Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I'm considering rollers and have some questions for those with some experience [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
dangle wrote:
Thanks dangle I really appreciate the detailed feedback.
Regarding the saddle, it's not that I move around very little on the trainer and thus have problems, it's that the bike is rigidly fixed so neither the bike nor the saddle moves while riding. I find my saddle very comfortable on the road and I've done 6hr rides without a problem. However on the trainer, no saddle is as comfortable for me, and this appears to be a common complaint. I expect that since the bike moves a little as you pedal on rollers, similar to outside, that this will be less of an issue. Got it. I'm pretty locked in on the ol' Powerbeam and still find that I get uncomfortable easier on the rollers. That could be unique.

When I say "significant benefit" I'm really just asking if you feel the rollers make worthwhile differences to the outcome of your training above what you would get from just a trainer. From much of what I've read, the suggestion is that rollers promote smooth pedalling as opposed to the pedal mashing that trainers can facilitate if you're not paying attention.
I expect, regardless of whether I get rollers, I'll continue to do FTP and VO2 efforts primarily on the trainer. I see what you're saying. I think you're looking at it the right way too. I guess my thought is there really isn't evidence that mashing vs. 'smooth' pedaling makes you faster. You can train for smooth by working on higher cadence as opposed to hanging out on the rollers. Rollers will do it too though.

The e-motion was what I tried and I was really impressed until I saw the price. It's probably worth that price tag, but I would buy a Magnus with that money and replace the KK well before I would look at e-motion rollers. The fun thing is, you get to do whatever the heck you want with your money and I think you're looking at your options from a very logical perspective.

Cheers. My training buddy is eyeing up an Elite Rampa at the moment (very similar to the Magnus but better value this side of the Atlantic). If he goes ahead, I'll give that a try. I wasn't planning on switching to a smart trainer anytime soon but I might get tempted if I like it!

I have been on one for a couple years now and it really made indoor training much more enjoyable. Since I live an hour from the Cycleops headquarters and have been very impressed with their customer service, I'll probably stick with them. If I lived your way, I could see Elite being the top pick. Have a nice weekend!
Quote Reply
Re: I'm considering rollers and have some questions for those with some experience [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:
I'm still riding 15 year old cheapie Nashbar plastic drum rollers with a resistance unit. I've tried static trainers and I hate them. With proper cooling I'm can make almost as much power indoors for my 2x20s as I can outside. I can't do that with a static trainer, it's nice to be able to rock your hips and move around. After a winter on the rollers my cadence is always high, but then it drops as the summer progresses.

this

for me there is no delta between indoor and outdoor watts when i'm on my rollers. I've done threshold workouts (averaging ~300W) on rollers; however, this does require an additional magnetic resistance unit. I personally don't like lowering pressure to generate additional resistance as it's a lot harder to generate the same amount of power. My Minoura rollers and resistance unit ($250) are perhaps the best bike-related investment i've ever made.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm considering rollers and have some questions for those with some experience [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Total agreement with DarkSpeed on e-motion rollers, and I hear ya they cost more but are way worth it. I'm using mine on Zwift, as I'm sure you could with any rollers, by using a wahoo ant+ speed and cadence sensor, plus my heart rate monitor. All I need to have great workouts in the winter indoors and a realistic feel to my ride that a trainer doesn't give you.

Cheers,

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply

Prev Next