me on my ass as I've barely been able to move about the house. I skipped today's workouts and Monday is usually a rest day for me. Get back at it Tuesday?
Quote Reply
Re: How Long to Resume Training After Food Poisoning? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe. Food takes a solid 24 hours to flush through. Faster if you have both ends flowing. But then you will be weak in the second day.
Quote Reply
Re: How Long to Resume Training After Food Poisoning? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Woke up this morning with a case of food poisoning. It really knocked me on my ass as I've barely been able to move about the house. I skipped today's workouts and Monday is usually a rest day for me. Get back at it Tuesday?

by chance im suffering this now. friday night vomiting. next late morning struggle of a 2 mile jog.. normally 12mi hard tempo. road 8 miles on and off to get fresh air - otherwise bed ridden all day. weak as hell cause i had no fuel in system. day 2, pacer for a 10k. felt better, but was worried i couldnt hold the pace. easy 3 jog, 10k paced fine, 3 jog cool down. all day i had to force myself to eat. food had no taste for me. and i love food :( . i am down 5lb too in danger zone ,,, so no intense workouts
Last edited by: synthetic: Feb 12, 17 17:35
Quote Reply
Re: How Long to Resume Training After Food Poisoning? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You sir are a beast. I was proud of myself for walking laps up and down my street.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man I had food poisoning last year and I think it took me a week to get back to normal. My big issue was I didn't really eat for 3 days then little bits a few more days. I couldn't keep anything down during that time either. So I was weak but tried light workouts when I was eatin again.

Sadly just getting over the flu now and starts Tuesday and just got back to easy riding/running yesterday. Being sick sucks!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It just depends on the severity. When you feel up to it, you're ready.

The CDC estimates that people in the US are sick from food poisoning on average 4 times a year. Think about that. There is no 24 hour flu. That's food poisoning. How bad for how long just depends. (Influenza itself is beyond comparison. With luck you'll only lose a few days to fever. In the US the flu takes 3,300 - 49,000 lives annually, depending, compared to under 1,000 annual cycling deaths. Get a flu shot.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
You sir are a beast. I was proud of myself for walking laps up and down my street.

day 3. after yesterday thought i was improving. not so much. struggled to get 5mi jog in. food still tastes bland to me, still no desire to eat
Quote Reply
Re: How Long to Resume Training After Food Poisoning? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably not food poisoning if it lasted this long. I had a case of norovirus two weeks back. Knocked me on my ass for four full days. Took two days to settle back in, then I was back at full capacity within seven. Didn't lose any fitness.

Take it as it comes. Stuff like this sucks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually just play it by feel. I start with something easy on the first day back. If it goes well, I complete the easy workout. If it does not go well then I stop early and rest more. Next day I'll repeat or increase intensity a bit and so on.

Make sure you're drinking plenty of fluids so you're not dehydrated and try to get some food down if you can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

Take it day-by-day. There is absolutely no need to rush it. Rushing it will do more harm than good.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What you have is most likely norovirus. I've had it twice. One time took about two days before I started feeling better and the other time took about 8 hours. You should be able to start training again once you're confident you can run without shitting your pants.
Quote Reply
Re: How Long to Resume Training After Food Poisoning? [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supersquid wrote:
What you have is most likely norovirus. I've had it twice. One time took about two days before I started feeling better and the other time took about 8 hours. You should be able to start training again once you're confident you can run without shitting your pants.

Greenplease. Are you sure it is food poisoning (other people who ate the same food falling sick at the same time) or is this more likely Norovirus as SS says?

Food poisoning - Be cautious. Like the others don't go back to training until you have significantly rehydrated and have been able to process some solid food (in short have you made a normal poo yet?). Its food bacteria doing the damage here and so until the body has flushed them out you will continue being sick. So eating too soon is counter productive.

Noroviurs - Classic winter vomiting disease (also called the 24hour flu). No solids until vomiting has stopped for 12 hours. Return to modified workouts after 48 hours of end of sickness. It's viral so the easiest to get back to normal after but some (few) people have symptoms last longer.

Flu - Take all the time off the body needs.
Quote Reply
Re: How Long to Resume Training After Food Poisoning? [Impulse-Warp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might be noroviurs considering that nobody else got sick. It's early in the season so there's no real harm in missing a day or two of workouts. On a somewhat positive note... I guess this is one way to get closer to race weight?
Quote Reply