Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lighter folks - stand or sit on the trainer?
Quote | Reply
64 kg climby type here. I find that when I'm indoors on my static trainer I end up standing A LOT, especially as I am on the trainer for longer and/or am putting out more wattage. For example, outdoors I can do a 2x20 @ 95% ftp fairly normally (i.e. mostly seated) but on the trainer, it is not uncommon for me to spend almost the entire second interval standing. Anyone else have this experience?
Quote Reply
Re: Lighter folks - stand or sit on the trainer? [johnj121591] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll stand for a minute every 20ish minutes so my nuts don't get too numb, but other than that, nope.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnj121591 wrote:
64 kg climby type here. I find that when I'm indoors on my static trainer I end up standing A LOT, especially as I am on the trainer for longer and/or am putting out more wattage. For example, outdoors I can do a 2x20 @ 95% ftp fairly normally (i.e. mostly seated) but on the trainer, it is not uncommon for me to spend almost the entire second interval standing. Anyone else have this experience?

I usually sit for 12-13 mins of the first one, the time to standing decreases from there. By the end of the 2nd one I usually get up for 15 seconds every 3 minutes or so. But like poster above says this is just because my butt starts to hurt and I get a ton of heat build up in the crotch and try to get some air flow in there.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 63kg, not sure if that matters....but when I do any type of trainer workout I'll stand every 5min. for better blood flow. If I'm doing an FTP or SS effort, my standing portion will only be about 15 to 30sec. For an easy endurance type ride, I'll stand for 1min. every 5min.

I'm in the same boat as pretty much everyone here so far: after the first 30 minutes on the trainer I have to get out of the saddle for ~20 seconds every ~5 minutes for comfort purposes. Out on the road I can hold the same position for... a couple of hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you mean "stand" as completely out of the saddle, like you're climbing? Or just up with hands on base/aero pads?

I'm at 70 kg-5'11"--I get up and out of the saddle for 5-15s every 10 minutes or so on my longer rides (2-3+hrs). More of a mental thing, but helps with blood flow and feels great for my back.

I broke my collarbone in late August and bought myself a Tacx Neo knowing how much indoor riding I had ahead of me...5.5 months later, I have put 3,200 virtual Miles (Zwift) on the trainer. The Neo allows for a gentle "sway" that feels so natural and is very comfortable, so I am getting out of the saddle less than when I was on my Fluid2.
Last edited by: TriowaCPA: Feb 11, 17 6:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By standing you totally change the effort.
Standing does not require hip extension in the same way.
Why does this matter you ask?
Because if you stand for long periods of time your frontal area goes up in a big way.
That means it requires more power to hold the same speed as compared to sitting.
This only becomes a non factor on a grade that reduces speed to about 8 mph.
So you are better of teaching yourself to sit. Take small breaks every 5 minutes to get the weight off your ass- but don't stand in order to keep the power high.
This will pay off back out on the road.
Quote Reply