Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Improving IM Run Time [Bones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From your results the proof is in the pudding. You are probably a very good runner naturally and could go a lot faster with increased pace and milage.

For most runners I know if they train at 8min/mile they will typically run their ironman at a 9-10 min/mile pace.
Quote Reply
Re: Improving IM Run Time [jsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Everyone's different." That is the bottom line, and the same training each yr. will not produce the same results. IM training means to run, ride and swim lots and lots. My comment is, IMFL is FLAT FLAT FLAT, so w/ the suggestions of solid endurance running days on a hilly course, 3-7 mile tempo days (which are key) and brick days, you will improve your time. Weekly run miles of 30-45 should do the trick. Keep your cycle miles up, but balance your riding w/ the change in your run training and you will rock. Sometimes less is more. Anything is realistic if you set your mind to it. OH, and run w/ runners who are faster than you once to twice a week. I ran 20 mins. slower than my stand alone marathon PR at the 1999 IMFL, and it was my first IM. Best of luck and happy tri training to you! Eat to run, and be patient in the beginning. Never quit, and the last 10K is ALL in your head.

Every course is different too. Throw in hills and wind into the mix, and you never know how things will turn out on the run.

As far as riding more, I think riding 5 double centuries in the spring is good preparation for the Silverman course in Lake Mead. The Silverman RUN is like no other. I encourage all those looking to challenge yourself to the next level, then cash in your chips, and travel to Vegas to race in HENDERSON, NV. next yr.

Keep the rubber side down.
Quote Reply
Re: Improving IM Run Time [slick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point abot the run pace. Bottom line if 3:30 is your IM marathon run goal 8:00 min/miles needs to be your run all day pace. I have found a strong correlation between the pace at wich one runs THE most miles at over a long period of time and ones' IM marathon best case race pace. ie if you historically have put in a huge number of 8:00 min/miles and can run that pace in your sleep and all day long regardless of leg fatigue and how you feel, that's going to be your bast case IM race pace. Not sure if 9 months is enough of a long time for this. I was thinking more interms of years.

Some more points:

1. Depending on ones background it may be about more cycling or it may be about more running.

2. Whatever the case increases in volume for both will be beneficial.

3. Run and ride in hilly terrain ALL the time. Specifically running. Can't stress this enough. Always be looking for hills to run up and down.

4. Fitness is one thing but race day pacing is just as critical. Suggest NOT logging onto Slowtwitch with in a month of IMC due to all the talk/chatter/hype here about the bike and hammering. This is a 112 mile bike ride NOT at 20 K ITT. If the IM bike ride feels anything more challenging than a moderatly hard training ride, you are going to hard!

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in your camp too. I had my best IM run split at CDA this year (3:47) and never ran one single training mile faster than 9 min/mile (not counting the other races I did). I've been injury prone due to running 'fast' so I focused on consistency and frequency....running up to 7 times per week. This helped me a lot. Granted, to improve on this I will eventually need to increase my running pace in training but I'm pretty happy with where I'm at now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned anything about brick workouts. Last year training for IM CDA I usually did a 40-60 min run (8 min/mile) after my long bike ride (100miles). This year I think I'm going to alternate my brick workouts a bit and do 70-80 miles hard rides followed by 60-90 minute runs (7:30/ mile) one week and then the next week do what I did last year. The multisports.com crew said you should never do longer than a 60 min. run during a brick. They might be right, but I'm going to do the longer brick runs anyway. During the IM CDA race last year, I just felt like my legs had never felt that kind of fatigue before, and I'm hoping longer brick runs will prepare me better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anybody have any experience with doing a marathon in the off-season. I'm training for the OC marathon in early January and then planning on doing IM CDA in June. I would like to do a 3:05-3:10 marathon at OC but now I'm starting to reconsider because I've seen a few threads by guys who did marathons (and ran hard) in the off-season and they were injured or had crappy results during the tri-season. I'm also planning on doing Ralph's and Honu prior to CDA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goodness gracious, this question/query gets put forward a lot.

1. If you MUST run a marathon or there is a burning NEED to run a marathon then run one. However, do not look for that marathon run/race to have a direct positive impact on your triathlon performance with in that year. It will most likley have a negative impact on what your triathlon performance may have been.

2. The better approach is to do a running camp or block and take 1 - 3 months and just run. Get out as much as you can and just run. Don't worry about pace. Don't worry about heart rate. Just embrace running. First increase weekly frequency( days running/week) and then slowly increase volume. Focus on running an absolute best time for the 10K or the 1/2 marathon. This approach will have a positive impact on your running WITHIN the year and for years to come.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What Fleck said. Especially if you have important races in March.

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done IM CDA the last two years and I improved my run by :25! I accomplished this by doing several things: 1) staying more hydrated on the bike 2) riding more conservative the 1st loop 3) using endurolytes on the bike 4) not walking due to cramping at mile 6, 14, 18 5) working into the run and not trying to run 7s off the bike.

Here are my approx. splits: Swim 27/27, bike 2:48/2:55, run 1:50/1:45 =10:20

I raced the way I trained with a very cosistant pace controlling my HR. I neg. split the run because I went out slow and stayed hydrated. The year before my run was like 1:40/2:15! I know the swim and run are my strengths, so I don't try to kill myself on the bike. However, before my next IM I realized I've got to get better on the bike if I ever want to qualify!

Suggestions:Brick workouts, LSD runs, Training HR, Training the way you plan to race!

Good luck!

Enjoy the journey!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just finished Ken Mierke's book on Evolution running for triathletes. I thought it was very informative. We'll see if it pans out.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next