Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I found $800 in couch cushions today. What Power meter would you buy today, if you were me? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
If I already had DA components, I would take another $200 and buy Pioneer's upgrade kit (SGY PM9100C) to put their power meter on my DA crank. I've already done that for 2 bikes. Love it. Finally got to have 2-sided power with the wheels I want, the pedals I want, the reliability I want, the crank I want and without the SRM premium price

I read that like I could get a $200 power meter for my DA crank.. should have known better.

To the OP, I have a powertap training wheel with disc cover. Don't go that route. Sure it saves money, but I'm sick of switching over wheels and cassettes and tires and tubes back and forth between my road bike and tri bike. I would only consider it if your race wheel is the same as your training wheel. I'll be changing it up this year I believe.

Team Zoot - Great Lakes
Quote Reply
Re: I found $800 in couch cushions today. What Power meter would you buy today, if you were me? [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is what is popular with my athletes in no order
Pioneer
Quarq - although I find the biggest # of pairing problems with this and Garmin head units.
Powertap wheels & pedals (all my garmin vector people have switched to PT pedals if they stayed with a pedal system)
Power2max

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: I found $800 in couch cushions today. What Power meter would you buy today? [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoelO wrote:
I've been happy with the Powertap C-1 chainrings...$700.

Genuinely curious. Have you ridden yours yet in heavy rain?
Quote Reply
Re: I found $800 in couch cushions today. What Power meter would you buy today? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. Sounds like you're having some issues. I wonder if there's some water getting in around the seals.
Quote Reply
Re: I found $800 in couch cushions today. What Power meter would you buy today? [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoelO wrote:
No. Sounds like you're having some issues. I wonder if there's some water getting in around the seals.

I've had water ingress issues on 2 units now, with the seals being perfect. But I don't want to derail this thread. If I had $800 and had to buy a powermeter, I wouldn't buy the Powertap rings again - unless they convinced me the water issue has been solved. (Note, their support has been fantastic thus far)
Quote Reply
Re: I found $800 in couch cushions today. What Power meter would you buy today? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
JoelO wrote:

I've had water ingress issues on 2 units now, with the seals being perfect. But I don't want to derail this thread. If I had $800 and had to buy a powermeter, I wouldn't buy the Powertap rings again - unless they convinced me the water issue has been solved. (Note, their support has been fantastic thus far)

I also had problems with two sets of Powertap C+ chainrings. I've now been running Quarqs on my road and TT bikes since last summer with no issues. Looking at the construction of the Quarqs vs the Powertap, it seems pretty obvious where the problems came from - the electronics pod and seal are really flimsy.
Quote Reply
Re: I found $800 in couch cushions today. What Power meter would you buy today, if you were me? [tjones2k9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tjones2k9 wrote:
JoeO wrote:
If I already had DA components, I would take another $200 and buy Pioneer's upgrade kit (SGY PM9100C) to put their power meter on my DA crank. I've already done that for 2 bikes. Love it. Finally got to have 2-sided power with the wheels I want, the pedals I want, the reliability I want, the crank I want and without the SRM premium price

I read that like I could get a $200 power meter for my DA crank.. should have known better.

Yeah, I wish...

Quote:
To the OP, I have a powertap training wheel with disc cover. Don't go that route. Sure it saves money, but I'm sick of switching over wheels and cassettes and tires and tubes back and forth between my road bike and tri bike. I would only consider it if your race wheel is the same as your training wheel. I'll be changing it up this year I believe.

I second that. For a few years I had to do this but once I could afford something different, I was very happy to leave this solution behind.
Quote Reply
Re: I found $800 in couch cushions today. What Power meter would you buy today? [ni31mo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ni31mo wrote:
nickwhite wrote:
JoelO wrote:

I also had problems with two sets of Powertap C+ chainrings. I've now been running Quarqs on my road and TT bikes since last summer with no issues. Looking at the construction of the Quarqs vs the Powertap, it seems pretty obvious where the problems came from - the electronics pod and seal are really flimsy.

Seems to me water gets in not around the sealed, user-serviceable pod, but actually behind it, where it attaches to the rings. I still have to deal with mine, as it died, then dried out and came back to life, and I've basically left it sitting there for 7 months now (injury). If I had to buy another one, I'd get a Quarq as well (unless Powertap fixed the water issue - it's an otherwise perfect powermeter).
Quote Reply

Prev Next