Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Overall Thoughts on Scott Plasma 10?
Quote | Reply
Considering purchasing a used 2010 Plasma 10- thoughts on the Scott during that time period?
Thanks,
Quote Reply
Re: Overall Thoughts on Scott Plasma 10? [EDL2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a great bike. I had one that was a great ride for me. Two things that I would take into consideration...

1: The 2010 model year has the seat mast vs a regular seat post. That means the seat mast needs to be cut to fit. The height adjustment is then limited given the amount of movement the ritchey post top will allow; which isn't much. You can always go lower by cutting away more of the seat mast. But once cut, you get the drift. Even it the bike is the perfect fit, the seat mast could become a resale issue due to that limiting factor. I do believe you can purchase an alternate ritchey post top that has more height to it if necessary.

2: The rear chain stays are quite narrow. I tried running 25mm tires and they would rub the frame when peddling hard. No issue with the 23mm tires. With that same note, the narrow chain stays are on the no-no list for the Wheelbuilder disc cover. I used SRAM 60/80 with no problem. But the aero cover wouldn't be advised as it could rub the frame.

Those 2 things are the only considerations I offer. Again, i had the same model and it was an awesome bike. The "skeg" under the BB was a neat touch. Not sure how much benefit it offers. The regular rear brake is "better" than the hidden brakes under the bike in a sense that they are easier to work on for the regular person.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had one. Good bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great information-thanks everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Overall Thoughts on Scott Plasma 10? [stomponafrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stomponafrog wrote:
It's a great bike. I had one that was a great ride for me. Two things that I would take into consideration...

1: The 2010 model year has the seat mast vs a regular seat post. That means the seat mast needs to be cut to fit. The height adjustment is then limited given the amount of movement the ritchey post top will allow; which isn't much. You can always go lower by cutting away more of the seat mast. But once cut, you get the drift. Even it the bike is the perfect fit, the seat mast could become a resale issue due to that limiting factor. I do believe you can purchase an alternate ritchey post top that has more height to it if necessary.

2: The rear chain stays are quite narrow. I tried running 25mm tires and they would rub the frame when peddling hard. No issue with the 23mm tires. With that same note, the narrow chain stays are on the no-no list for the Wheelbuilder disc cover. I used SRAM 60/80 with no problem. But the aero cover wouldn't be advised as it could rub the frame.

Those 2 things are the only considerations I offer. Again, i had the same model and it was an awesome bike. The "skeg" under the BB was a neat touch. Not sure how much benefit it offers. The regular rear brake is "better" than the hidden brakes under the bike in a sense that they are easier to work on for the regular person.
Point 1 alone is ample reason to stay away. I've fit 4 or so of these bikes from that era - 3 of the 4 were cut too short. The Ritchey clamp adds 2 cm or so, but most of these bikes that I saw already had the "taller" option.

These bikes had geometries that are still relevant (although the biggest bike didn't get very big), but the integrated seat post is a catastrophic flaw if you're looking for one used.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: Overall Thoughts on Scott Plasma 10? [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing wrong with the ISP as long as you can achieve your saddle height.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride one currently (2010 Plasma LTD).

The points already made about the ISP are valid, as long as you can get it to fit you (either as-is, or cutting down the seatmast more) then you're set. I have both sizes of mast-topper but use the longer one. The one issue I did have with the ISP was it not fitting in the bike travel case I borrowed for my last race. Ended up taking my road bike which wasn't the worst choice anyway due to the hills (IM Wales).

Once you figure out the cable routing etc it's easy to work on, especially with the conventional positioning of the brakes. The BB skeg also makes it so you can't use a workstand where the BB is cradled.

The comment above about tire width is a good one, too - but I run Conti Force/Attack so it's not an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a 2009. It was a little long so I sold it and bought a used Falco. I like the Falco but I miss my Scott Plasma and wish I had never sold it. The seat clip on the back kept snapping (Ritchey replaced for free) so I made a heavy duty one out of aluminum. No other problems. Looking back I should have shortened the stem and got a longer seat.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Overall Thoughts on Scott Plasma 10? [stomponafrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stomponafrog wrote:

I have the Plasma 3 in HTC livery (along with the shark-teeth stem). The bike has the same rear triangle as the Plasma 10.

The rear triangle can accommodate a 25mm rear tire, you just need to set the screws within the drop out (turn them so they protrude from the contours of the dropout). This effectively moves the wheel aftwards to create additional clearance. I've ran a Stinger 6 with a Vittoria Evo 25mm tire, and the bike is currently fitted with a 25mm GP 4000-II.

As for wheel covers, certain combination may work. The Catalyst wheel covers were great as they were really thin. However, even then, care was needed. For example, I use the cover originally fitted for a Stinger 6 on a rear 303, and it works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a 2009 Scott Plasma 2. Great bike. I got the frame new so no issue with the ISP length and had no trouble selling although I wish I had not sold it. I ran a Renn disc on the back with 20mm Supersonic. 23mm training tires and they barely fit.

[URL=http://s268.photobucket.com/...ia/IMG_0296.jpg.html][/url]
Quote Reply