Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Your Experience with PRP Injections and Plantar Fasciosis
Quote | Reply
I'm about 18 weeks off running due to an angry plantar fascia. Rest is working, but at a painstakingly slow pace. In a cruel twist of fate, I'm on the roster for Norseman in August and therefore highly motivated to get back on the road again.

Saw a reputable doc today, processed some imaging and walked out with a diagnosis of plantar fasciosis. Doc says PRP injections are the best bet.

Talk to me about your experience with PRP injections and plantar fasciosis. What do I need to know? Should I do it? What would you do?

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Your Experience with PRP Injections and Plantar Fasciosis [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never had it for PF, but did get it for Achilles Tendinosis. Got me 75-80% of the way back I'd say.....unfortunately, had a complication in my recovery (unrelated to my PRP treatment) which prevented me from following the rehab protocol 100% so don't know if the treatment would have gotten me back to 100% or if another round would have been needed.

Have not really heard anything about it being used for PF, but the treatment is safe and relatively risk-free. You are just injecting "you" into you, so adverse side effects are limited to (very low) risk of infection at injection sites, etc.

Overall, I would say the efficacy of the treatment is very split....some report great success, some report no benefit. Seems to be very individual. I am assuming you have tried all other remedies such as foot strenghtening, eccentric calf drops / rises, etc?

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Your Experience with PRP Injections and Plantar Fasciosis [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No insight on PRP, but have you considered shockwave therapy? It's the same thing they use to break up kidney stones. I haven't seen any data on it, but Ryan Hall used it during his PF flareup years ago and claims it helped him. I'm doing some now - painful as hell, but foot does feel significantly better after each treatment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
I'm about 18 weeks off running due to an angry plantar fascia. Rest is working, but at a painstakingly slow pace. In a cruel twist of fate, I'm on the roster for Norseman in August and therefore highly motivated to get back on the road again.

Saw a reputable doc today, processed some imaging and walked out with a diagnosis of plantar fasciosis. Doc says PRP injections are the best bet.

Talk to me about your experience with PRP injections and plantar fasciosis. What do I need to know? Should I do it? What would you do?

Scott

Look into EPAT for PF. It 100% cured my PF and Achilles Tendon injuries. EPAT is also what the previous poster (shockwave) was most likely posting about. Usually not covered by insurance, but also not very expensive.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Your Experience with PRP Injections and Plantar Fasciosis [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes! EPAT = shockwave. Sounds like there are a lot of success stories out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had PRP for PF about 4 years ago and would highly recommend it. Tried everything for 2 years and couldn't get rid of the PF pain, since PRP haven't had any issues. It was about a week of low activity and my foot was pretty swollen. I was able to swim though. Once the initial swelling went away, I have had no pain. PRP was super easy and slightly uncomfortable just during the injection.
Quote Reply
Re: Your Experience with PRP Injections and Plantar Fasciosis [ChristinaA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PF can be easily cured with the 'soccer calf stretch' and is likey caused by use of very minimal shoes introduced too quickly . so no need for injections.

- your favorite over injured athlete -
Last edited by: synthetic: Feb 10, 17 7:43
Quote Reply
Re: Your Experience with PRP Injections and Plantar Fasciosis [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
PF can be easily cured with the 'soccer calf stretch' and is likey caused by use of very minimal shoes introduced too quickly . so no need for injections.

- your favorite over injured athlete -

x2. As soon as I stopped wearing shoes with little to no padding support (mainly "boat type" shoes) and starting putting some type of sole insert in my shoes, my problems disappeared.
Quote Reply
Re: Your Experience with PRP Injections and Plantar Fasciosis [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Overall, I would say the efficacy of the treatment is very split....some report great success, some report no benefit. Seems to be very individual. I am assuming you have tried all other remedies such as foot strenghtening, eccentric calf drops / rises, etc?

Thanks for chiming in! I've experienced improvement from the conventional treatments, including footwear and orthotics, rest, ART, ankle manipulations, taping the foot, taping the ankle, PF socks, rolling, calf stretches, calf strengthening and so on. However, I can feel the clock ticking as each day passes in 2017 without my run. My local A Team has thrown it all at this and recommends PRP as the next step.

Yesterday's doc was confident I'm a good candidate. An ultrasound of the foot showed moderate degeneration of my plantar fascia. If I recall correctly, the diameter increased from approximately 3mm to 6mm as the plantar fascia approached the tender spot where it connects to my heel. He described it as a "frayed rope", with layers of striations across that same connection point, and a little bone spur forming as a result of the tension. He felt that type of degeneration won't go away with time and PT (as might be the case with just inflammation).

Edit: added footwear to the list of things I've considered

Scott
Last edited by: GreatScott: Feb 10, 17 8:21
Quote Reply
Re: Your Experience with PRP Injections and Plantar Fasciosis [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^^^^ See above ^^^^^
Quote Reply
Re: Your Experience with PRP Injections and Plantar Fasciosis [ChristinaA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChristinaA wrote:
I had PRP for PF about 4 years ago and would highly recommend it. Tried everything for 2 years and couldn't get rid of the PF pain, since PRP haven't had any issues. It was about a week of low activity and my foot was pretty swollen. I was able to swim though. Once the initial swelling went away, I have had no pain. PRP was super easy and slightly uncomfortable just during the injection.

Well, I hope to join your club!

I'm glad to see you were able to swim right away. The thought of backing off my swim and bike was upsetting. Doc said he would endorse swimming with a pull buoy during week 1 and easy cycling on the trainer in week 2. Gravity assisted running and PT would come later, with a total recovery duration of 12 weeks.

Tell me more about those first two weeks. Do you recall how the treatment affected your swim and bike training?

Scott
Quote Reply