Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Canyon delays US market entry to 3rd Quarter..... [duckies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duckies wrote:
They let me order the bike and then swapped out the short bar (110/410) for the correct length for me (130/430). Took about a week for the whole process.
Mine was an Aeroad size Large.

Two questions for you:
  1. Any initial feedback on the bike (build quality, ride, wheels, etc.)?
  2. What size tires are you running . . . and how wide are they really (i.e. 28mm?)?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon delays US market entry to 3rd Quarter..... [jackrobinson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure! My review for the Aeroad is forthcoming, but let's dive in for this stuff.

Quote:
  1. Any initial feedback on the bike (build quality, ride, wheels, etc.)?

I ordered a frameset and built it up, so I can only really give you feedback on the frame, fork, cockpit, and brakes (the frameset comes with Dura Ace direct mount).

The Good:
Frame itself is really well made. I stuck a scope in it while hunting down a Di2 loose connection (turned out that I didn't leave enough slack when I wrapped the bars) and the interior of the frame is cleaaaaaaan. All the sharp angles for the frame are chamfered nicely, and no sprues are visible anywhere I can find.
It is stiff as all get out - this is NOT a comfort frame and if you ride it over bad roads you will rattle your fillings loose.
The paint is consistent and even throughout the frameset. I've got bikes that were more money and from more "mainstream" manufacturers that have uneven paint, areas where there's patches wearing through directly out of the box, and worse. The Canyon's paint is really even, nicely laid, and the gloss will hold up for a long, long time.
DA direct mount dual pivot brakes are seriously good - they stop well, modulate well, and once I figured out what I was doing wrong were a cinch to set up (kinked a brake cable and took forever to figure that out). Considering they were "free" I'm really happy.
Fork has that whole "stable/able" thing where you can switch it around if you want, but I haven't messed with it. Came in the stable setting, YMMV.
The various plugs they give you for cables and wires are pretty decent and fit nicely. You do kind of have to figure out what goes where, as there's no documentation. Putting it together yourself means spending some extra time in, that's all.
The Di2 battery clamp in the downtube is just genius. Installing it was so ridiculously simple that it's kind of a wonder more companies don't use a system like this.

The Bad:
If your legs brush the top tube, the matte grey paint on the top tube has a lip that you can feel with every stroke. Kind of annoying. Most will never notice this, I ride with close knees.
Access hole below the bottom bracket for Di2 is pretty small. Maybe an inch wide? You have to install the internal battery before you put the bottom bracket in, otherwise the sleeve will prevent you from getting it in there.
Wiring this cockpit is an exercise in repeated frustration. The brake cables will follow the channels, but running them and Di2 wire underneath the channel covers on the underside of the bar is an absolute chore. Get it right the first time, because you do NOT want to unwrap this bar and deal with it again.
Measure your cockpit Di2 wire carefully - extra becomes a liability due to the highly limited amount of space for slack between the Junction A box and the shifters. It's all got to go underneath that center channel cover, and that's some pretty cramped space already.
I loathe the saddle clamp Canyon uses on the Aeroad. It's one of those single bolt clamps that effectively presses the binder into the seat post, and the cycling gods may help you if you don't get it right the first time, because nothing short of a deadblow hammer will otherwise. It works fine once it's in at the right saddle angle, but until then you will swear. A lot.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon delays US market entry to 3rd Quarter..... [duckies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Super helpful. Good to know it's a quality build, even if a pain to build up. Thanks!

