Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Masters Swimming
Quote | Reply
How much do people pay to do masters practices? Do you feel it's worth it?
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Swimming [GwennyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GwennyPants wrote:
How much do people pay to do masters practices? Do you feel it's worth it?

It varies. Usually around $5 plus pool entry and whether it's worth it or not depends on the quality of the coach. Plenty of whiteboard coaches out there, who just give you the set, shout out every now and again, but do zilch for addressing the issues with your technique.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I pay 415 dollars for the year. This gives me access to two practices a week from sept to early may. So potentially 70 practices. If I went to all of them that would be about 6 dollars a practice. However I usually get to about 6 a month so I pretty well come even with our drop in rate of 8 dollars I think. But I only have to pay once so I avoid the hassle. The other thing is our masters group is small and needs every dollar it can get to be viable so I figure it is a good investment in keeping our group going. I figure our masters workouts are totally worth it. The people in my lane and the lane beside me have become good friends and I find it difficult to swim more than about 2 km in a pool without company. It has become as much a social outing as a workout. We lost our coach from last year and now have a new one. Our old coach did some valuable stroke correction stuff with me. However he had some definite ideas about swimming which conflicted with my natural swimming style so sometimes we would butt heads a bit. It may depend what your needs are. If you need instruction some groups have that. Other groups are more for experienced swimmers to be challenged to swim in a group. Some are quite social. I would say give it a try for a few months and see what you think.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At my pool, practicing with the masters is free to any member of the Y (over 18). All our coaches volunteer their time, and the Y is happy to provide us with lanes for practice time - especially since it has lead to increased overall membership and pool usage rates.

In summary - yes it is worth it.

Side note - our workout group doesn't require that swimmers are members of USMS, but most if not all of us are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I pay $50/mo.

For that, I have access to 5/wk AM coached sessions. We also have 3X/wk lunch sessions....and next week start evening sessions at a yet undisclosed frequency.

Darn right it's worth it (what I pay).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My team is about $300 a year for gym members and $700 for non-gym members. Plus, we all pay our $50 to USMS. We have access to 22 swim practices per week and additional open water swims during the summer. The team also hosts events such as the 100X100 and postal swim. The workout type varies per day - Monday is technique, Tuesday is distance, Wednesday is sprint, etc. All practices are coached by experienced coaches on the deck who run/manage the practice and offer individual feedback. For me, its totally worth it. I swim way faster when I am in a group. Plus it helps me having a set time to swim each week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I pay $35 a month and that gets me access to a pool with a lifeguard 5-7am on M-W-F. There is no coaching and it's all BYOW (Bring Your Own Workout).
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Swimming [trislayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trislayer wrote:
At my pool, practicing with the masters is free to any member of the Y (over 18). All our coaches volunteer their time, and the Y is happy to provide us with lanes for practice time - especially since it has lead to increased overall membership and pool usage rates.

In summary - yes it is worth it.

Side note - our workout group doesn't require that swimmers are members of USMS, but most if not all of us are.

Same at our YMCA in Encinitas CA. masters free w Membership, which is about $50/mo for one adult. Always coach on deck explaining workout and giving stroke tips, etc. Very worth it.
What is your local Masters swim scene, Gwenny Pants?

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two programs local to me are $65/month for 11 coached workouts a week and $80/month for 30 coached workouts a week at a few facilities - far enough apart they are almost like separate clubs. Some discounts for registering quarterly or annually.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I coach Masters for a branch at the local Y and it is $25 a month plus gym membership for four practices weekly. This also allows the member to practice at other local Y branches as well.

futrmultisports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
99 per month. Access to 60 practices a week at 10 different pools. Some practices are smaller and more individualized and some large groups.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$5/class @ 45 mins and $8/class @ 75 mins

Those prices are if you make every practice during the semester.

The coaching varies but overall there are not many stroke correction comments. I really dislike this.

I really like having set times during the week, swimming with others, and having a set workout to complete.

Masters is definitely worth it to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I pay $480 Canadian for 3, 1 hour sessions per week. Monday/Wednesday/Friday. They run from the first week in September to the last week in June. There is a coach on deck. We have 5 lanes. Each lane gets a personalized workout based on the strength of the swimmers in each lane. We have 2 ex-Olympians and 4 others who do the coaching. We have a bit of video done and a lot of technique work and instruction. In the last 4 years I have gone from a 1:20 IM swim to 1:04 swim. It is a true masters class. We do a lot of all 4 strokes. There are a couple of us that do triathlons, but the majority of them are swimmers.

Charity is injurious unless it helps the recipient to become independent of it. John D. Rockefeller Sr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ours is $500 for the year, which includes 7 coached practices per week (8 hours) and unlimited access to the pool during public lane swims. Totally worth it.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Dallas, I'm at the J which includes a coached masters swim Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday. The gym membership is $80/month for a family membership (individual is $65/month). I'm curious how Dallas compares to other cities.

Other options here:

A local tri club uses 3 lanes our pool on T/Th/Su evenings, and the last I knew their members paid $40/month.

The most popular option here is a masters team with daily swims at one or more of about 5 pools around town pools for $80/month

Another tri club whose membership includes 2-3 weekly coached swims at a local LA Fitness. I believe that costs $230/yr plus LA Fitness membership (~$30/month?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The fitness center club I belong to costs $50 a month. The only reason I'm a member there are the pools. There's two locations, both having masters swims at different times during the week which is great. Both have masters swim Saturday morning as well.

Both locations have indoor and outdoor pools, 25 SCY so when it gets warm we move workouts outside.

Very worth it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$50 or $60/month (depending if you are a member at the pool/gym facility.) Includes coached workouts 4 weekday mornings, and 2 weekday lunches.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$65.00 a month and I get access to the pool anytime it's open. Masters is M-W-F-S @ 6am or M-T-W-T @ 12pm. I can pay for 6 months and cut $5.00 off a month.

Yes it's worth it. It has made swimming my strength of the 3. My only complaint is, as stated above, when I ask about my technique he just says, "looks good". I have video taped myself and would disagree with him.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Masters Swimming [alien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$65/month for 2 classes/week. It works out to $8/class for USAT and USMS certified coaches. The classes are great and have helped me. During the summer we add an extra session each week for OWS. I just wish the price was a little cheaper. You add a $30/month gym membership on top of it and it's not cheap. The nice thing is it's 24 hour pool and gym access. Most days you get your own lane which is a luxury at most pools.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swim with a few different Masters teams - the pricing really varies. At my "home" pool, I pay $60/month for gym membership and $10/month for Masters for access to 13 coached practices a week. The head coach is absolutely terrible which is why I go elsewhere on the weekends. The assistant coaches are much better, although to be honest, I've never once in my four years swimming on this team received any feedback on my technique. So I guess that means either 1) my technique is perfect, or 2) the coaches are just there to give the workout. I suspect it's #2 because even my non-swimmer husband can point out my stroke flaws.

Other teams in the area are usually priced monthly and range from $50/month to $80/month. Drop-ins range from $5.50 to $20 for a workout. The most I will pay for a drop-in is $12 unless I'm really desperate.

I love Masters. Definitely well worth the money.
Quote Reply