Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can I fit a 25mm tire to my disk?
Quote | Reply
I have an unknown brand disk wheel, currently running a 23mm tire on it.

1.) how do I check to see whether I can run a 25mm? Do I measure internal rim width? How exactly?

2.) would I want to run a 25mm tire?

I know current thinking is wider is better...just want to make sure I'm not following the wider is better mantra blindly.

Tires are GP4000S
Quote Reply
Re: Can I fit a 25mm tire to my disk? [TriNewbieZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will it fit in your frame?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even on a very old narrow rim a 25mm tire will work. Obviously if the rim is wider the profile will look better with a wider tire.
If you want to measure the inside rim width, you'd do it with calipers (verniers, local hardware store)

As to whether you want to run one or not... depends on a lot of things. Common thought is that a wider tire offers a little more forgiving ride and lower rolling resistance, at the cost of some aerodynamics. (narrow is aero and all that) It sort of depends on the rider and the situation.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Can I fit a 25mm tire to my disk? [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt DA3...it would be tight
Quote Reply
Re: Can I fit a 25mm tire to my disk? [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be for IRONMAN South Africa next year so I suppose increased comfort and rolling resistance might be worth loss in aero. Especially considering its the rear wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Install the tire on the wheel. Install the wheel on your bike? Does it fit?

2. Maybe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know if a 25mm rear tire will fit on a 2nd gen Trek SC?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why don't you just lower the pressure on your 23mm a little?

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Can I fit a 25mm tire to my disk? [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm currently running around 90psi in my 23mm tires....not sure if going lower than that is a good idea.

I'm not deadset on fitting the 25mm.....was just trying to get a sense of whether there was a clear "Yes you must definitely run 25mms and please don't tell me you are still using buytl tubes! PS a disk is always faster"
Quote Reply
Re: Can I fit a 25mm tire to my disk? [SwiftRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes sir 25mm Fits on SC gen 2...

Mike

----------------------------------
Owner/General Manager North Central Cyclery, Dekalb IL
http://www.NorthCentralCyclery.com
Quote Reply
Re: Can I fit a 25mm tire to my disk? [TRIDOC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRIDOC wrote:
yes sir 25mm Fits on SC gen 2...

Thanks for the info. I'm going to put some new tires on the race wheels this spring and might as well switch it up a bit and try out a 25 rear for something different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my experience it isn't as simple as 'yes, 25mm tyres fit a Speed Concept'. Mine is 2013 which I think is 2nd generation. A 25mm tyre fits with heaps of clearance when mounted on my old Zipp disc, but won't fit when mounted on my training wheels and rubs on the draft box. I have to run a 24mm on my training wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I fit a 25mm tire to my disk? [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmt wrote:
In my experience it isn't as simple as 'yes, 25mm tyres fit a Speed Concept'. Mine is 2013 which I think is 2nd generation. A 25mm tyre fits with heaps of clearance when mounted on my old Zipp disc, but won't fit when mounted on my training wheels and rubs on the draft box. I have to run a 24mm on my training wheels.

Thanks for the heads up...I'm thinking of putting the 25 on both my Flo 90 and Flo disc (1st gen Flo's). From the sounds of things that should work fine since they are wide rims.
Last edited by: SwiftRunner: Dec 7, 16 13:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SwiftRunner wrote:
Anyone know if a 25mm rear tire will fit on a 2nd gen Trek SC?
My wife is running a Zipp Tangente 25mm on a Zipp Super 9 cc, in her 2015 Trek SC9.

So, yes.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: Can I fit a 25mm tire to my disk? [TRIDOC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SwiftRunner wrote:
rmt wrote:

Thanks for the heads up...I'm thinking of putting the 25 on both my Flo 90 and Flo disc (1st gen Flo's). From the sounds of things that should work fine since they are wide rims.

Those wheels will easily accept a 25c tire. Just make sure your frame has enough room to fit them.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply