Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anyone using the DECLINE function on their treadmill much? [TRIing2Run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRIing2Run wrote:
Check out the info on Down Hill running posted by Jonathan Savage. He is an experienced Ultra runner and uses long downhill run training on a treadmill to get ready for racing ultras. http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Downhill_Running.

He goes so far as to block up the back of his treadmill on 2X4's to increase the decent angle. http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Treadmill_Descent
Late in his build cycles, some of these runs are over 12 miles.

Neat link and ideas, thanks.

I'm still myself a bit leery of sticking 2 x 4's on the back of my treadmill (Sole F80) as I'd be running near the max treadmill speed (def well under 6min/mile) and really taxing the motor. I've done a belt calibration (easy, you just push a few buttons) on it and when it goes faster than 6:30/mile, I get really anxious - and I'm not even on it!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using the DECLINE function on their treadmill much? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Quote:
At 12 mph, this constant speed of the treadmill becomes more pronounced since stride length must go up a lot more to sustain this speed

As speed increases also remember that stride rate increases as well. You won't necessarily get more flight time.
Stride length will increase more but stride rate will go up as velocity increases

Definitely agree it is a combo of both and not all "additional flight" due to stride length increase. But there is some!

To Lightheir, I don't THINK you need to run at treadmill max speed on the decline because you are really going to tax your motor. Even 8-9mph range at minus 2 to minus 4 is probably fine. This way you can run around the speed of your BQ time with low cardio stress but additional eccentric stress and coming back to what Maurice said, the chance of screwing yourself up is lower at lower speed.....same diff between running downhill outdoors at moderate speed vs high speed. How often do you run at 10 mph downhill outdoors for sustained periods in training?
Quote Reply

Prev Next