Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: NFL CTE Settlement [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
A first concussion increases the likelyhood of a second

The fact is that irrespective of what you are saying. The pool of available talent is decreasing as parents with draw their kids.
More high school kids are playing football than any other sport and participation is increasing
http://www.cnsnews.com/...ns-no-1-hs-sport-usa

Andrewmc wrote:
The second thing is your experience is not tallying with the reported data. You say yoi've never seen one or only a handful. The reported data does not support that.
Can you provide the data are you referencing? I found the below site but it doesn't say where the data came from. It calls out 64-76.8 concussions per 100,000 athletic exposures. For reference hockey is 54 and boys lacrosse is about 43 and girls soccer is 33.
http://www.headcasecompany.com/...n_concussions_sports

Andrewmc wrote:
Finally. Maybe only 1500 or so make it to the big leagues. How many play HS. How many college.

Lets say it thins by 90% at each level. Thats 15k at college. Thats 150k in HS.

So we're not discussing 1500 at the pro level. We are asking where the 50, 100, 150k will come from in HS.
You're making extreme predictions that are in conflict with the current trends. We are two or three years removed from the NFL concussion scandal and HS and college football participation is at an all time high.
https://www.nfhs.org/articles/high-school-sports-participation-increases-for-27th-consecutive-year/
Quote Reply
Re: NFL CTE Settlement [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Here's my question, how is the NFL going to survive? Less and less kids are playing football now. The talent pool will continue to shrink.

The NFL won't survive. It's already a dead man walking. The killshot already happened. It's just going to take a long time (decades) before it bleeds out and dies.

The billion dollar lawsuits are coming, and they will be brutal as well as far as football's future, but it's a whole generation of kids that are not playing football as much (the current crop of youngsters) and the next generation that won't play at all that will ultimately kill the sport. Anyone who doesn't believe the NFL is eventually dead is an idiot. I recall someone chiming in on a similar thread who was an asst. college coach or something. He told those of us that said football was dead that we were wrong. He of course had a vested interest, and was an idiot.

My son also wanted to play and we told him no chance. He did play flag football for five years.

I think any parent that allows their kid to play football in this day and age with what we know is negligent in doing their main job as a parent which is to protect your kid as best you can.

Hi GMAN. I believe I'm the idiot you're referring to regarding the thread a while back where I stated my experience, and my opinion as a football recruitment coordinator at the college level. You seem to be spewing your own opinion and acting as if it is informed, as well as insults. Nice job.

The sport is only growing and the NFL is far from a 'dead man walking'. I say that not as a fan of the sport, only as one who works in the industry.

And as for your judging of parents who let their kids play football, I assume you feel the same about all sports. They all carry risk and have the same common factor: all it takes is one incident. As for protection being our "main job as a parent", I couldn't disagree more.

Quote Reply
Re: NFL CTE Settlement [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Yup, and there will always be players willing to play. But what kind of players are we talking about 20 years from now when all the best athletes are playing baseball, basketball, soccer, athletics... and not football so much?

Well you can actually look to MLB for part of your answer. Baseball #'s are not good at the youth level. The best athletes don't tend to gravitate to baseball. xThe % of the league that is African American has been in steady decline for a while and polls indicate that kids as a whole just don't look at it as something they are interested in. The product is lessened by this but it is still there.

I think those who are physically very gifted towards football (large, fast, etc.) will still play at the youth levels and their parents will promote it. But I can't see why parents of a kid that is not destined to be good would let them play.

What we might see though is high schools getting out of the business and it having to become a club sport or something similar to AAU basketball. There is a lot of liability potential for high schools and no budget for defending lawsuits.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: NFL CTE Settlement [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently your reading comprehension is not so great.

The fact that the same percentage are enrolled in HS today says nothing about the future pipe line of players from elementary school. The article says the percentage enrolled has remained constant as a percentage of total HS kids. It does not say participation is increasing faster as a percent of total students. If you are going to use an article to illustrate a point, read what it says.

League of denial was written, what 4? 4 years ago? The class action in the last 2-3? You think the impacts of that would be statistically noticeable this quickly?

