Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Iron man in Spain?
Quote | Reply
I am planning on doing my first full ironman next year 2018 in Spain. Has anyone on slowtwitch done one is spain? I know the Barcelona course is supposed to be one of the most scenic/beautiful courses but I am open to any in the whole country.
Quote Reply
Re: Iron man in Spain? [Ngarrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not race Ironman distance, but I can give you a couple of hints. I have raced Vitoria half distance and it is a beautiful race. They hold an Ironman the same day. Mostly flat.

If you like hard climbs, then the KM0 in Madrid is for you. The bike goes over several category 1 Vuelta climbs. Then the race ends in the very heart of Madrid. This race has been bought by Challenge.
Quote Reply
Re: Iron man in Spain? [argmac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will look into it. Madrid would actually be better since my wife is from a city an hour outside Madrid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Barcelona in 2015. The race is actually starts in Calella. It is flat and fast - following the coast the entire way. I enjoyed the visit there and thought it was a very nice venue. Book your hotel early though, as they seem to fill up quickly..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, the locals consider Barcelona being in Catalonia, not Spain ... apart from that, Barcelona is a great race, hotels, food and transport are cheap. Paella is awesome if you go to places frequented by the locals/spaniards/catalans.

If you get emotional about large (LARGE) draft packs, this may not be a race for you.

I think the Challenge Madrid bike course is quite tough on the first 90k but mostly downhill afterwards with a significant net elevation loss.

Other than that there is Ironman Lanzarote (hilly and windy) plus some obscure ones you can find here:

https://k226.com/events/events.aspx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vitoria - Gasteiz gets great reviews:
http://www.triathlonvitoria.com/

Quote Reply