Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Knee pain after bike fit
Quote | Reply
Have had my P2 for 8 months, rode it through two half-distance events and the associated training on just the bike shop fitting. No issues at all other than low back tightness starting typically around mile 30. Got a professional fit two weeks ago. During my first ride, I had a sharp pain under both patellas when standing up to climb a hill (chondromalacia likely). That night I had issues climbing stairs due to pain. After the last couple of trainer rides, my knees feel 'hot' all day.

Looking for some opinions - is this likely due to the new fit position and should I a) power through it or b) go back for fit adjustments, possibly back to the original setup? Next event is a HIM in eight weeks and then a full three weeks later in April.
Quote Reply
Re: Knee pain after bike fit [MKATC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sharp pain is never OK, stop riding that position immediately and contact the fitter who did this fit for them to fix it. If they can't in one session, or they want to charge you, or they insist you need to just ride through it, then go elsewhere for someone else to fix it (or go back to the original position).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Classic symptoms of chondromalacia. On road bike fittings, it usually means your saddle is either too low, or too far forward. It can show up if you knees aren't tracking straight too. Massaging/stretching your upper and outer quads improve tissue quality can help too.
Quote Reply
Re: Knee pain after bike fit [__Tron__] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds more like the fat pad under the ligament that connects the kneecap to the tibia irritation to me.
You probably went forward.
Your seat height when you are forward is super critical.
If it is just fat pad irritation, lifting the seat up will cure it almost immediately.
You may be better off on a shorter crank.

As always, post a video for the best chance of crowd sourced cures.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recovery - Take a couple days off, a few NSAIDs to relieve swelling/pain, gently massage, foam roller/the "stick" your quads and hamstrings 3-4 times per day.

When ready, return to previous riding position (before being fitted) and evaluate. If desired, contact the fitter and describe the issue...go from there, etc.
Quote Reply