The withdrawl rate is not going to significantly impact those already playing. This is a public health strategy, the same as smoking, yes you'd like people to give up but far more importantly is stopping them from starting. No where in the article does it make any reference to the next generation.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC4324991/

Football and boxing account for 86% of research reported cases. So far - its quoted widely - indications are that up to 80-90% of nfl players could have it

The reported concussion rates are a joke. Firstly reporting a decrease in concussions in the season says nothing about concussions in practice. Secondly, as more has been foubd out about concussions, its become increasingly apparent that the protocols that have been used pick up the big hits and might take you out of the game, but it is the cumulative effect of multiple repeated knocks with no time to recover that causes brain damage.

You are a little like Philip Morris. In the face of the overwhelming evidence linking the problem with the cause, you think that the changes in behaviour would be reflected in 2-3 yeara and because they haven't you think problem solved.

Public health strategies, changing peoples behaviour takes years, in some instances decades. The biggest public health programs of the last 40-50 years; immunisations, cancer screening, seat belts, child seats, smoking cessation, removing asbestos from the workplace, sexual behavior and STD's have taken years

You can keep telling yourself its fine, but when parents here are telling you their infants are not going to be playing football and there is no evidence that can be provided to demonstrate its safe, you should recognise they may not be outliers...........

Do you understand that? Its to early to tell.
Quote Reply
Re: NFL CTE Settlement [El Jefe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just because i think i'm one of the forums pedants

All sports do not have the same common factor - it takes one incident.

Yes, i suppose you could drown, jump in to shallow water or swim head first in to the pool wall but you can not seriously be equating the clinical research on repeated head impacts in football and boxing with the fact that something might happen in another sport

Football is materially more likely to result in a concussion than golf? Or do you disagree?

As to protecting our kids. Irrespective of whether its the number one job. It is certainly a cobsideration and when the clinical evidence indicates that should you continue to play the likelyhood of ending up with a devastating clinical condition unnecessarily should surely be a consideration?

If you are not going to be a professional what reasonable grounds are there to pick playing football with the risk of brain damage over golf / swimming / track and field? None i think
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Just because i think i'm one of the forums pedants

All sports do not have the same common factor - it takes one incident.

Yes, i suppose you could drown, jump in to shallow water or swim head first in to the pool wall but you can not seriously be equating the clinical research on repeated head impacts in football and boxing with the fact that something might happen in another sport

Football is materially more likely to result in a concussion than golf? Or do you disagree?

As to protecting our kids. Irrespective of whether its the number one job. It is certainly a cobsideration and when the clinical evidence indicates that should you continue to play the likelyhood of ending up with a devastating clinical condition unnecessarily should surely be a consideration?

If you are not going to be a professional what reasonable grounds are there to pick playing football with the risk of brain damage over golf / swimming / track and field? None i think

You state "All sports do not have the same factor", then you proceed to acknowledge that they do by citing examples. That is what I am referring to. They do indeed have the "one incident" factor. I acknowledge that football has a much higher incident rate than other sports. Never stated otherwise. In my opinion, the serious, life altering injuries occur much less frequently below the professional level. Extremely less frequently at youth levels through high school.

Parents who refuse to let their kids play football citing fear of concussion/injury are acting on a fear that is not realistic. Thousands upon thousands of kids play football with no serious injury. The chances of a kid getting a serious concussion or injury is very slim and probably not much different than the same happening in any one of a number of other sports. My experience growing up: more boys got hurt playing baseball and soccer than they did football.

Older but interesting data from wiki (there is a lot of conflicting data out there):
Injury rate per exposure based on sport in collegiate athletes from 1998 to 2004[15]

Sport

Injury rate per 1,000 athletic exposures

Women's ice hockey

Men's spring football (American)

Men's ice hockey

Women's soccer

Men's football (American)

Men's soccer

Men's wrestling

Men's lacrosse

Women's lacrosse

Women's basketball

Women's field hockey

Men's basketball

Women's gymnastics

Women's softball

Women's volleyball

Men's baseball

All sports

Protection is indeed a duty and aspect of parenting. Not letting a kid play football because a parent's fear and bias towards the sport is not protection, it's just restriction.

As to your last question about grounds for choosing to play football, I'm going to assume you've never played. Going professional is not the end goal of why most kids play sports anyway, in my opinion.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Article HERE citing a 2014 study that shows soccer is worse than football

From the article

"Recent studies show that soccer has surpassed football," said neurologist Peter A. Puzio from Augusta Health Neurology. "As soccer grows in popularity, so does the incidence of concussion. There's not a perfect a number because it all depends on the severity of each one, but there is a cumulative effect of concussions. One is bad, but it depends on the severity of the concussions."

