In Reply To:
But I will say, this begs the question "why?"
Certainly would cut down the drafting

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Solo Ironman... [justsometriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a guy in my tri club thinking about doing an indoor ironman...all in his apartment. Swim in an endless pool, bike on the trainer and run on the treadmill.

That's takes a special kind of man, and when I say special I have absolutely no idea what I mean.

Indoor. Solo. Ironman.

?

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: Solo Ironman... [DHeineck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The father of one of my friends in high school ran 60 miles on his 60th birthday. I just happened to be riding in that area when I saw him finish. Sprinting uphill... His wife and grandkids were there to cheer him. Very cool.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Solo Ironman... [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
when I was in the service, we used to tease out bodies by running and rucking by our homes while training for SFAS......this keeps your mind sharp which no doubt is the hardest part of an ironman.....I say punish the body and go for it.

"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it. "
Steve Irwin
Quote Reply
Re: Solo Ironman... [spode] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Feb 1985, when I was stationed in Hawaii with the Army, our tri-club did the "Original Hawaiian Triathlon" over the original IM course on Oahu using the orignal rules (ie, individual support). The swim was two laps in Ala Moana, then out on the bike to cirlce the island, finishing at Aloha tower. My girlfriend and her friend (my support crew) got lost while I going through Kailua and I basically did the bike course on my own stopping as needed and even had a shave ice on NorthShore befo-re climbing up the hill.We had about 18 start, 13 finished. Even had a prerace and post race party at local pizza place, finisher t-shirts donated by Island Tri and Bike and awards from another local running store. Valerie Silk sent a congratulatory telegram and somehow most of us made it into the IM that year.

If you want to do- something like this I would recommend:
1. Approach it as a training event and not a race. Take your time and have fun.
2. Make sure someone knows your route. Carry a cell phone and check in regularly. Map out where you can get fluids, etc.
3. Consider having someone meet you periodically, if for nothing else to check your mental state.
4. Pick a fun run and bike route with low traffic. Try to do the swim in a lake instead of a pool (and use a lifeguard in a boat to accompany you).
5. Get your friends to help and support you.

As for why to do it on your own, because ..........

Good luck and have fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Solo Ironman... [RichG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's cool. I'm in a running club that is very close like that and they're the best group of people I've ever known.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RichG, that just rocks!!!

That is one of the coolest Triathlon stories I've heard so far.

Good for you and your Triclub.
Trae

--
Trae McCombs
TSR - Sponsored by the Masses. Racing for the hell of it.
Ironman Finisher 2005 -- 14:09:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a great story, thanks for sharing it. I've been thinking about doing something like that for years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting.

1. Mark Lemmon, who posts here from time to time, went to IM Hawaii a number of years ago even though he did not qualify, and did what he called SoloMan during IMH race week. He wrote about this a few times in Inside Triathlon. It was good reading.

2. I agree with others that it woul be the run that would be challenging. Bike and swim would be OK. Just make sure that the bike route had a few places to stop to buy provisions. I would set up a run look of between 5 and 10 miles that had a few places to stop to get food/water along the way and you can carry some with you in a water belt or CamelBack.

3. The other strategy would be to get someone to follow along in a car and just hand up food/water when needed. This way you could be a bit more adventurous with route planning.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm all over doing things like this, or at least I'd like to be. Last year I did an Ironman distance event in 24 hours (started Friday around 5:00 and finished up Saturday around 3:00 with a solid night's sleep in the middle). I've been talking with a few friends about doing an "old school" Ironman in the spring. Just going out and doing it, without any real support. If you, or any other Slowtwitchers, are interested in doing one in Chapel Hill, NC, let me know.

When I did my 24 hour Ironman I set it up with two bike loops, one of 32 miles and the other 80. The 80 mile loop had a nice stop in the middle at a gas station, the 32 mile put us back at my place to refuel. The run was a variety of loops, but they were around a neighborhood with a golf course, so it was easy to get water along the way. I'd hate to do something like 26 one-mile runs! All in all, I had a good time and I felt like it was a good workout. I also went much quicker then I could have in a straight up Ironman race. I guess the sleep really helps.

Adam
Quote Reply

Prev Next