A little surprised at the comfort comment though. I recall reading a review from Tour magazine that rated it very comfortable (sorta like the current Madone). I know this is influenced by wheels, tires, and tire pressure . . . but still a little surprised.
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon delays US market entry to 3rd Quarter..... [jackrobinson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm running Ultegra Di2, with Zipp 404/808 NSW on Continental TT tires in 23mm at 85psi. My saddle is an ISM Adamo Road. Hope that helps!
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon delays US market entry to 3rd Quarter..... [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A friend (not referring to myself, Stan. but it is the same "friend's" son) asked me about buying a new Supersix. I turned him on to this Canyon Ultimate - look at that build for that price: https://www.canyon.com/.../ultimate-cf-slx-9-0

Now, all is good and the bike is ordered, but what is rubbing me wrong is that Canyon is stocking their one piece stem/bar combo with no option to change out the bar for a different stem legnth or bar width, when I had seen mentioned on bikerumor the option to select your stem/bar combo. So, I'm anticipating a lot of canyon one piece stem/bars to flood eBay in the near future... really too bad because bar is very nice. Now, for the friend, he'll be ok with the stem length, just a tad wider than he'd like. But for me, someone who'd need a 120x39 option, I'd be out of luck and replacing the front end and those great bar graphics...

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon delays US market entry to 3rd Quarter..... [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the previous page of this thread, someone mentioned that you can buy an additional integrated handlebar from Canyon while you order your bike and return the one that came with the bike.

I guess they don't want to be in the business of opening a sealed box and swapping out parts when the labels on the box are already affixed telling you exactly what is inside. Possible the person on your friend talked to on the phone was familiar with the policy of no customization, but not the option of returning the existing bar?
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon delays US market entry to 3rd Quarter..... [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is one rub on this idea of buying another one and trading it in....as of right now there are no Canyon handlebars in their accessory store on the website...so how are you supposed to order the different sized bar?

They seem to be adding stuff on a daily basis to the accessory store...but as of now there is no way to change the bar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up!

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon delays US market entry to 3rd Quarter..... [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They will be adding more customization options in the future. They haven't added these yet, but it will be an option as things continue to progress.

As I understand it, all bikes are built, tuned, and packed at there warehouse in the US. I'm sure that the customization options will be coming soon.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been riding the Aeroad CF SLX almost two years. As a road race bike that can do everything it's a stellar compromise between aero, weight, handling, build quality and value. Standard easy to work on dual mount brakes and room for large tyres or tubs are extra bonuses. Never noticed that it's so stiff as to be uncomfortable but then I don't even believe that can be well evaluated by seat of the pants testing. In contrast to me, a good friend did not get on with his and went back to his Cannondale Supersix Evo. My Canyon issues have only been long delays for parts replacement, especially a problem I had with the rake changer on the forks. These problems would give me second thoughts on buying another Canyon since a broken race bike is a useless race bike.

Last year was a good season for the Aeroad and me, with a few decent wins, including first on the summit finish at GFNY Mont Ventoux:

Last edited by: duncan: Aug 26, 17 7:14
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon delays US market entry to 3rd Quarter..... [duncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With Eurobike going on now, it looks like Canyon has updated their European website with more of their 2018 bikes. I would expect that they would be spec'd the same way for the US, just that the pricing is still in Euros. It still looks like they have more models and builds coming out though.

ETA: and for those who were complaining about the price increase for the Speedmax 7.0 from $1999 to $2499...it seems as though the $1999 was an error, not that they were price adjusting due to demand. The 7.0 on the European website is listed as $2299 euros, which is equivalent to $2726 given the 1.19 exchange rate.
Last edited by: Jason N: Sep 1, 17 13:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
it seems as though the $1999 was an error, not that they were price adjusting due to demand. The 7.0 on the European website is listed as $2299 euros, which is equivalent to $2726 given the 1.19 exchange rate.

Ha - that was actually my first thought, if someone got their FX math backwards. Looks like that might be case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have an update on the US availability of the complete Speedmax lineup?

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon delays US market entry to 3rd Quarter..... [jlentzke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canyon told me the 8.0 version will be out in late October.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Canyon delays US market entry to 3rd Quarter..... [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just received this email from Ian @ Canyon

"Thank you for your email and your interest in the Speedmax.
We are anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Speedmax to our shores and we anticipate that we will be receiving the Speedmax CF starting in October. These models will be available up the a Ultegra Di2 build level.

The top level, Speedmax CF SLX bikes will not arrive on our shores till December at the earliest."

Toro Performance
Quote Reply

Prev Next