"And while many quit football, some athletes moved on to other sports such as soccer, or wrestling — both of which many people believe are less dangerous. But recent studies show they are just as risky as football."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
El Jefe wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Here's my question, how is the NFL going to survive? Less and less kids are playing football now. The talent pool will continue to shrink.

The NFL won't survive. It's already a dead man walking. The killshot already happened. It's just going to take a long time (decades) before it bleeds out and dies.

The billion dollar lawsuits are coming, and they will be brutal as well as far as football's future, but it's a whole generation of kids that are not playing football as much (the current crop of youngsters) and the next generation that won't play at all that will ultimately kill the sport. Anyone who doesn't believe the NFL is eventually dead is an idiot. I recall someone chiming in on a similar thread who was an asst. college coach or something. He told those of us that said football was dead that we were wrong. He of course had a vested interest, and was an idiot.

My son also wanted to play and we told him no chance. He did play flag football for five years.

I think any parent that allows their kid to play football in this day and age with what we know is negligent in doing their main job as a parent which is to protect your kid as best you can.

Hi GMAN. I believe I'm the idiot you're referring to regarding the thread a while back where I stated my experience, and my opinion as a football recruitment coordinator at the college level. You seem to be spewing your own opinion and acting as if it is informed, as well as insults. Nice job.

The sport is only growing and the NFL is far from a 'dead man walking'. I say that not as a fan of the sport, only as one who works in the industry.

And as for your judging of parents who let their kids play football, I assume you feel the same about all sports. They all carry risk and have the same common factor: all it takes is one incident. As for protection being our "main job as a parent", I couldn't disagree more.

The sport is not growing. It's been at a constant level but, as Andrew pointed out above, we are only a few years removed from the public debate and mainstream exposure of the concussion and CTE problem. So the statistical shift among youth participation has yet to bear out. Let's have this conversation again in 5-10 years and you will not see a positive or even neutral trend. The sport is dying. It's going to be a long death but it's dying. You can stick your head in the sand all you want but it's not going to change anything. You'll likely be safe in your career because odds are that it's going to take decades for the sport, at least the sport in its current form, to die.

You have an obvious bias and vested interest but what's your opinion on the matter outside of thinking the sport is not dying? Do you think there's teeth to the concussion/CTE research and findings or are you going to play the industry denial card and say it's not a big deal? No offense, but your industry reeks of the 1950-1970's era tobacco industry that did everything imaginable to claim smoking wasn't bad. I'm not saying you're like that, just a generalization of your industry being a bunch of greedy, devious, selfish, and self-protecting assholes. The assholeness lessens at each level down from the NFL but let's not pretend college football isn't big business.

I do not feel like that about all sports, and frankly, that's a silly argument to make. Is there risk of injury in every sport? Absolutely there is. Let's not pretend each sport is like the other in regards to danger. A sport like football is at the pinnacle of dangerous because the whole point is to violently stop someone from advancing the ball. People are getting hit at all times, and at all positions. Hockey, and lacrosse (which I played in HS), are a step or three down the list from football because, even though there's checking involved, that isn't the same as tackling. Additionally, only the puck or ball carriers are getting checked, which is a far cry from football where many/most of the players are getting hit on every play, regardless of who actually carries the ball. Also the intention of checking isn't to bring the player down, it's to remove the ball or puck from the player. I would have trepidations about letting my son play hockey or lacrosse but nowhere near how I feel about football. I wouldn't want my kid to box or do MMA either.

Then there's other sports like baseball where you could certainly get beaned in the head but that's not part and parcel to the game. Basketball you could slip on the court and hit your head. Once again, not part and parcel to the sport. There's no expectation that you're going to get hit in the head while playing baseball, basketball, golf, track, cycling, running, volleyball, or whatever. Football is just inherently violent and there's a 100% expectation you're going to get hit in the head.

As to the parenting comment, what's more important than the safety and well being of your child? Beyond unconditional love, of course.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Apparently your reading comprehension is not so great.

