Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training camp location between 2017's 70.3 and 140.6 World Championship
Quote | Reply
Hi triathlètes!

I'm Michel, a 58 yo french triathlete. I qualified for both 70.3 and 140.6 2017's World Championships.

My idea is to stay in the US between Chatanooga and Kona races. So, I'm looking for good advices about the best training camp location in this period (from 11th of september to 8th of october).

Most preferably the place should be hot enough for a good acclimatation to Kona's heat and with as few time difference as possible with Kona (jet lag is what I most suffered in my first expériences there).

Thank you in advance for your good advices.

Best regards.
Michel.

PS: I apologize for my poor English.
Quote Reply
Re: Training camp location between 2017's 70.3 and 140.6 World Championship [vank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking just at a map, it seems that San Diego may be the best location. A warm place with an active triathlon scene. Two hours time difference is something you should get over in a week.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Training camp location between 2017's 70.3 and 140.6 World Championship [vank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vank wrote:
Hi triathlètes!

I'm Michel, a 58 yo french triathlete. I qualified for both 70.3 and 140.6 2017's World Championships.

My idea is to stay in the US between Chatanooga and Kona races. So, I'm looking for good advices about the best training camp location in this period (from 11th of september to 8th of october).

Most preferably the place should be hot enough for a good acclimatation to Kona's heat and with as few time difference as possible with Kona (jet lag is what I most suffered in my first expériences there).

Thank you in advance for your good advices.

Best regards.
Michel.

PS: I apologize for my poor English.

Scottsdale, Arizona. Very hot and humid that time of year. Perfect location. Plus you can fly direct to Kona on American Airlines.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you find anywhere in Kona or elsewhere in Hawaii on AirBnB or VRBO?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends on what you want to see and your boredom factor. If you want to see a lot, I really like the San Francisco-San Jose Bay area over Southern California and Arizona. Lots of awesome rides, some great climbs with zero traffic, and you are nearby to good culture and doing all kinds of other things (you can't train all day). you can also fly direct from SFO airport or San Jose airport to Kona If you don't care about boredom factor, then just get over to Hawaii early. Personally I'd get bored in Kona after around 2 weeks, but what better place to train . Also some really nice riders up Kaloko (5000 ft climb), Up to Mauna Kea Access road and Mauna Loa road etc etc. You could plant yourself in Maui also for 10 days and train there (lots of Canadian athletes from the west coast make that a winter getaway) and then go to Kona. You have the big climb to Haleakala if you go to Maui to do aerobar repeats on up to 10,000 ft and then no wind riding to Hawi will get you out of your aero on race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would suggest staying in Chattanooga. It won't help you a ton on the time zone thing but it checks off all your other boxes. The heat in August & September is real, you have open access to miles and miles of roads with good climbing, open water options and greenway/trails to run on. Best of all, it is a pretty cheap place to stay
Quote Reply
Re: Training camp location between 2017's 70.3 and 140.6 World Championship [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:
I would suggest staying in Chattanooga. It won't help you a ton on the time zone thing but it checks off all your other boxes. The heat in August & September is real, you have open access to miles and miles of roads with good climbing, open water options and greenway/trails to run on. Best of all, it is a pretty cheap place to stay

Just as I was typing my above post I was thinking "maybe the OP should just stay in Tennessee" (for all the reasons you say)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check out this camp, they are legitimate.

http://www.qt2systems.com/...49-id.209715488.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go straight to Kona after the 70.3 worlds. It definitely meets your criteria of being similar weather and no time difference. Plus it's a great place to train.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Training camp location between 2017's 70.3 and 140.6 World Championship [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

If you can afford the high cost of living on Hawaii for the month or so, I would go right to Kona too. It will probably provide the best training and acclimation. Otherwise, you could just stay in Chattanooga. I feel like flying a bike anywhere else for the time period between is not worth it. If you want to see the U.S., you could take a road-trip out west going through the Colorado Rockies or grand canyon or both, but that is not conducive to training. If staying on Hawaii for the time in between races is an option, it is hard to beat that from both a training standpoint and a vacation standpoint.

Quote Reply
Re: Training camp location between 2017's 70.3 and 140.6 World Championship [bricewilliams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bricewilliams wrote:
check out this camp, they are legitimate.

http://www.qt2systems.com/...49-id.209715488.html

nice first post
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would try to go right to Hawaii. If not, look at Vegas.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We're starting to see more and more athletes "camp" here in The Woodlands leading up to Kona. It's a receptive tri community with great resources and very hot and very humid at that time of year. Definitely not exciting though as other places like San Diego, Scottsdale, Tucson, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Training camp location between 2017's 70.3 and 140.6 World Championship [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
We're starting to see more and more athletes "camp" here in The Woodlands leading up to Kona. It's a receptive tri community with great resources and very hot and very humid at that time of year. Definitely not exciting though as other places like San Diego, Scottsdale, Tucson, etc.

I wonder how those camps performed this year given that you can't swim the swim course or bike the bike course.

"Come to our IMTX training camp in The Woodlands where you can't train on the actual swim or bike courses but you can run around most of the flat and boring run course. We will show you the swim course and we can drive the bike course, provided you pay for the tolls. Prices start at $999."

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Training camp location between 2017's 70.3 and 140.6 World Championship [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got no idea how the IMTX camps have worked out. Wasn't what I was referring to either. Instead a number of Kona folks have recognized the potential benefits of the extreme heat and humidity that we have to offer in September leading into their final Kona prep. It's not the glamorous or sexy choice but it'd tough to beat our combination of heat and humidity - short of going to Kona which would also get you the wind.
Quote Reply
Re: Training camp location between 2017's 70.3 and 140.6 World Championship [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
I've got no idea how the IMTX camps have worked out. Wasn't what I was referring to either. Instead a number of Kona folks have recognized the potential benefits of the extreme heat and humidity that we have to offer in September leading into their final Kona prep. It's not the glamorous or sexy choice but it'd tough to beat our combination of heat and humidity - short of going to Kona which would also get you the wind.

I knew what you were referring to with the Kona prep crowd. I just had camp and IMTX in my mind while reading your post and thought I'd think out loud.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Training camp location between 2017's 70.3 and 140.6 World Championship [bricewilliams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not Clermont, Florida? For all the reasons everyone goes to train there in the winter, and you will have all the heat and humidity you can stand. And uf you are bored, you can hit every amusement park in Orlando.
Quote Reply