What do you do when you statistics conflict with your opinion? Insult the person who posted them! While you're doing this:

The NFL settled the CTE case like this:

And continues to roll like this:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
The sport is not growing. It's been at a constant level but, as Andrew pointed out above, we are only a few years removed from the public debate and mainstream exposure of the concussion and CTE problem. So the statistical shift among youth participation has yet to bear out. Let's have this conversation again in 5-10 years and you will not see a positive or even neutral trend. The sport is dying. It's going to be a long death but it's dying. You can stick your head in the sand all you want but it's not going to change anything. You'll likely be safe in your career because odds are that it's going to take decades for the sport, at least the sport in its current form, to die.

You have an obvious bias and vested interest but what's your opinion on the matter outside of thinking the sport is not dying? Do you think there's teeth to the concussion/CTE research and findings or are you going to play the industry denial card and say it's not a big deal? No offense, but your industry reeks of the 1950-1970's era tobacco industry that did everything imaginable to claim smoking wasn't bad. I'm not saying you're like that, just a generalization of your industry being a bunch of greedy, devious, selfish, and self-protecting assholes. The assholeness lessens at each level down from the NFL but let's not pretend college football isn't big business.

I do not feel like that about all sports, and frankly, that's a silly argument to make. Is there risk of injury in every sport? Absolutely there is. Let's not pretend each sport is like the other in regards to danger. A sport like football is at the pinnacle of dangerous because the whole point is to violently stop someone from advancing the ball. People are getting hit at all times, and at all positions. Hockey, and lacrosse (which I played in HS), are a step or three down the list from football because, even though there's checking involved, that isn't the same as tackling. Additionally, only the puck or ball carriers are getting checked, which is a far cry from football where many/most of the players are getting hit on every play, regardless of who actually carries the ball. Also the intention of checking isn't to bring the player down, it's to remove the ball or puck from the player. I would have trepidations about letting my son play hockey or lacrosse but nowhere near how I feel about football. I wouldn't want my kid to box or do MMA either.

Then there's other sports like baseball where you could certainly get beaned in the head but that's not part and parcel to the game. Basketball you could slip on the court and hit your head. Once again, not part and parcel to the sport. There's no expectation that you're going to get hit in the head while playing baseball, basketball, golf, track, cycling, running, volleyball, or whatever. Football is just inherently violent and there's a 100% expectation you're going to get hit in the head.

As to the parenting comment, what's more important than the safety and well being of your child? Beyond unconditional love, of course.

Few years removed? We are fresh on the heels of the CTE 'blow up' right? Will Smith movie and all right? Parents are pulling their kids from the sport all around and it's a huge trend right?

What sport is the number one participated in sport in high school in the country? But you're right, the sport is dying.

Keep generalizing dude. I know a ton of people who generalize that triathletes are whining, elitist, pencil thin, crying bitches. Does that sum up triathletes? Do I think that there is teeth to the CTE/concussion thing? No I do not. Football is a dangerous sport. Violent. Can cause lifelong injuries. It is a shame that the NFL "covered up" what everyone already knew. Having met a number of pro and ex pro players, NOT ONE of them would have changed their decision to play in the NFL. There are a few older, retired players who are saying they would have and the other ones are calling BS on them. They know.

More cyclists died last year riding on the road than football players playing the sport. Are you going to restrict your kid from becoming a cyclist?

Quote Reply
Re: NFL CTE Settlement [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:

The pool of available talent is decreasing as parents with draw their kids. .......

I suspect the talent pool is decreasing faster from educated upper and middle class families and slower from lower income families and population areas.

That would be almost a sure thing. It's very hard to find any unhealthy behavior that isn't more common among the lower socioeconomic class than the upper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Soccer concussions come from headers, which have been banned for youth soccer (U10), for that reason. At a certain level they are introduced (U13), but only in practice. I wouldn't be surprised to see that ban age up.

Similarly, certain checks in lax and hockey are only allowed as the athlete gets older.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
El Jefe wrote:
Do I think that there is teeth to the CTE/concussion thing? No I do not.

Your entire post points to you probably taking too many hits to the head but I'll just let this comment stand on its own.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Feb 10, 17 6:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hockey, and lacrosse (which I played in HS), are a step or three down the list from football because, even though there's checking involved, that isn't the same as tackling.

And the checking is way more limited today than it was when you or I played. Even at the NCAA level, most great "hits" are flagged in lax. Its near impossible to "de-cleat" someone anymore, which is probably a good thing. Same in hockey, great hits from when I played will now get a major penalty in some cases
Quote Reply

Prev Next